Non paying client - what to do!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Garfield*

Reaction score
Okay,I have a client who is a nightmare. I dont mean shes rude or anything like that, but she repeatedly comes and gets her nails and waxing done, and when Im finnished says shes forgot her purse/cashpoint was broken etc, and I have to wait for 2 weeks for her to cough up!:irked:

This client also dosnt look after her nails, and usually ends up biting them off within 2 weeks, as she says they lift. I dont have any other clients who have probs with lifting to this extent, and I have just found out that this lady takes class A drugs, on a regular basis.:eek: (Her sister in law has told me). Does anyone know if class A drugs would cause lifting?

She has just text me to book in again, and I dont know what to say!:cry: Im quite buisy at the moment, so not desperate for clients, but shes never rude or anything, she does spend a quite a bit as shes not short of money and I quite get on with her....its just the paying prob, and the fact she trashes her nails. sooo, I would REALLY like some advise pleeease!:hug:

I would be extremely candid with her and lay it on the line.

Thank her for the booking but tell her that she will have to pay you on the day for the work done. This is only normal after all and that if she cannot guarantee to do that for you, you cannot accept her booking.
When she comes to the salon before you start just ask politely if she can settle up with you that day .. BEFORE you start. Why should you be embarrassed by her inability to pay you on time? She can be as nice as pie, but if she can't pay on the day you can't do the service. and be nice as pie when you tell her.
Phrases like ... I'm sure you understand that this is standard for anyone etc always work well ...

I hope you are charging her for a full set each time she comes, having bitten them all off. I would ask her to pay before you do the treatment - unfortunately you might end up not doing the treatment but at least you wont have done the treatment and also not been paid - does that make sense.

Alternatively you could be too busy to fit her in.

Forgot to add, she often dosnt turn up as well, to the extend where I now charge her if she dosnt give me notice! Shes a real pain in the butt sometimes!
Yes, I always charge her for a full set, she never complains about it. Im a bit fed up with turning other people away and her not comming, or not paying though, so I thing I may have to be 'fully booked' for a while!:rolleyes:

i dont know how these people dare! i would never go in to any shop be it beauty/hair/tesco's etc with no money?!
i think its bad for you because i know if it was me i would really resent doing her treatments....she obviously just thinks its okay to not turn up and not pay etc... if you are not desperate for the clients i would get rid...i had a lady similar she would mess me around ring me 30 mins before the appointment and say she couldnt make it after i would have tried my best to fit her in...i just got fed up and i kept telling her i was busy and couldnt fit her in when she wanted....she got the message now shes probably doing the same to someone else lol thats awful of me i know!

I think a lot of the prob is that last year when I was expecting, I really cut back on my hours, so was short on clients. This meant I put up with it and never really said anything, also I got quite pally with the clients I had then, because I went through a lot and they were around, but now im buisy its becomming a real problem, I find it really difficult to stand up to her, but I know Ive got to stop being a doormat!:cry:

Thanks for your replys guys.:hug:

good luck, im sure you will be fine x

geeg said:
I would be extremely candid with her and lay it on the line.

Thank her for the booking but tell her that she will have to pay you on the day for the work done. This is only normal after all and that if she cannot guarantee to do that for you, you cannot accept her booking.
When she comes to the salon before you start just ask politely if she can settle up with you that day .. BEFORE you start. Why should you be embarrassed by her inability to pay you on time? She can be as nice as pie, but if she can't pay on the day you can't do the service. and be nice as pie when you tell her.
Phrases like ... I'm sure you understand that this is standard for anyone etc always work well ...
I totaly agree with Geegs advice, dont give her any more treatments untill she has payed up hun xxxx

naturalnails said:
I hope you are charging her for a full set each time she comes, having bitten them all off. I would ask her to pay before you do the treatment - unfortunately you might end up not doing the treatment but at least you wont have done the treatment and also not been paid - does that make sense.

Alternatively you could be too busy to fit her in.

I also ask for payment before i do the actual treatment, i just say that its better to get sorted now just in case they smudge polish etc.
Obviously this tactic doesn't work if im doing waxing lol !
I also have a client that gives me post dated cheques all the time, she doesn't even ask 1st, sometimes i don't even notice until im back at home.

Hi,

I have a list of my terms and conditions I show my clients whilst filling out their C.R.D. It allows them to know what they can expect from me and visa versa. So far, touch wood, I've not had any probs' because of it. I also make a silly joke of not wanting to spoil their nails looking for money.

HTH

i've never had a client who couldn't pay me, unless it was a mate who told me when she booked the appt, but they always pay up a day later. i would never make a booking with a proper client who told me she couldn't pay, if she did tell me after i'd carried the service out, she would only do it once, as i would get the money up front next time or politely tell her i couldn't carry out the service.

always try and remember, nails are a luxury, not a necessity. they won't starve to death if you refuse a treatment. and you have a business to run (it also helps if you don't get too pally pally with your clients for this exact reason). it's especially hard if you work from home because for some reason clients think they can take the mick because its not a "real" business in their eyes, so you have to start as you mean to go on!

nailaholic said:
Okay,I have a client who is a nightmare. I dont mean shes rude or anything like that, but she repeatedly comes and gets her nails and waxing done, and when Im finnished says shes forgot her purse/cashpoint was broken etc, and I have to wait for 2 weeks for her to cough up!:irked:

This client also dosnt look after her nails, and usually ends up biting them off within 2 weeks, as she says they lift. I dont have any other clients who have probs with lifting to this extent, and I have just found out that this lady takes class A drugs, on a regular basis.:eek: (Her sister in law has told me). Does anyone know if class A drugs would cause lifting?

She has just text me to book in again, and I dont know what to say!:cry: Im quite buisy at the moment, so not desperate for clients, but shes never rude or anything, she does spend a quite a bit as shes not short of money and I quite get on with her....its just the paying prob, and the fact she trashes her nails. sooo, I would REALLY like some advise pleeease!:hug:

I have also recently been put in a similar position by one of my clients. This client called me prior to her appt, saying her cheque hadnt cleared, could she pop the money to me in a couple of days, to which i said OK then. So, true to her word, she did, and the same thing happened the next time, but again, she did pay up. However the next time she didnt come in, and rang the day before her next appt, saying i kno i still owe you x amount, and im booked in tomorrow, can i still keep the appt and drop all the money off on Fri! Stupidly i said yes, and the amount as you can imagine is getting bigger and bigger. I heard nothing from her, for 2 weeks, so i sent her a letter basically saying the would she be so kind enough to drop the payment in for her last 2 appts, as i am concerened the amount is getting quite high, and dont want to have to refuse her next treatment. It worked and shes been as good as gold ever since.

Ditto ditto ditto.

Charge her BEFORE you start and charge full price for the work done.
She's taking advantage of you.
Put a stop before she ends up owing you to the point that you'll never get it.

good luck

OK it sounds ot me like she's a ditz, not someone who's trying to pull one over on you. I agree with Gigi advice to be firm with her. When she comes in ask her for the money, if she doesn't have it, for whatever simple say, "I'm sorry I can not do treatments without payment", & charge her a cancellation fee. As you've said she pay for everything without complaint. SO just be firm with her.

i would tell her straight that if she cannot pay on THE day then you cannot do her nails anymore. this would really make me mad. and by the way what is class a drugs? :confused:

VHunter said:
Ditto ditto ditto.

Charge her BEFORE you start and charge full price for the work done.
She's taking advantage of you.
Put a stop before she ends up owing you to the point that you'll never get it.

good luck

DOODAH!!! Wow, all the best xx

how about taking payment in advance when she makes the booking, that way she may be less likely to miss the appointment, even if you took a non refundable deposit of £10.00 it might do the trick.

I've only ever had this problem once. A regular client messed up her cheque so I said no worries, I'll put it on your card but no she hadn't brought that with her (even though she'd need it to pay by cheque anyway). Oh well, she says, I'll pop in with it when I get paid, better yet, I'll borrow my mum's card & come back later. Couldn't do that as the mum couldn't come with her & she wanted to use it without her mum's consent as she knows her PIN. So she said she'd come back in about an hour. I had no choice but to let her go in the end & just hope she was coming back. About 2 hours later she phoned to say she wasn't coming but her husband would come in next week & pay! Needless to say I wasn't very happy about this. A couple of days later I was just telling my assistant that I had basically given up on getting the money when in walks the client's husband to pay! She has been back since & did pay straight away so I know she was genuine. Some people are just forgetful & don't consider how they are going to pay beforehand.

I did say to this lady that I couldn't do it again & that if she hadn't been a client I would have soaked the nails off again before I let her out of the salon without paying. You can't change your policy for one client, best to be blunt with her, I'm sure she'll understand that you are running a business,not doing favours.

I now mention to new clients that we don't take cheques but are happy to take cards if they prefer not to pay in cash. That way I have mentioned payment right at the start so they think about it but without being too blunt! I also have a little sign by my nail station with the logos of all the cards I accept on for clients to see. I recommend that clients having enamel get out their money & keys before I start too.

Latest posts

Back