Not being valued at work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Successful24

Reaction score
Hey everyone😔
Im a qualified level 3 Hairdresser and I've been working at this salon for 3 and a half years full time. I feel I'm one of the most hard working employees there and my boss doesn't see it. I travel 15 miles there AND Back. I have the occasional day where im literally less than 5mins late due to traffic or breakdown. Im always ready to work & never had a day off sick throughout the whole time ive been there or bring personal matter/problems to work. Somedays i just stay quite and have a mind set of "Come in..do the work..Leave!" as my ideas & feelings never get taken into account and when i do my boss thinks im in a "mood"..
Ive got to the stage where i just want out. My clientele are amazing they Appreciate everything i do for them, and i only go back for them.
So why do i feel im not valued in the business and my boss does nothing about it? I know what i really need to do but Has anyone had this problem at work ?
I Could go on and on but i would like to hear your experiences and advice. Thank You

To be honest from personal experience in business and working for big and small companies don't ever expect a well done or a pay on the back. That's not what work is about. Most bosses are too busy to congratulate you. (Most not all)

Also personally I think 15miles each way is normal. Nowadays with all due respect people are just glad to get he work/a job therefore the sad realisation is as soon as you move on 10 more are ready to take your place.

Yeah realise that and dont get me wrong i love working and thankful i have a job. These alot more to it than what i put down tbh..

Lol ☺️ i dont want a gold star or anything just little understand. In a salon we all ment to get on and help one another not go against one another

I didn't mean to patronise you, please don't think I meant it like that as it wasn't the case.

I see where your coming from. I think it's down to the economy people are scrapping with each other over every little thing.

This is why I can't work with groups of people much anymore :)

Ooh no its okay i see what your saying and its very true. Its hard to make your point come across on here without it being 10 paragraphs long lol 😊

My opinion it is time to go self employed :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Ive looked into it. Im just going to miss my clientele☺️ Lol i couldnt go straight into self employment i would like to find a part work & be mobile

Last edited:
Hey everyone😔
Im a qualified level 3 Hairdresser and I've been working at this salon for 3 and a half years full time. I feel I'm one of the most hard working employees there and my boss doesn't see it. I travel 15 miles there AND Back. I have the occasional day where im literally less than 5mins late due to traffic or breakdown. Im always ready to work & never had a day off sick throughout the whole time ive been there or bring personal matter/problems to work. Somedays i just stay quite and have a mind set of "Come in..do the work..Leave!" as my ideas & feelings never get taken into account and when i do my boss thinks im in a "mood"..
Ive got to the stage where i just want out. My clientele are amazing they Appreciate everything i do for them, and i only go back for them.
So why do i feel im not valued in the business and my boss does nothing about it? I know what i really need to do but Has anyone had this problem at work ?
I Could go on and on but i would like to hear your experiences and advice. Thank You

I can totally empathise with what you're saying here op and I think it's very common in this industry where employers will put profit over people in a substantial way (which is stupid really because I believe that low morale can cost a business money in terms of staff turnover and performance but there you go).

I don't think you're seeking constant verbal encouragement because it's easy to get that from clients and that is often a good point even in a workplace with potentially negligent management. It sounds like you'd appreciate a review to discuss what you've got to look forward to in terms of recognition in the form of a payrise or promotion perhaps.

Some bosses are just off and it's a blummin mystery in that there's no need for it in a lot of cases but with three years under your belt I would hope that you could secure more local employment now should you be seeking a total change. I personally think three years can be a long time in one place and I haven't seen many of my beauty colleagues achieve that so fair play to you :)

I've been both and employer and an employee.

Have you spoken to your boss about how you feel?

I hate to say but I hate lateness, my staff are in BEFORE 9am each morning as their clients are in at 9 and I just think it's hugely disrespectful to clients to be late. I understand traffic etc but I wouldn't be pleased as an employer or a client.

I also think that if you are keeping quiet about how you feel, you are making a bad environment for all in the salon. You should sit down with your boss and explain how you feel and see if something can't be resolved. If it's a pay issue, explain that. But be careful about cutting your nose off to spite your face. Last thing you want is no job and no clients.

All the best

I can totally empathise with what you're saying here op and I think it's very common in this industry where employers will put profit over people in a substantial way (which is stupid really because I believe that low morale can cost a business money in terms of staff turnover and performance but there you go).

I don't think you're seeking constant verbal encouragement because it's easy to get that from clients and that is often a good point even in a workplace with potentially negligent management. It sounds like you'd appreciate a review to discuss what you've got to look forward to in terms of recognition in the form of a payrise or promotion perhaps.

Some bosses are just off and it's a blummin mystery in that there's no need for it in a lot of cases but with three years under your belt I would hope that you could secure more local employment now should you be seeking a total change. I personally think three years can be a long time in one place and I haven't seen many of my beauty colleagues achieve that so fair play to you :)

Thank you for that Laura😊 Ive thought about leaving im seeking a new job much closer but all whats advertising is Rent a chair. There trying to bring mobile workers back to the salon. And now a lot of people have realised how much you can earn by being your own boss it would take a lot to being them back.

As for moving on. Does employers require a reference now? Proof of how long ive been working?

I've been both and employer and an employee.

Have you spoken to your boss about how you feel?

I hate to say but I hate lateness, my staff are in BEFORE 9am each morning as their clients are in at 9 and I just think it's hugely disrespectful to clients to be late. I understand traffic etc but I wouldn't be pleased as an employer or a client.

I also think that if you are keeping quiet about how you feel, you are making a bad environment for all in the salon. You should sit down with your boss and explain how you feel and see if something can't be resolved. If it's a pay issue, explain that. But be careful about cutting your nose off to spite your face. Last thing you want is no job and no clients.

All the best

Thanks for ur post kim. Yes ive spoken to my boss numerous of times nothings changed as for the quietness i only get that was is because im exhausted and fed up. I dont snap at anyone and never once disrespectful and certainly never show this in front of my clients.
As for being late everyones human people make mistakes and cant control the day to day battles of getting too and from work. I guess you Cant pick and choose where work falls you have to take what you can get thats how i ended up there..

Well if you have tried to discuss your thoughts with her then I would say it's probably time to move on.

Thank you for that Laura�� Ive thought about leaving im seeking a new job much closer but all whats advertising is Rent a chair. There trying to bring mobile workers back to the salon. And now a lot of people have realised how much you can earn by being your own boss it would take a lot to being them back.

As for moving on. Does employers require a reference now? Proof of how long ive been working?

I might be guessing inaccurately based on my own experiences, but it sounds like you feel that your boss is unapproachable and a bit aloof? (I worked for a highly regarded company where my boss was a total dragon to anyone who wasn't part of her clique. There are a lot of people in this industry who fall into management for reasons other than having management skills and God don't I know it!)

I digress! Anyway point is regarding a reference, I'm pretty sure that not all companies follow up references because I have been offered jobs within a short space of time from interviewing where there's just no way they'd have had the time to follow up references (good or bad lol!).

For what it's worth, you can prove how long you've been at a place via payslips (or perhaps bank statements). There's absolutely no reason (to the best of my knowledge) why you can't put someone as a reference who was more senior to you. For example, I don't trust an ex boss to write me a good reference but I have a supervisor who believed in me and was always a pleasure to work for at the same company so I make sure to list her as my reference in relation to that place of work (she's left the company now but with the staff turnover being what it is in this industry I don't think this is unusual). If you need a reference for a place of work where you don't feel you can trust the main boss to put in a good word for you, don't be afraid to ask someone who you trust a bit more to write a reference for you. I got this sorted out recently and it was a big weight off my mind. My reference is still not guaranteed because the relationship was professional only but I feel I can trust my reference of choice more.

I worry that some of the stuff I write on salon geek must make me look like a trouble maker at work (lol!) but nothing could be further from the truth in that some places just have blummin awful management and you have to do the best you can to remain professional whilst there and in terms of getting the reference you feel you deserve afterwards.

I might be guessing inaccurately based on my own experiences, but it sounds like you feel that your boss is unapproachable and a bit aloof? (I worked for a highly regarded company where my boss was a total dragon to anyone who wasn't part of her clique. There are a lot of people in this industry who fall into management for reasons other than having management skills and God don't I know it!)

I digress! Anyway point is regarding a reference, I'm pretty sure that not all companies follow up references because I have been offered jobs within a short space of time from interviewing where there's just no way they'd have had the time to follow up references (good or bad lol!).

For what it's worth, you can prove how long you've been at a place via payslips (or perhaps bank statements). There's absolutely no reason (to the best of my knowledge) why you can't put someone as a reference who was more senior to you. For example, I don't trust an ex boss to write me a good reference but I have a supervisor who believed in me and was always a pleasure to work for at the same company so I make sure to list her as my reference in relation to that place of work (she's left the company now but with the staff turnover being what it is in this industry I don't think this is unusual). If you need a reference for a place of work where you don't feel you can trust the main boss to put in a good word for you, don't be afraid to ask someone who you trust a bit more to write a reference for you. I got this sorted out recently and it was a big weight off my mind. My reference is still not guaranteed because the relationship was professional only but I feel I can trust my reference of choice more.

I worry that some of the stuff I write on salon geek must make me look like a trouble maker at work (lol!) but nothing could be further from the truth in that some places just have blummin awful management and you have to do the best you can to remain professional whilst there and in terms of getting the reference you feel you deserve afterwards.

I wish i could Like your comment a million times!! Lol 😊 you hit the nail on the head about my boss being a loof lol 😄 as for the proof of work thats a great idea about payslip dates and if it comes down to it i suppose i could ask one of the girls to do me a reference or something.

Latest posts

Back