Non-medic aesthetic course recommendations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of many girls who have been to nurses/doctors for their fillers, lip and cheeks and have since been elsewhere because although they know how to inject they had no idea how to achieve an aesthetically pleasing result. I am aware this is not the case for every nurse/doctor out there but precisely the point that we are trying to make, not all beauty therapists should be tarred with the same title as being incapable. In respect with the medical background and something going wrong, any thorough course on injecting fillers would teach you how to deal with this. I have absolutely no intention of a fast track fillers course, why on earth would i want to potentially harm people, hence why I am doing my research on courses/companies.

Not sure of your point there, but if one person says so it must be true [emoji848]

If a few nurses frown upon beauty therapists for performing lip fillers then their opinions are correct ..... right?

I know of many girls who have been to nurses/doctors for their fillers, lip and cheeks and have since been elsewhere because although they know how to inject they had no idea how to achieve an aesthetically pleasing result. I am aware this is not the case for every nurse/doctor out there but precisely the point that we are trying to make, not all beauty therapists should be tarred with the same title as being incapable. In respect with the medical background and something going wrong, any thorough course on injecting fillers would teach you how to deal with this. I have absolutely no intention of a fast track fillers course, why on earth would i want to potentially harm people, hence why I am doing my research on courses/companies.

Exactly. You’ve taken the words right out of my mouth!! Exactly what I lacked in my quick replies whilst travelling.
This subject will always have a divided opinion, however - I stand by mine! Xx

Not sure of your point there, but if one person says so it must be true [emoji848]

Just another couple of things I found on a thread on here. Worth a read!

Attachments

• E3C1D2E6-5BC0-4DFD-90ED-91A0717F9151.png
    E3C1D2E6-5BC0-4DFD-90ED-91A0717F9151.png
    450.3 KB · Views: 98
I would always say if you can find a really good course then consider the time / cost to train and how long you think it will take you to earn that money back.

I would be cautious. You may find a good course and be great at it... but it only takes a stroke of a legislative pen ( in my case an EU directive a few years ago )... and that part of your business will be gone. :(

For me... I had some of the best training in the country in Chinese patent herbs... and now I can't prescribe, can't even buy them for myself and all the retail companies that used to stock then have either closed or diversified into other things.

I would always say if you can find a really good course then consider the time / cost to train and how long you think it will take you to earn that money back.

I would be cautious. You may find a good course and be great at it... but it only takes a stroke of a legislative pen ( in my case an EU directive a few years ago )... and that part of your business will be gone. :(

For me... I had some of the best training in the country in Chinese patent herbs... and now I can't prescribe, can't even buy them for myself and all the retail companies that used to stock then have either closed or diversified into other things.

Similar situation to teeth whitening. Im not getting into an argument about opinions on who should/shouldnt be doing it, but if legislation changes then that part of your business is wiped out. Thats a valid point/concern xx

The HEE has stated that they will not be legislating against Beauty Therapists training and performing injectables, this is related to people self injecting with Insulin. Rather the HEE has stated that the industry would better suit self regulation. Therefore the JCCP, is currently working on creating training programmes that will bridge the gap for beauty therapists that will be associated with and provide appropriate insurance. The insurance industry will be relied upon in the future to regulate the Aesthetics industry by blocking insurance for those not adequately trained. After my own research I have found a few training providers that the JCCP is working with, these are Sally Durant (Level 4 Skin Rejuvenation), the Harley Academy (Level 4 Skin Rejuvenation) and MATA (Level 4 and 5 Laser and IPL) If you train with these providers then you are almost guaranteed to be okay in the future and not need to retrain as these providers are registered training providers with the JCCP.

I have had lip fillers applied by a midwife on maternity leave, she had no clue about how the product was spreading in my lip and did a bit of a cowboy job to be honest. If I had known then what I know now, I would have refused to pay for it. It looked fine on the outside but I could feel lumps below my lips on the inside of my mouth and the standard was just not there. Being a registered nurse does not mean you are any good at aesthetics. There should be a direct training route for aesthetics and I think this is in the pipeline courtesy of IQ and the JCCP, although this has been whispered about for 2 years now.

So in my opinion I would recommend taking a training course at Level 4/5 with the above mentioned trainers as they are already enrolled with the JCCP as meeting the standards of the register so it is likely that their courses will be the basis for the Bridging qualifications coming in the near future.

Last edited:
http://www.industryqualifications.o...level-7-mean-in-the-aesthetic-medicine-sector

Read the whole article on the above link for more information regarding the future of Beauty Therapy aesthetics.

Subsequently this link will take you to a page showing 3 training providers working with the JCCP.

https://www.jccp.org.uk/EducationAndTrainingProvider/entry-requirements

Furthermore the below link is the page confirming the IQ bridging qualification is currently being developed in accordance with JCCP and the HEE guidelines.

http://www.industryqualifications.o...asing-queries-in-regards-to-l7-in-injectables

Personally I am looking at the Level 4 Certificate in Skin Rejuvenation £3600 inc Vat offered by the Harley Academy as I am sure that this will become part of the pathway to the bridging course but the full Diploma by LCBT with Sally Durant will definitely not put you on the wrong path but it's very expensive if you don't qualify for the 19+ Advanced learning loan.

https://www.harleyacademy.com/training-courses/level-4-skin-rejuvenation/

https://www.lcbt.co.uk/aesthetic-pr...diploma-advanced-skin-studies-and-aesthetics/

Last edited:
I would have already guessed you were a nurse - you didn’t even need to say lol.
As you mentioned at the end of your reply, “if you do an injectables course, make sure this is covered” thanks for the advice we all already knew :confused:? Obviously we would ensure this is covered lol.

Go beauty therapists!
Woah why so rude?!

Ive only just caught up with this thread, no need to attack me. Yes I am a registered nurse and I am a qualified aesthetic practitioner. I don't frown upon beauticians doing fillers!

My point was HOW would you rectify a mistake. Where would you get your POMs? It's the same for anyone doing fillers who isn't a prescriber, nurses too.

My point is that I want to be taught these things & to be able to practice aesthetics properly and safely. This is why I am doing such research on courses. It should be possible to train in aesthetics safely to enable people other than nurses and doctors to practice without all of the judging. If it were possible to do a degree in aesthetics I would take that route, but i'm not prepared to study nursing for numerous years when a vast amount of the course content is not related.

I think there should be such as Aesthetic Doctors Degree for people who are interested only in Aesthetics

When I look at the link to the Harley academy training the page no longer exists. And when I look at the lcbt link the course doesn’t cover dermal fillers and injectables. I’m currently studying level 3 beauty therapy. And want to learn how to perform dermal fillers, can anyone help me?

Have a look at CTIA I haven’t trained but there are a lot of people that recommend it

Bad press or not. I think it’s disgusting, a lot of Medical professionals don’t like that beauty therapists CAN legally train in these treatments because it’s competition for them. Remember years ago they could charge about £700 for these type of aesthetic treatments? Well now because there’s so much competition they can’t charge that much. That’s what they don’t like it. I’ve found a course where I’m training in jan and it’s all legal. Frowned upon or NOT!!! X
Where and who did you train with for fillers?

Hi how did you girls get on with your training? I'm looking into it myself and currently looking for the best place to train,your feedback would be so appreciated xxx

Ive only just caught up with this thread, no need to attack me. Yes I am a registered nurse and I am a qualified aesthetic practitioner. I don't frown upon beauticians doing fillers!

My point was HOW would you rectify a mistake. Where would you get your POMs? It's the same for anyone doing fillers who isn't a prescriber, nurses too.

I am in agreement with you. Firstly, i think that how t
A nursing degree is in NO WAY aesthetics. You are caring for patients. Bed baths etc etc. I am at university studying an Aesthetic practitioner course - laser treatments, chemical peels etc. And I’m already a beauty therapist anatomy and physiology trained. It’s not about just painting nails. We have more knowledge of the skin than nurses do. This is FACT (a doctor came and did a talk and told us that) ;)

Once finishing your adult nursing degree - you go on to do a separate course in injectables ... THE SAME COURSE BEAUTY THERAPISTS TAKE!!!!!!!!
Get over it!!

From someone who has done the nursing degree, i can tell you that we intensly study the skin as it is considered a vital organ. We study the cellular chemistry, all layers and all about any forms of soft tissue in great detail. We do this learning with all of the organs in the body. We are trained to recognise and treat common skin conditions and the anatomy and physiology of the face. So your statement is not a fact. It is actually far from it. FYI, we are not trained in giving bed baths... HCAs mostly do that part. Your lack of knowledge and bulshy oppinions are ammusing. You lack etiquette and doubt youll make it far in this industry as your attitude frankly stinks.

Have a look at CTIA I haven’t trained but there are a lot of people that recommend it
Hey did anyone train here? I’m looking around fro the best place

Hey did anyone train here? I’m looking around fro the best place
Hi,
I did a microblading course at a place called BTBA in Nottingham, I know they do aesthetics courses, I’ve not done it myself but I have friends that have been on the course and said their course was very thorough. They only allow 2 people on the course at a time as well. Check them out on Facebook x

Latest posts

Back