Nose filters & eye protection

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Severnrose

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, after the recent article about the possible dangers of spray tanning it has come to some our attentions that we should be offering nose filters and eye protection to our customers. I have done a quick search online and it seems it's quite easy to get hold of winkease and they are fairly cheap. However the nose filters (with the thin strip which joins each nostril, not the wider strip), seem a little more difficult to find and the ones I have found a quite a lot of money IMO. Found 10 for £9.99, this is more than I was expecting.

Can anyone who already used them tell me where you get yours from please and if £1 for each one is what I should be expecting to pay? I can't imagine many of my customers will want to use them so I don't want to but hundreds.

Also, for anyone who uses winkease already for spray tanning - do you find this makes it difficult for the client to see what you are asking them to do?! I've worn them in a sunbed before and I can't open my eyes. Do you just get them to wear them when you actually spray their face?

Thanks x

Hellooooooo!!! ;) any help please? Maybe no one actually uses eye/nose protection?! X

i don't use eye or nose protection, neither do i offer it to my clients, sorry hun. I'll watch this thread though x

Hi i too have been looking into this as iv only just trained. ive decided to order some masks to offer clients the option because i thought if they have nose filters they will want to open their mouth they can still ingest via mouth whereas the mask will cover both. I had the same feeling with the winkies cos i know i wouldnt like it if i couldnt see, especially when they need to keep turning im sure if they close their eyes there's minimal spray but im sure others might not agree its hard to know what to do without frightening them away :?:

this hysteria is amazing me ! DHA is a natural substance its basically a fruit sugar, when you bite an apple and it goes brown that is DHA. organic DHA is a sugar beet extract, we have all been eating and breathing sugar smells for thousands of years.
there has not been one single case of cancer linked to DHA but now because it hasnt been "tested for inhalation" some journalist has revived a no news story from 2009 that was never worth the paper it was written on as the report was apparently funded and paid for by an american uva sunbed company !!
People are allergic to all sorts of things and lots of things are potentially carcegenic but up to now not one single case of cancer has been proven or connected to DHA inhalation
this story is potentially life threatening as the alternative to a spraytan is a UVA sunbed tan that has undoubtably KILLED people in the thousands,
My advice would be
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON !!

this hysteria is amazing me ! DHA is a natural substance its basically a fruit sugar, when you bite an apple and it goes brown that is DHA. organic DHA is a sugar beet extract, we have all been eating and breathing sugar smells for thousands of years.
there has not been one single case of cancer linked to DHA but now because it hasnt been "tested for inhalation" some journalist has revived a no news story from 2009 that was never worth the paper it was written on as the report was apparently funded and paid for by an american uva sunbed company !!
People are allergic to all sorts of things and lots of things are potentially carcegenic but up to now not one single case of cancer has been proven or connected to DHA inhalation
this story is potentially life threatening as the alternative to a spraytan is a UVA sunbed tan that has undoubtably KILLED people in the thousands,
My advice would be

Thanks for taking the time to reply Steve. I had also emailed Sarah about this to see what Nouvatan's thoughts were on it (purely because I trained with you :) ) in less detail she basically said the same as you have just done. Which although I don't have half the experience you guys do, I actually believe it from what I have read on the Internet & on here. However, it still worries me that I have also been told that eyes & lips should be covered, as it should not be inhaled. To be fair, Im sure the odd spray tan here and there would never harm anyone anyway and if ANYONE should be concerned for their health then it should be us who do it on a daily basis! I do think though that there must be some truth in not inhaling otherwise we wouldn't all be talking about this?

For the sake of my question, I would rather personally rather not spend out money on more disposables and i would imagine most of my customers wont want to even use tne nose filters, but I would be quite embarrassed if a customer who had read the same or a similar article asked for nose protection and I didn't have any.

Personally, I am someone who thinks just do what you want when you want, there are SO many things nowadays that we are told to be careful of, that if we followed all advice we would spend our days locked inside an empty sterilised room! But It's the unknown that scares people, and it seems that DHA hasn't been tested for inhalation so I guess I feel as good customer care I should at least be able to offer this protection.

Sorry for rambling, my daughters sitting on my lap and I can't remember what I've written!! X

My advice would be

Totally agree I have had a couple of clients who are now using a Sunbed because of this nonsense, I mean come on are people really that stupid to think a Sunbed is safer?!?!

Totally agree I have had a couple of clients who are now using a Sunbed because of this nonsense, I mean come on are people really that stupid to think a Sunbed is safer?!?!

I think you wrote this on another thread didn't you? I can't believe this, it's so shocking!

Do you offer nose/eye protection? Wondering if the two clients would have stuck with a spray tan if protection was offered?

I just don't know what to do! I'm guessing anyone who's read this thread so far doesn't use nose filters anyway?! X

Hi all,

So, after the recent article about the possible dangers of spray tanning it has come to some our attentions that we should be offering nose filters and eye protection to our customers. I have done a quick search online and it seems it's quite easy to get hold of winkease and they are fairly cheap. However the nose filters (with the thin strip which joins each nostril, not the wider strip), seem a little more difficult to find and the ones I have found a quite a lot of money IMO. Found 10 for £9.99, this is more than I was expecting.

Can anyone who already used them tell me where you get yours from please and if £1 for each one is what I should be expecting to pay? I can't imagine many of my customers will want to use them so I don't want to but hundreds.

Also, for anyone who uses winkease already for spray tanning - do you find this makes it difficult for the client to see what you are asking them to do?! I've worn them in a sunbed before and I can't open my eyes. Do you just get them to wear them when you actually spray their face?

Thanks x

Ok so paranoid seems to be creeping in following the recent report and it is essential we look at things in perspective here.

1) suitable extraction and air purification near the working area is essential and really goes without saying
2) apply the solution no more than 8" from the skin so reducing over spray and unessery airborne particles
3) if you are doing excessive spray tanning or generally suffer from respirator problems...well wear a mask
4) there really is no need for a client to wear winkies...there eyes are not exposed to UVA just spray tan...lets face it (forgive the pun) when you apply solution to the face the clients eyes should be shut....to both protect the actual eye from solution but to also tan the lids...wearing winkies will give untanned eye lids which will simply look ridiculous lol
Also the face is generally done last and when applying solution to the rest of the body this is lower than the head...if adequate extraction and air purification is available then the eyes themselves are safe

All simple stuff and stuff that we should all be doing as a matter of course and safety to both ourselves and our clients....nothing to do with the reported cancer rubbish...just basic professional means of applying a beauty treatment

HTH and lets all start thinking professionally and remember the basics taught in training

Ok so paranoid seems to be creeping in following the recent report and it is essential we look at things in perspective here.

1) suitable extraction and air purification near the working area is essential and really goes without saying
2) apply the solution no more than 8" from the skin so reducing over spray and unessery airborne particles
3) if you are doing excessive spray tanning or generally suffer from respirator problems...well wear a mask
4) there really is no need for a client to wear winkies...there eyes are not exposed to UVA just spray tan...lets face it (forgive the pun) when you apply solution to the face the clients eyes should be shut....to both protect the actual eye from solution but to also tan the lids...wearing winkies will give untanned eye lids which will simply look ridiculous lol
Also the face is generally done last and when applying solution to the rest of the body this is lower than the head...if adequate extraction and air purification is available then the eyes themselves are safe

All simple stuff and stuff that we should all be doing as a matter of course and safety to both ourselves and our clients....nothing to do with the reported cancer rubbish...just basic professional means of applying a beauty treatment

HTH and lets all start thinking professionally and remember the basics taught in training

Again, thank you for your reply - I appreciate your time. I agree with everything you've said. However, it has been noted on previous threads about this that eyelids should not be sprayed - this is what made me worry! I cannot understand why eyelids shouldn't be sprayed and completely agree with the White eyelid comment, my personal opinion is ignore the whole thing, carry on as I'm doing, but I've only been doing this for just over 6 months so when people on here who have more experience than myself say something like 'eyelids should never be sprayed anyway' that is when, as you say, the paranoia sets in!!

Ok ok, I'll just carry on as normal it's what I would rather do any way.

One last question tho ;P should pregnant people be offered nose protection?! Or am I still going round in circles?!!! X

One last question tho ;P should pregnant people be offered nose protection?! Or am I still going round in circles?!!! X

Now missus stop worrying about asking so many questions...its what these boards and site is designed for :hug:

The thing with offering sniffits to anyone is not really a solution...yes it blocks the nasal passage but they simply breath in through there mouth...so only a mask will protect both passage ways.
of course you couldn't have a customer being sprayed with a mask on...cos they would have a white mask patch :eek::hug:

Ok so make sure you tell the customer...particularly if they are preggers for first time that
1) the tan may not come out even due to hormone issues
2) that they could well have a problem with the smell of the solution...so best keep a hughey bucket close to hand
3) There is no danger known to the child in the womb providing you follow the safety procedures as follows
Do your utmost to reduce airborne particles and the best way to prevent your customer from breathing in these air bourn particles and therefore avoid hughing into your bucket is to

1) ensure there is adequate ventilation
2) ensure your technique is one of spraying close to the skin therefore reducing the amount of over spray
3) do the body first and head last
4) advise the customer to at any point if she feels nausea to ask you to stop for a breather

Oh and last but not least...tell the client to thougly enjoy both her spray tan application and her tan outcome :Love:

I offer my clients a pair of protective glasses to wear if they want them until I get to the face area, I just bought them in Screwfix lol! (and clean them after every client with Milton spray) I also offer them a disposable moth/nose mask and so far over the past 2 years the ony clients to take me up on this either have contact lenses in and don't want to take them out so they put the glasses on, and the masks are normally only worn by a couple of clients who have asthma, the rest just say no, but I do offer it and note it on the consultation card. So, no need to spend loads on lots of unnescessary disposables.

I think you wrote this on another thread didn't you? I can't believe this, it's so shocking!

Do you offer nose/eye protection? Wondering if the two clients would have stuck with a spray tan if protection was offered?

I just don't know what to do! I'm guessing anyone who's read this thread so far doesn't use nose filters anyway?! X

I don't although I do have a pregnant lady who I tan regularly and I said I would buy some nasal plugs for her but she now just sticks a bit of cotton wool up her nose, but the last time she tanned we didn't do that because it made her feel light headed having to hold her breath whilst I sprayed her face.

I am mobile but I am seriously considering an extractor they are expensive and bulky but I think it will just ease people's minds and also my own.

I am mobile but I am seriously considering an extractor they are expensive and bulky but I think it will just ease people's minds and also my own.

A very sound investment indeed :wink2:

I don't although I do have a pregnant lady who I tan regularly and I said I would buy some nasal plugs for her but she now just sticks a bit of cotton wool up her nose, but the last time she tanned we didn't do that because it made her feel light headed having to hold her breath whilst I sprayed her face.

Yes I know, I should get one really just have no idea when I would have a spare £1000!

Yes I know, I should get one really just have no idea when I would have a spare £1000!

You would not be needing to spend that sort of mony whatsoever...a quater of that amount will get you an extraction module that will amply do a good job for you

Latest posts

Back