Not able to drive

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollysRose

Reaction score
Feeling really upset today. I took a long break from beauty due to health problems and I was just getting ready to come back into it. Was planning to go mobile, just like before, as I don't have space where I'm living for a home salon. However, my doctor has just informed me that, due to this health problem, I'm not allowed to drive. I'm going to have to give me license back. I'm so upset.

I can't get a normal job because I can't work in Summer or the end of Spring/beginning of Autumn. My only option is to work for myself and this was the one thing I really enjoyed. I can't even think of something else I can do.

I'm really upset about the loss of independence too. I'm a single mum, don't have friends and not a great family relationship. Due to my health problem I can't get on a bus, train or walk too far. With no job I can't afford taxis. I just feel so useless and lost now.

Sorry for my annoying rant, I just needed to get it off my chest.

I think you have every right to rant so please don't apologise. Are there any local support groups where others with the same condition will understand and be able to offer advice?

There are no support groups near me but theres an online forum, I posted in it but haven't had any replies yet.

Just don't know what to do now, how I'm gonna work and make money, how I'm gonna take my daughter anywhere.

Oh Hun I really feel for u
Losing your license must feel like a massive setback
Is your condition treatable at all? Can you recover or is it permanent?

My doctor is going to give me some medication to try next week, but she doesn't know whether I will get the actual medication or a placebo as it's part of a test. They don't even know if the actual medication will help, apparently it works for around 30% of patients. Hopefully, I'm one but won't know for a while.

Theres nothing else that can help it and it is permanent. I've had to move back with my parents because of it but I hate being here. I have a bad relationship with them but for the sake of my daughter, without work I can't afford to move.

Feeling really upset today. I took a long break from beauty due to health problems and I was just getting ready to come back into it. Was planning to go mobile, just like before, as I don't have space where I'm living for a home salon. However, my doctor has just informed me that, due to this health problem, I'm not allowed to drive. I'm going to have to give me license back. I'm so upset.

I can't get a normal job because I can't work in Summer or the end of Spring/beginning of Autumn. My only option is to work for myself and this was the one thing I really enjoyed. I can't even think of something else I can do.

I'm really upset about the loss of independence too. I'm a single mum, don't have friends and not a great family relationship. Due to my health problem I can't get on a bus, train or walk too far. With no job I can't afford taxis. I just feel so useless and lost now.

Sorry for my annoying rant, I just needed to get it off my chest.

I can empathise. Have you tried looking into Access to Work? Might be a option depending on your illness.

Is there any local beauty salons or hairdressers very near to you that can rent you a space?

I've phoned all of the salons, gyms and leisure centres close to me but none of them have spare rooms.

I've had a look at the Access to Work (thanks for letting me know about it) but my problem is that I can't get a normal job, I can only work for myself but without the beauty work I don't know what I can do.

Might be better if I explain my health problem. Basically, my heart doesn't pump the blood around my body very well and I end up fainting a lot. Obviously, I completley understand why I can't drive but it's just a big blow to me as now I feel like I have no independence.
I usually have warning before it happens so I can lie down to prevent the actual loss of consiousness as best as possible. I can't get a normal job because I can't work at all during Summer and the end of Spring/beginning of Autumn, as heat (especially warm weather) makes it worse. Working for myself means I can have lots of breaks througout the day and I can stop working during these hot months and not lose my job. Although, I'd probably be starting from scratch at least I can still do it.

I have a disability and it prevents me from being able to do nails continuously without breaks and lay downs, some days I can't do anything other days I can it's hit and miss and it's very frustrating when all you want to do is a set one after the other. But you have to take time and adjust to the new layout of your life now accepting is part of the moving forward process.
Give yourself some time to figure this all out. I have friends and family come see me and we have a coffee and a catch up and they let me play with their nails and it's lovely because it's at my pace. You will find your own path too just one step at a time. It will all be ok. Hopefully the meds will work

I've phoned all of the salons, gyms and leisure centres close to me but none of them have spare rooms.

I've had a look at the Access to Work (thanks for letting me know about it) but my problem is that I can't get a normal job, I can only work for myself but without the beauty work I don't know what I can do.

Might be better if I explain my health problem. Basically, my heart doesn't pump the blood around my body very well and I end up fainting a lot. Obviously, I completley understand why I can't drive but it's just a big blow to me as now I feel like I have no independence.
I usually have warning before it happens so I can lie down to prevent the actual loss of consiousness as best as possible. I can't get a normal job because I can't work at all during Summer and the end of Spring/beginning of Autumn, as heat (especially warm weather) makes it worse. Working for myself means I can have lots of breaks througout the day and I can stop working during these hot months and not lose my job. Although, I'd probably be starting from scratch at least I can still do it.

How about converting a small space in your living room or kitchen for nails/beauty?

you can get a cheap mobile manicure table and fold it away when its not needed?

If i have a client that want's to come to me and doesn't want me to come to them that's what i do and fold the table and makeup chair away when its not required.

My ex hairdresser also had a lovely little set up with a professional mirror and chair in her wooden floored dinning room, so it can be done nicely and still look professional.

As long as you are honest and not pitching it to client's that its a full on salon, you will be able to manage their expectations before they arrive arrive.

You would have to make sure that you can get insurance etc to cover working form home and let your council know.

I've had to move back in with my parents, we don't have a good relationship and they will not allow me to run my beauty business from the house.

Would you be better off trying to get rehoused in social housing so at least you would then be in control of your own space and able to work from home when well?

I'm on the list for a council house, I'm not top priority though and have heard it can take a few years to get somewhere. I've been on the list for just under a year now.

It must be very hard having to move back in with your parents. Is there anything to be done to improve relations with them? That does sound a very difficult situation for all of you. Do you need to live with them because your medical condition needs you to have another adult in the house?

I'm guessing that as you live with your parents, you're not assessed as a priority in housing terms but if you were living in short term accommodation on your own (with your child), your medical condition would give you priority on the housing list?

Have you spoken to anyone at Shelter or the Citizens Advice? They should be able to give you some practical advice to help you plan for the future.

I wonder if you could find a hairdresser friend who would be interested in renting a house together where you could both work from home?

The reason I moved to my parents house was because I cannot afford my own house without a job, I'd be able to afford a council house as there are no deposits.

I don't have anyone else to live with. I have spoken to CA, they told me that there is nothing much I can do except wait for a council house. My medical problem will not have any affect on my priority for housing.

I'm on the list for a council house, I'm not top priority though and have heard it can take a few years to get somewhere. I've been on the list for just under a year now.
Can u not explain you don't get along with your parents and your medical reasoning I'm sure you would be moved banding?

The only other option would be to present yourself homeless to the council and they will put you into temporary accommodation until a property is available I know it's daunting but your in the councils hands then and you will speed it all up and get to the goal of having your own place and being able to work from your home

What a horrible situation to be in! I don't have any extra advice for you on the working side but what you need to do is get your parents to write a letter stating they are going to be making you homeless on a set date and take it to the council.
If you are registered on home finder they should adjust your band as you will be homeless.
Please don't make yourself homeless though as they won't do anything and you will more than likely have to go into a hostel/b&b as you have done it intentionally.
I used to work for housing, benefits and council tax so any questions feel free to message me.

I spoke to citizens advice about leaving my parents house and they told me I wouldn't be made priority as it would be intentional. I keep asking my parents if they would say they're kicking us out but they haven't agreed to it - I'll keep trying though.

I'm on the second lowest band for housing at the minute, the house is overcrowded so that's why I'm not on the lowest. At the minute, my daughter (who will be 6 next week) have to share a single bed as there isn't any room. I've explained about the problems with my family but they told me it won't change anything.

I spoke to citizens advice about leaving my parents house and they told me I wouldn't be made priority as it would be intentional. I keep asking my parents if they would say they're kicking us out but they haven't agreed to it - I'll keep trying though.

I'm on the second lowest band for housing at the minute, the house is overcrowded so that's why I'm not on the lowest. At the minute, my daughter (who will be 6 next week) have to share a single bed as there isn't any room. I've explained about the problems with my family but they told me it won't change anything.

I really do feel for u the worry of housing is just horrible I was suffering not so long ago
You need to look for private rental properties that accept dss for now and apply for the rent deposit scheme
Gumtree is good but I do think you need to focus on building your base before you decide what to do about working we're always here for a moan us geeks stick together

Latest posts

Back