non-paying client - any advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would deffo go down the debt collection route, heck, I'd even make one up out of thin air on headed paper....... then see if the money appears!

In all seriousness, this is as good as theft. Contact your local police station and see what they say. Sometimes, under certain circumstances you can report things like this.

Some people make my blood boil!

Have you checked other salons near you, coz she sounds like she's doing her rounds and getting a free set each time, leaving tones of nail techs out of pocket!! id phone a few nail/beauty salons up if i was you, and ask if this has happened to them, you might be surprised... and dont forget she'l have to go somwhere in a few weeks for her infill and she sound like she's avoiding you, so why not nail all her option doors shut before she gets there!! and that'l stop her in her tracks, and at the end of the day, its safty in numbers if it HAS happened to other salons.
Failing all that, id deffo send her a letter on headed note paper and make it official. She cant get away with this, and it'l fester away at you for months if she does, and it'l take the enjoyment out of what we do.
Good luck, and keep us posted, I for one is dying to know how this one ends!
See Ya
CAZ X

Spending more money and time trying to get your money is not what you should have to do. Recorded letters etc. You put in the time,effort and products therefore it is business as usual! If her home is near to you call on her again with a writen statement of how much £ and whoever answers the door request that they settle with you and they claim from her! As you are owed and do not want to keep coming back to ask for it. It simply is not ethical or business like. Do you have a big guy you can take with you as the 'heavy mob' to back you up. I suggest that having back up of any type is a good thing it makes a statement of support and strength. I hope you get your hard earned money! Best wishes, Debbie X

I still say go round there and just ask her for the money before you start jumping the gun and paying out money tbh.

thats so out of order babes...:hug:

Ok I have asked for advice on your behalf ( hope you dont mind ) on an advice and a Question and answer website.
i posted it in business and in civil law.

Here is a reply i got from the post in business.

Firstly send another letter by registered post asking for payment within 14 days.

Keep a copy and attach the post office receipt.

If no reply you could go down the legal route and send a letter of intent, also by registered post. This should state that if payment is not received within 28 days then a summons will be raised in the Small Claims' Court.

Or you could use an old trick - a quick note on a postcard - 'Just a reminder that you owe.... £x' and put the number of the house next door on by accident.

Sadly it is a fact that all businesses must allow for a per centage of loss through non-paying customers.

I will let you know if i get any other advice. x

Tons of excellent ideas.
I would,
1. call
2. write
3. if nothing let her go

I had a woman that I provided service for almost 3 years.
Her last visit's ticket was almost $100. Her check bounced (my daughters were still at home, I needed the money.)
Fast forward before Christmas 2007, She's baccccccck.
I explained I would get her in...
Everytime she called, until she finally asked if I was mad.
I told her no way, I wasn't mad just like her check was paid 3 years ago.
She said she would do whatever it took to make it right, I told her that this was business and 3 years was a bit too long, to get a clue and take her rubber checks elsewhere.
I would not have done that if I wasn't over booked as it is, or if my children were still living at home.
The way I look at it is, I dont need the money now, I needed it when I had children to take care of.
I still havent seen the money, but what can she say, I didn't take her back as a client because she owed me not just the bounced check but fees and interest?

Well now, I have sat and read all this and digested it and thought carefully about how I would deal with it.

There's no getting away from the fact that she has a bloo.y cheek. Whatever the outcome, blacklist her and NEVER do her a service again.

I would send a letter, as already suggested, giving 7 days to pay or else place the matter into legal hands. (Doesn't matter if you actually do that or not, the threat of it may work anyway). I don't know what it would cost you to have a solicitor send a letter, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be worthwhile.

But as awful as what she has done is, I wouldn't put my blood pressure up by stressing over it. You can spend a LOT of time festering away over something like this and it does no good really. It will always bug you, for sure. It would bug me too. But, you know, negative emotions and negative energy are so, so draining and it would be much more positive to use the experience to shape how you run your business from now on. Simply use it as a learning experience and draw up some guidelines. ie. NEVER work with the understanding that you will be paid later. (If it's a long standing trusty client who simply hasn't had time to go to the bank, you might decide to waive your rules!)

See what you can take from the experience in a positive way. Do what you can to retrieve your money (I hope you get it). When I was first doing nails, I was "bullied" into giving refunds on a couple of occasions, which were definitely NOT due . . . but I gave in due to lack of experience and a feeling that the customer must always be right. I know better know, so although I lost money at the time, I probably gained something else from it.

Anyway, you ARE due the money, and I hope you get it sorted without too much hassle. :hug:

Thank you all for your positive replies, I have put a polite reminder letter through her door this morning again. I have heard since she has pulled this off with another salon.

I will keep you posted and let you know the outcome. In my years of working in this business I have never come across a client who came without money to pay for their treatment. Thanks again for all your kind replies. xx

It is soo typical that people you really make an effort for and go out of your way to do something for, turn around and do something like this.:mad:
It is really true that if you treat them mean you keep them keen, I see this all the time.
Deffo don't let go on this one, just out of principal, I think it is a good idea to maybe get a debt collector involved.

Ok I have asked for advice on your behalf ( hope you dont mind ) on an advice and a Question and answer website.
i posted it in business and in civil law.

Here is a reply i got from the post in business.

Firstly send another letter by registered post asking for payment within 14 days.

Keep a copy and attach the post office receipt.

If no reply you could go down the legal route and send a letter of intent, also by registered post. This should state that if payment is not received within 28 days then a summons will be raised in the Small Claims' Court.

Or you could use an old trick - a quick note on a postcard - 'Just a reminder that you owe.... £x' and put the number of the house next door on by accident.

Sadly it is a fact that all businesses must allow for a per centage of loss through non-paying customers.

I will let you know if i get any other advice. x

what a sweetie you are :hug::hug:

so she has tried this before....what a shocker :eek:...who does she think she is.....some people .....was she brought up or dragged!!! xx

two words for you and us all

LEARNING CURVE!

Unfortunately, incidents like this are what make us cynical.

I often have clients turn up and think they can pay with a card, but I only take cash or cheque. I have to admit to fretting until I know that they've nipped over to the bank to get the cash out and give it to reception.

I have told the receptionist to tell all new clients that its strictly cash or cheque cos my tummy can't take the stress of it!

Hi, I think you should chase it up, and maybe catch her on an evening, make sure you dont park your car outside and wear another coat, with a hood up.

If you are going to chase it up through the courts, just remember you could end up further out of pocket. So it might not be worth doing it in the long run.

Maybe before you start doing treatments on new people, you could just say something like, "how are you paying me today?? as I havent been to the bank yet and want to make sure that I have the correct change to give you"

And then you know that they do have the cash up front.

hhhmmmmm, I'm thinking back to my days when I worked in the criminal justice system, and so if the law has moved on since then and I'm wrong I apologise, but it may be worth you looking into this:

It was (hopefully still is) a criminal offence to procure services without means to pay for them. this law was to cover circumstances which could not be described as shoplifting as the business has provided the goods or service in good faith that the customer has the means to pay, but by the time it becomes transparent that the customer cannot pay, its too late to retrieve the goods or service eg, meal in a restaurant, taxi ride, etc.

Perhaps you could ring the police and ask if they can assist with someone who has procured your services by falsely claiming that they will pay.

As I say, I'm not sure if its still the same, or even if the police can help in parctical terms, but its worth a try and certainly a damn sight cheaper than civil action. Good luck!

It's the absolute cheek of her to even turn up and not have the money in her pocket. I wouldn't even dream of doing this and saying I'll bring it tonight, never mind then not paying it.
You must have steam coming out your ears!:irked:
:hug:to you for all your hastles!
Marion x

Just had to let you know, after putting another reminder through her door this morning, I have just had an envelope through the door with my payment. Written on the back, shes happy with her nails and had forgotten about paying me.

After the first reminder Monday, then a second one today. Im glad I didnt have to take it further. But, a lesson learnt.

Thanks so much for all your support and advice. Lots of love. xxx

Just had to let you know, after putting another reminder through her door this morning, I have just had an envelope through the door with my payment. Written on the back, shes happy with her nails and had forgotten about paying me.

After the first reminder Monday, then a second one today. Im glad I didnt have to take it further. But, a lesson learnt.

Thanks so much for all your support and advice. Lots of love. xxx

good to hear you got what you deserved xxxx

Latest posts

Back