Not cut out for nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenSparkles

Reaction score
Hi guys. Did my NSI p&l course in march, set up my beautiful home beauty room offering spray tans, shellac, crystal pedis, lashes ect.

However I dont think I was meant for nail exts. I just can't get to grips with mix ratio! I know exactly what to do but my nails are always slightly thick and ratio is too wet. It gets me so down! Iv delayed my exam because I know I won't pass! I work 50 hour weeks run my own house so I can only do the odd appointment here and there but no one wants nail exts so I can go weeks without practise .

Any advice? P.s here is a pic of my latest bitten nails done with NSI radiant white and purely pink mask x
Get to grips w

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1340054682.573073.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1340054682.573073.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 488
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1340054705.970120.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1340054705.970120.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 466
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1340054731.529530.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1340054731.529530.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 433
Please don't be disheartened - creating beautiful nails is a skill and, like all skills, takes time to master.

You really need to be putting in the practice - wouldn't your friends/relatives volunteer to be models for you? What about getting a practice hand - or even just sticking a tip into a log of bluetack if you're desperate! The important thing is not to go too long without practising as this is the only way you'll begin to feel confident. You can practice your mix ratio on a piece of laminated card, just pick up a ball and place it on the card, if it sits dry and rough, then it's far too dry; and if it melts away to nothing then you're working far too wet.

Could you take a 1-2-1 with your course provider?

I don't really rate Nsi much there education and customer service isn't the greatest! I don't really have many friends and I live in the countryside so can be trying at times! Plus its difficult when your brush goes hard lol xxx

I don't really rate Nsi much there education and customer service isn't the greatest! I don't really have many friends and I live in the countryside so can be trying at times! Plus its difficult when your brush goes hard lol xxx

if your brush is going hard then your not using it correctly, or wiping it enough. i think maybe look into a one2 one course with someone or another course to touch up, you look like you need to be picking up smaller beads, xx

Don't give up hon.

Get Gigi's Nailclass. Sit with an entire pack of cheap tips off eBay and keep doing pink and white till either you've used your products up or run out of tips. Then tell me you've seen no improvement :)

I get no chance to practice l&p so just do tips tips tips. I can see improvement every twenty or so. I too really struggle with mix ratio it drives me maaaad! I'm using CND.

Trust me, Nailclass will help xx

Don't give up hon.

Get Gigi's Nailclass. Sit with an entire pack of cheap tips off eBay and keep doing pink and white till either you've used your products up or run out of tips. Then tell me you've seen no improvement :)

I get no chance to practice l&p so just do tips tips tips. I can see improvement every twenty or so. I too really struggle with mix ratio it drives me maaaad! I'm using CND.

Trust me, Nailclass will help xx

Where can I buy nailclass? Xxx

How many sets have you done?
Are you giving your self time and the right tools and info to learn ?

If it is something you enjoy or at least want to enjoy then it has to be worked at :)

If you don't honestly like doing them
If you could imagin tomorrow your mix ratio problems wear solved and you had back to back infills and sets to do all day , if that thought is boring ? Scary? Or dosent make you happy even a bit ,then maybe it's not for you,

I love doing nails , am I a natral ? Noooooo lol but i do love it , the idear of back to back nails its a dream not nightmare for me so I keep on trying ,
and keep on going to classes , practicing , and doing what I can ,

Nothing comes easy to anyone.

I qualified a year ago yes i have improved but are my nails perfect no, i know it will take a long time to get the perfect looking nails i would like, but my clients are with them.

Get nail class as advised, its fantastic book and full of tips it helped me alot and i always refer to it.

Keep on with the practice and you will get there in the end x.

Hello you have only been doing nails 3 months give yourself a break that's not that long Hun I've been doing it a year and I'm still not where I want to be.can I produce nice nails now ? Yes but am I a hundred percent happy with every set ....no it takes time Hun.

I had no one to practice on so you know what I did I did my own every other day I had no choice and I also used cheep tips and did like 3 sets of 10 a night lol.I practiced on myself every other day until my application was better then I would leave it for a week and a half so I could do an infill then I bought Gigi nailclass and read through and did the step by step reading each part then doing it on my nails I did this for a month and the improvements were just amazing I actually cried lol.it's all to do with practice and you just use your own nails if that's all you got.

Cheer up chick it will get easier I promisse.xxx

When you say you work 50 hours a week, do you mean in your beauty room doing Shellac, spray tans, lashes etc.? If so I would stop stressing about the nail extensions and carry on with the things you are good at.

I have offered nail extensions for years but these days everyone wants natural overlays or gel polish. I hardly do any extensions now. I could still make a decent living if I took nail extensions off my menu.

I have done about 20 sets (which I know is nothing but I'm trying to fit them in) I work weekends too! When I did my Nsi course they said its only nail techs with bad habits that continually wipe there brush. I work with the 2:2 ratio as I was taught! Xx

Oh and I work 50 hours a week in customer service, hence the reason
I aren't always In a beauty environment . I'd be more than happy doing nails day in day out but if I can't get people practise on how am
I expected to find customers? Xxx

Please don't be disheartened - creating beautiful nails is a skill and, like all skills, takes time to master.

You really need to be putting in the practice - wouldn't your friends/relatives volunteer to be models for you? What about getting a practice hand - or even just sticking a tip into a log of bluetack if you're desperate! The important thing is not to go too long without practising as this is the only way you'll begin to feel confident. You can practice your mix ratio on a piece of laminated card, just pick up a ball and place it on the card, if it sits dry and rough, then it's far too dry; and if it melts away to nothing then you're working far too wet.

Could you take a 1-2-1 with your course provider?

Really good advice, OP if you have the desire you will find a way or make a plan, I dont have many willing guinea pigs and have had to practice on anything else I can find, blue tack and tips etc. My own nails took a hammering at the start but had to stop as I had been very naughty and filed away too much of them, they became really thin and weak. LESSON LEARNED.
Hope you feel happier about them soon. From just a quick look at your pictures it looks like they would improve a lot by just filing and shaping a bit more at the end so keep on practicing and try to book a 1-2-1

PS I have just worked out, after work and sleep you still have a whole 78 hours left to waste on nails. LOL

Last edited:
Ok then this post is about two different things.

Do you want to get acrylics under your belt or have you decided you're not cut out for it?

Other replies have said you just need more practice at the moment, it's too early to tell if it's not for you.

If you've decided you do want to make it work then you need to find the time to fit the practice in. You need to work out how you are going to do that. I appreciate you work a lot of hours but this won't come to you without practice. If you can't find real people then practice on tips, yourself and a nail trainer till you feel more confident.

Once that day comes (and it will) you need to advertise like crazy to get some live models. Facebook, gumtree, website the lot. You then need to squeeze all this practice in around your other commitments.

It's up to you hon if you think you can make it work - it's not that acrylics aren't for you it's that you haven't given it enough time just yet. What do you think you'd like to do next? Xxx

I want to do acrylics and eventually be amazing at them I just feel rather deflated and I feel guilty doing peoples nails when I'm not happy with them xx

Don't worry about that just yet. It's a big mountain to get over just do one thing at a time. I recommend getting Gigi's book and just setting yourself a short term goal of say two weeks doing twenty tips a night - equivalent to one set. After two weeks keep all your tips and see the progress. Then set your next goal. Don't worry about working on people till you want to. There's no rush and nobody says you should be doing that yet if you don't feel ready to.

I think you need to inject some confidence into your work hon, and if working on models is only going to shatter your confidence then put it off. Do tips, yourself, whatever but you need a mini goal and stick to it.

You will get there - it's not impossible just takes a lot of time and practice xxx

Practice only works if the OP is doing things the correct way!

As she was kind enough to put her pics up we can see this is not the right way.

The thing is you have learnt too many bead habits ie: using too much L&P (Liquid and Powder) You would benefit from a 1-1 so you can start from scratch and learn the right way.

I have never been a lover of NSI ... Opaque powders in my view are just awful to work with. (but that is just MY view)

The thing with nails is that you have to put the hours in, if you don't then you won't learn or progress Fact!

I do hope you decide to do a 1-1 and get this under your belt, so you can move on x

I'm just starting out too so can really offer any advice apart from to keep practising and don't give up :hug:

definitely get some 1 to 1 training hun, it will give you confidence to be shown where you are going wrong and how you can rectify it, then you can start practising like mad!! i have always practised on myself and tips as i wanted to do nails all the time and there werent enough people wanting to model for me lol

if you can do your own you can do anyones!!!

Latest posts

Back