Non standard salon gel nails?

There’s a lot of talk about nss (non standard salon) nails and recently a few nail techs were arguing in the comments on a fb post over removing gel products. Essentially one nail tech said that if gel nails don’t soak off using acetone then the products used are“nss gel”. I’m really confused because I thought only soft gel products soaked off and hard gels had to be filed off. If the gel I am using on clients is file off does that mean it’s a nss gel? I have never herd of this before and the technician explained that if the gel someone is using doesn’t soak off then it is a “nss gel” and that they shouldn’t be using them... I am a gel and polygel nail technician working now for 2 years and have never herd something more confusing? I’m actually afraid to comment because people were getting so aggressive in the comment section but I can’t find anything online to support this theory? Does anyone have any idea what this person ment by “acetone won’t remove any nss gel but you shouldn’t be using that”

Short answer, they don't know what they're talking about.
Long answer, maybe they are referring to nss acrylic which smells like cat pee when removed and is hard to remove. ;) Most nail techs, whatever system they use, should know what hard gel is, or at least possess a general clue even if they don't use hard gel. The same way a gel technician should at least know what L&P is and, for example, how to remove it. Also, the same way most techs should know the basics such as the difference between a greenie and fungus... but do they? Not always. I still see so many techs not know what a greenie is. They'll see a greenie and immediately call it fungus.

Short answer, they don't know what they're talking about.
Long answer, maybe they are referring to nss acrylic which smells like cat pee when removed and is hard to remove. ;) Most nail techs, whatever system they use, should know what hard gel is, or at least possess a general clue even if they don't use hard gel. The same way a gel technician should at least know what L&P is and, for example, how to remove it. Also, the same way most techs should know the basics such as the difference between a greenie and fungus... but do they? Not always. I still see so many techs not know what a greenie is. They'll see a greenie and immediately call it fungus.
Thank you for replying so quickly! I was thinking that it didn’t make sense but thought there was no harm in asking :) sometimes I read things a panic Incase I’m doing something wrong or haven’t enough theory thank you so much for your reply

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s the problem with Facebook groups. You’ll get a lot of unqualified nonsense being re-posted and even qualified techs will begin to doubt themselves.
Chances are they’ve done a 1 day nail course and think they know it all. :rolleyes:

That’s the problem with Facebook groups. You’ll get a lot of unqualified nonsense being re-posted and even qualified techs will begin to doubt themselves.
Chances are they’ve done a 1 day nail course and think they know it all. :rolleyes:
Thanks haircutz I think that’s what’s happened Idk should these people be allowed do nails in the first place really