Non-acetone????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janeburrows

Reaction score
Hi All
I was recently told that some non-acetone nail varnish remover includes 4% acetone - can this be right?
Seems strange to me since products have to be labelled with thier contents.
Or is it that acetone goes by another name?
Please enlighten me as I cannot understand that this can be true.........

Hi jane,

Just checked my stock of non acetone nail varnish remover and the ingredients are
ETHYL ACETATE, ISO PROPYL ALCOHOL, AQUA,ISO PROPYL MYRISTRATE, PELARGONIUM GRAZEOLENS, VITAMIN E ACETATE.

So in answer to your question is if it says on the bottle non acetone then it doesnt contain any, whereas the ingredients on Acetone is just Acetone and some perfum.

Hope this helps

Claire x

I think you might find that if it is present in a very low percentage then i doesnt need to be mentioned as an ingredient.

I am very interested to hear any info on this subject too ! any good info anyone? :)

Many moons ago before I was a Nail tech I used to wear stick-ons from boots (deep shame!) :o . Sally Hanson non-acetone polish remover used to melt the plastic so that must contain some level of acetone.

I've been doing some asking of "them in the know" with the other products I use & not got a definative answer on it globaly but this is what I have found out ........

from Orly R&D Chemist:
"There are so many Polish remover products out there in the market place. It is virtually impossible to verify the integrity of all manufacturers. Some may stick with their products' claim, and others may not. However, according to CTFA (Cosmetic Toiletries Fragrant Association), it is illegal to intentionally mislead public/consumers with a false products' statement.

All Orly nail polish removers contain either acetone or MEK as an active ingredient, but not together. Both are very sufficient solvent in removing nail polish. MEK is known as a milder solvent compare to acetone. Consequently, Orly has been used MEK for years in Orly Nail Polish Remover-Gentle Formula which is truly a non oily/non-acetone product."

from Nailtiques National Training Manager: "Unfortunately I can’t comment on other brands of polish remover, but I can tell you that there is no Acetone in the Nailtiques remover, the main ingredient is Ethyl Acetate which is a solvent to help dissolve polish."

Soooooooooo, not really got an answer to the original question, sorry Jane, I tried :lol:

Latest posts

Back