Non staining top coat for hair colourists?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

besthands

Reaction score
Is there such a thing? My girls are so frustrated that every time they do a hair color the top coat on their acrylic nails stains and looks dirty. I tried to do a forum search because I'm sure this is a common problem but its not working out. They said i could be the hero if i can figure this out ! Who cant resist a challenge like that?? Sorry for such a silly question but it would make their day if i could offer a solution.
I told them they should be wearing gloves while coloring hair like i do but that wasn't the answer they wanted to hear!! :( Can the Geek Squad help me??? thanks geeks!! :)
(I've tried a clear gel coat and it stains, also tried reg. polish top coat as well).

The nails don't yellow, they actually pick up the color stain

I don't know why a top coat is being applied to start with, i quess an attempt to extend the high gloss?

Last edited:
Well you are right, the girls should be wearing gloves when they are colouring. :lol:

Top coats are porous so they will most definitely stain. The most resistant to staining is a Hard gel top coat (at least if the surface stain it can be buffed to remove. CND Brisa Gloss is good for this.

As an experiment one day I had my stylist put some dark brown tint right on top of one of my Shellacked nails for 15 minutes to see if it would stain. A hair geek asked me if Shellac would stain and I really didn't know. Anyway after 15 minutes there was a tiny bit of stain but not very noticeable so I was quite pleased with that result ... still, it is what it is and if the girls don't want to see staining then they should take better care of their nails by wearing gloves.

Last edited:
Well you are right, the girls should be wearing gloves when they are colouring. :lol:

Top coats are porous so they will most definitely stain. The most resistant to staining is a Hard gel top coat (at least if the surface stain it can be buffed to remove.

As an experiment one day I had my stylist to some dark brown tint right on top of one of my Shellacked nails for 15 minutes to see if it would stain. A hair geek asked me if Shellac would stain and I really didn't know. Anyway after 15 minutes there was a tiny bit of stain but not very noticeable so I was quite pleased with that result ... still, it is what it is and if the girls don't want to see staining then they should take better care of their nails by wearing gloves.

I'm a stylist and simply can not foil whilst wearing gloves!!
I find the darker Shellac shades resist staining and stay high gloss :)

I'm a stylist and simply can not foil whilst wearing gloves!!
I find the darker Shellac shades resist staining and stay high gloss :)

Yay!! Go Shellac.

As with most things in life the simplest fix is the best fix! Thanks "G"! and thanks CH !
I still don't understand why a top coat is being applied as the nails are buffed to a beautiful shine to start with.
Maybe I'll put a box of gloves for their Xmas stocking! :wink2:
A client recommends to try a foam protectant on the hands before getting into the color?
Have a great weekend everybody!!! :biggrin:

I LOVE Shellac. My nails have gone from a bitten, tint stained mess to perfect glossy, chip free beauty's within 4 months :)

As with most things in life the simplest fix is the best fix! Thanks "G"! and thanks CH !
I still don't understand why a top coat is being applied as the nails are buffed to a beautiful shine to start with.
Maybe I'll put a box of gloves for their Xmas stocking! :wink2:
A client recommends to try a foam protectant on the hands before getting into the color?
Have a great weekend everybody!!! :biggrin:

Seriously try weaving a full head foils In gloves, takes twice as long as you can't feel the hair and hair sticks to gloves, foils sick to gloves and slide down the hair..NIGHTMARE!
Best barrier cream is Udder cream! As recommended by my dairy farmer friend ;-)

I always wear gloves, no exceptions, weaving, full head, regrowth the gloves are on for me.

a
Seriously try weaving a full head foils In gloves, takes twice as long as you can't feel the hair and hair sticks to gloves, foils sick to gloves and slide down the hair..NIGHTMARE!
Best barrier cream is Udder cream! As recommended by my dairy farmer friend ;-)

I know what you mean, i personally have to wear gloves. I use the latex OR gloves that a ER nurse gets for me. They are form right and left handed fitting. Probably $$$ but i like em. If i could I'd go without em but i'm also a Massage Therapist and stained or dirty looking hands or nails would be a turn off for lots of folks.
Udder cream.... haha i know about that brand and i have heard its good too! Funny name though!!

thank you Bo!!

This a problem for me also, I HAVE to change my polish every other night or else I look like I have been digging for worms lol I can't foil with gloves on for the reasons mentioned above although I always wear gloves when applying tint straight to scalp, my problem is that I don't wear them when washing off the colour as it pulls the clients hair x

Latest posts

Back