Non-professional products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairbyJess

Reaction score
Okay so please bear with me on this...
With my clients I often wax lyrical on the benefits of using a professional shampoo and conditioner to maintain their colour / help with dry hair etc. However I often find that no matter how much I try they are reluctant to use because of the cost, despite my tactful warnings that only a professional shampoo won't strip colour etc. To illustrate, Matrix colour shampoo that I retail costs £5.50 for 300ml, and you can pick up a branded colour shampoo at the supermarket £2.50 for 900ml.

Now I'm very aware of the importance of using professional products to maintain, but for the clients that will not budge (but are otherwise absolutely lovely and regular etc) what could I suggest? Are there any consumer brands out there that don't strip hair or cover it in silicone that I could recommend? Because if they're going to get a non-professional product anyway I might as well tell them one that is less damaging than the others. I'm paticularly interested in colour care and also moisturising shampoos/conditioners.

I personally use a consumer shampoo followed by professional (matrix) conditioner as I know my hair can handle it (it's virgin hair and is otherwise taken good care of) and is a little easier on my pocket. But I know it's no way near as good as matrix shampoos, you can definitely feel it coating your hair.

Any help much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Look, all you can do is educate clients. What I usually do is rather telling them what to buy and not to buy I start a conversation about products and list ingrediants for them to avoid. That way you're not liable for telling them to buy a product and it going bad. It's a good way to get clients thinking about what they put on their hair. If you tell clients what to buy and what not to buy you risk them either blaming you for any issues or feeling like you only care about the sale. If you educate them and explain what ingredients to avoid, they will be able to check the lables and build a level of trust. You can even pass the bottle over to them and explain what some of the beneficial ingredients are. If you don't know don't lie. But say "I'm not sure. I'll make a note of it and let you know next time we speak" and then follow through. Make a note of it on their appointment card if you use a program like Short cuts. It will help build rapport. I hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back