non-paying client - any advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pippadoodle

Reaction score
Last Wednesday I had a phone call from a new client asking me if I could do a full set of nails before Friday. I apologised and said I was booked for the next two days.

She went on to ask would I have time to soak off a set of nails she had on from another tech as was not very happy with them, and as she only lived around the corner from me, could I do her a nno or full set when I could fit her in.

I put myself out and worked later than I normally do and soaked off her old set and did a french nno, to which she said she very pleased and would pop the money round later on that evening.

A week later, I am still waiting for payment, I did put a polite note through her door on Monday, asking her to give me a ring and enquiring was she disappointed with her nails or was there a problem. Please could she ring me if there was. As I was still awaiting payment.

I have not heard a word.

Part of me feels, I should let this go, but then again I am appauled that she has done this.

Any advice on what to do, do I let it go, or take it further?

i could right something real nasty which is violence...so i wont.....have you rang her huni ?????....personally i would get your money....1) she can tell her friends to do the same 2) that is showing you NO respect....keep calling her and going round...and when you see her ask her nicely for your money xx

I wouldn't let it go. Can you not try and ring her? If she's having a problem she can ignore the door but she wont know who's calling on the phone. I cant believe she didn't bring money with her to start with! :hug:

I have tried ringing several times but she is never there or am told she is working:hug:

i am sure it's classed as theft. I would write her a letter and send it recorded delivery so it has to be signed for, state in the letter the service you provided and the costs to be paid. Personally I would start charging her interest on a daily basis too. Good luck, dont let it drop, you worked hard for your money x

.... and if you do decide to give her a call (which imo you should do), dial 141 before her number, just in case she has Caller ID and tries to avoid answering.

Let us know how you get on though.

What a cheek. Even if she was a bit strapped for cash (then she shouldnt be getting her nails done knowing she couldnt pay) She could still have the common courtesy to explain that. I hate things like this, it really makes me wild, as nanna would say from catherine tate " F#!king Liberty "!!!!.
When you next see her in the street make sure you say loudly "Hello, have you got that money you owe me".:mad::mad::mad:

What was her reason for not having the money when you did them? did she tell you she didnt have the money before you did them? I cant believe the cheek of some people and I definitely would let it go. I would sit outside her house and wait for her to show!

do not let it goes

she owes you money

keep hounding her until you get it

I wasnt too concerned that she didnt have the money at first, (although I would never go and have a treatment without any money) I guess Im far too trusting and just assumed she would pop it round later that evening.

The best of it is though, she was telling me how she had paid £200 to have her hair cut and coloured.

I think I am a fair enough person, I believe I had done a good job, if she did have any complaint whatsoever I would be more than happy to put it right, what would a phone call take. But to have to chase money and have no response is beyond me. I have tried 141 when calling, incase she has user id. Im just baffled and getting more annoyed by the day to say the least.

Its not just the money, its the audacity of this woman. I dont think she should be short of money either as she was telling me how much she spends on clothes, holidays, meals etc etc and what a well paid job she has!!

Thanks for your replies, I just needed to get this off my chest and speak to people who understand how this makes me feel. Mug id say xx

I wasnt too concerned that she didnt have the money at first, (although I would never go and have a treatment without any money) I guess Im far too trusting and just assumed she would pop it round later that evening.

The best of it is though, she was telling me how she had paid £200 to have her hair cut and coloured.

I think I am a fair enough person, I believe I had done a good job, if she did have any complaint whatsoever I would be more than happy to put it right, what would a phone call take. But to have to chase money and have no response is beyond me. I have tried 141 when calling, incase she has user id. Im just baffled and getting more annoyed by the day to say the least.

Its not just the money, its the audacity of this woman. I dont think she should be short of money either as she was telling me how much she spends on clothes, holidays, meals etc etc and what a well paid job she has!!

Thanks for your replies, I just needed to get this off my chest and speak to people who understand how this makes me feel. Mug id say xx

I maybe wrong but it seems to me everything she told you reeks of bullpoo.
OR She may have all those nice things but does she actually pay for them?
I really hope you get it sorted, :hug:.

I'm flabbergasted that someone shows up for a service and doesn't have the money.
Someone tried that once with me, and as it was a first timer that I didn't know from a hole in the wall.. I simply said "ok, I'll remove them, then".
She fished out her wallet (I think someone else here does that, and that's where I got the idea)

Do as suggested: send a recorded letter and start charging interest and threaten to call the police for 'robbery' for that's indeed what she did. Much like walking out of a store without paying.

Good luck and keep us posted.

As you know her address why not go round in person and just say "Hi have you forgotten the money you owe for your treatment hun" and smile very sweetly:)
Worth a try eh?

What a cheek. Even if she was a bit strapped for cash (then she shouldnt be getting her nails done knowing she couldnt pay) She could still have the common courtesy to explain that. I hate things like this, it really makes me wild, as nanna would say from catherine tate " F#!king Liberty "!!!!.
When you next see her in the street make sure you say loudly "Hello, have you got that money you owe me".:mad::mad::mad:

Someone may correct me, but I'm of the understanding here that if you ask a debtor for money in the street or a public place, then the debt becomes void and obsolete. So DO NOT ASK HER FOR MONEY IN THE STREET.

I would draft up an invoice on the PC, add on the bottom - payment required by return of post or further action will be taken. Seek advice from your local Business Link as they amy also be able to advise you.

I hate cheeky tw*ts like this, it's a bloody cheek.

I had a woman bounce 2 cheques on me, I had not got round to banking one by the time I got the other. Anyhow, they bounced. A friend of mine runs a debt collection agency and he dealt with it for me - ended up costing her £250+ and the 2 cheques only came to around £55. She had to pay court costs & his charges I ended up with £95!
It may be worth ringing a small agency and asking if they would be interested in this sort of thing - my mate did it as he's my mate iykwim. He's gone to live in the US now tho!

Drop her a letter, through the mail, recorded delivery, telling her that she owes you this amount, and she has until such a date to pay.

Also politely include that you take non-payment very seriously, and whilst it's not personal and you are sure its just an oversight on her part, that if you need to take further steps to recover the debt, you will. There are debt collection agencies around and on line now that will send a letter for you for little more than a fiver. This usually makes the money appear!

Both my husband and I have learnt the hard way and I know that there are some groups of people that one will actually try it on, and then tell their friends how to get the same services for free and it riles me so much that people will do this, and we can then end up getting hit more than once. I take the attitude that even if i need to spend the equivalent on recovering the debt, these people shouldn't get away with it, and the money isn't staying in their pocket even if it doesn't make it to mine!

Good luck hun....don't let it drop.

You should definitely get in touch. Maybe call round in person when its obvious there's someone home. This is you livelyhood and your rep's at stake. Imagine if she started to spread her story!

She has no right to do this. When I get a new client (i'm mobile), i explain the costs to her of my work - in a friendly way - and if they say they haven't a way to pay I arrange another appointment. You're a business - not a charity.

Good luck :hug:

Hi Hun,
What a cheeky mare. Gets you worried when a new client comes in, you will be wondering if they will pull the same stunt, I know it seems a bit harsh on everyone else, but maybe you should put a little sign on you desk asking clients to pay up front, you can tell them it is to protect polish that may not be properly dry, or to help them when their new nails are on, most can't even open their bags with a new set on, or get into jeans pockets etc. Good luck, but don't give up. lol x

I think everyone is right - dont let her get away with it - what a flippin cheek !

Also agree with Bettyboo - does sound a bit like she is a fibber !

One thing that stood out a bit for me was the part where you enquired if there was a problem and was she happy with what you had done.......I would be careful here as it could give her a clue that if she were to claim to be dissatisfied and complain she might get away without paying you or that you were open to the suggestion that the nails werent up to scratch. She may well have done the same to the last tech she attended whose nails she wasnt happy with !

You did the work and she should pay you simple as.

Good luck.

Im not a nail geek. But GOSH! thats awful how could someone do such a thing, they dont actualy realise we use our stuff & our time to treat these people and she has the cheek not to pay. If i was you sweetie id keep on and on and on till she gives u the money knock on her door and confront her because thats plain out of order :hug: hope u get ur money xx

I think everyone is right - dont let her get away with it - what a flippin cheek !

Also agree with Bettyboo - does sound a bit like she is a fibber !

One thing that stood out a bit for me was the part where you enquired if there was a problem and was she happy with what you had done.......I would be careful here as it could give her a clue that if she were to claim to be dissatisfied and complain she might get away without paying you or that you were open to the suggestion that the nails werent up to scratch. She may well have done the same to the last tech she attended whose nails she wasnt happy with !

You did the work and she should pay you simple as.

Good luck.

good point here...dont ask if there was anything wrong with the nails ...she might say ...yeah so i am not paying you....she is obviously avoiding you ...so do caller id like noodle said and send her a letter recorded like someone else suggested ..let us know how it goes xxxx

Latest posts

Back