Not busy at all!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairgurl

Reaction score
Is anyone else’s business really suffering at the moment since the initial post-lockdown rush is over? I had a really busy few weeks, not as mad as last July but fully booked. Then the last fortnight since about the middle of May my diary has been SO quiet. I’m self employed in a salon so I rent a chair, I can afford my rent ok and this isn’t so much a financial issue as a personal one, where it really gets me down feeling like my business isn’t good enough. I’ve been advertising everywhere, really plugging myself on social media and doing everything I should be doing but there are no bums on seats. I had one cut & blow dry all day today while the employed staff in my salon are fully booked still, it’s embarrassing. Anyone else been the same? I generally don’t do the salon’s clients as I was taken on with the agreement that I bring my own clients to the salon, so I usually rely heavily on social media and online advertising. Which usually works well in normal times.

Is anyone else’s business really suffering at the moment since the initial post-lockdown rush is over? I had a really busy few weeks, not as mad as last July but fully booked. Then the last fortnight since about the middle of May my diary has been SO quiet.

I think there has been another similar question like this recently? So search for that and see what people have suggested.

Did your first clients not re-book for their next appointment? I always suggest this to my clients. Really stress to them that if they don't get their next appointment secured, they might struggle to get the date they want.

I also ask some of mine to leave reviews, especially on Facebook where it get shared to the client's friends. At least 50% of my clients come in and say "oh I saw you did so-and-so's nails and I liked them so I booked". That's either someone's Facebook friend, family member or colleague usually.

Make sure you're sharing your work/offers/posts into the local groups in your area. People like being able to just pop round the corner. My clients would rather pay a little bit more and come to me because I'm local than travel to a cheaper beautician

Good Luck!

In New Zealand, we found the same pattern in bookings as you're experiencing. Salons were flat out busy once lockdown was lifted and then we went quiet after the initial rush, and then it levelled out but was quieter overall as the financial impact on people came to light. Social media is your friend but doing it well is the trick. Firstly you need to look good on your IG, FB and website People are online and browsing now more than ever and loyalty for salons is becoming a consideration. People are looking around for better value for money and if they find it elsewhere, they are sometimes changing salons. It's a change we've found in consumer behaviour since the pandemic. We've also found that if you don't have a great look and feel on your social media, that people will pass you by and head to those who have a great online presence. What you post about is also key. It needs to be 'value' content - things that help people and give them insights and inspiration. Value means things like skin tips or hair tips, thoughtful / motivational quotes, product and treatment spotlights, how to posts etc etc etc. It takes some work and regularly working at it but it will pay off.

I had an initial busy spell after lockdown then had a very quiet few weeks but am very busy again now. Try not to let it get you down. It’s just going to take a while for everyone to get back in to a schedule

Latest posts

Back