Not for the Faint hearted!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee32

Reaction score
I had a elderly client come to me today for me to trim his toenails for him.
I was gobsmacked at what I saw.
His doctor has been advising him for years that it is due to his circulatory issues that he has his toenails have become thickened.
Bev posted a link the other day to Onchymycosis and I remember looking at something like his toenails.
He also has infection in between his toes and on the soles of his feet which look more than just dry hard skin.
I have advised him to go back to the doctor and refer him either to a dermatologist or a chiropodist, to confirm what I think it could be.
I advised him that I couldnt give a diagnosis but can tell him my thoughts and get it checked out.
Would you have done the same thing?
It makes me so angry that a lot of docs just glimpse at nails and sprout the thing that comes top of their heads, if it is a fungal infection this poor client has spent many years in pain while walking and sitting due to these awful nails, which a course of antifungals could have cleared up in 12 months.
Jen xxx

Attachments

• 111020101233.jpg
    111020101233.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 498
  • 111020101234.jpg
    111020101234.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 111020101235.jpg
    111020101235.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I've got to admit I have a strong stomach when it comes to feet but those pics made it turn. I feel so sorry for him, the doctors around where I am are the same. Not many of them realise that even though to them it's "just nails" to the people with problems it is uncomfortable and sometimes painful.

I would of done the same as you (even though I would of just wanted to of trimmed those nails for him just a tad) Maybe with a letter explaining your deep concern for the client's nails and skin. It doesn't look like something to be shrugged off by a doctor, but that just my little opinion. I think you done well under the circumstances :hug:

I've got to admit I have a strong stomach when it comes to feet but those pics made it turn. I feel so sorry for him, the doctors around where I am are the same. Not many of them realise that even though to them it's "just nails" to the people with problems it is uncomfortable and sometimes painful.

I would of done the same as you (even though I would of just wanted to of trimmed those nails for him just a tad) Maybe with a letter explaining your deep concern for the client's nails and skin. It doesn't look like something to be shrugged off by a doctor, but that just my little opinion. I think you done well under the circumstances :hug:

Oh I did trim them hun and disposed of the file at least he was able to walk comfortably when I had finished.
But they were hard work.
Jen xxx

He needs to see a good Chiropodist or Foot Practitioner not a Chiropractor who deals with joints and backs.

It does look like there is a fungal infection here which can start off as athletes foot, which I suffer from, and could explain the soreness between his toes.

If I was perfectly honest I always refer the elderly to a professional. We are qualified to make the feet beautiful and do not have enough knowledge or insurance to go tackling anything near this!

You did right to refer him back to his doctor but do be careful of what advice you are giving him and who he should be seeing. I find it useful to know who I can refer my clients to locally and know 2 good Chiropodists and 1 Foot Practitioner to whom I can point them in the direction of. :green:

He needs to see a good Chiropodist or Foot Practitioner not a Chiropractor who deals with joints and backs.

It does look like there is a fungal infection here which can start off as athletes foot, which I suffer from, and could explain the soreness between his toes.

If I was perfectly honest I always refer the elderly to a professional. We are qualified to make the feet beautiful and do not have enough knowledge or insurance to go tackling anything near this!

You did right to refer him back to his doctor but do be careful of what advice you are giving him and who he should be seeing. I find it useful to know who I can refer my clients to locally and know 2 good Chiropodists and 1 Foot Practitioner to whom I can point them in the direction of. :green:

OMG duh I meant chiropodist, dunno where the chiropractor came from what a div.
I didn't advise him hun, told him he needs to see is doctor or a dermatologist for a definate answer.
All I did was take the length down and dispose of the file.
Jen xx

I often wonder why I dont do feet - ahh, now I remember LOL.

makes me sad that someone is not taking more care of him.

surely someone could have cut his nails before they got this long at least ?:rolleyes:

Trouble is hun, he is on warfarin for his heart and his daughter tried to do them the other day and couldnt there are no nail clippers strong enough or with a wide enough opening to get the nails in.
He had given up asking the dr because he just kept getting the same thing, is your circulation nothing that can be done.... The mind boggles.
I used a 150 grit file to file them down but it took ages. I also wore a mask god knows what was flying off those bad boys.
The ring finger toe was also very lose as he tried to cut it with clippers himself the other day but dislodged it from the nail bed and made it bleed, it bleed for a week before it finally stopped.
He is a family friend and didnt even realise that I did feet until Saturday, I told him to come asap so I could try and do something to alieviate his discomfort somewhat but aslo asked him to speak to his doctor.
I also gave him the name and the following link to get his doc to check.
http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/yourhealth/healthgate/getcontent.asp?URLhealthgate="96750.html"
He will be coming for me to file them down in future.

If the doctor won't prescribe something due to other medical conditions he could try clearzal Clear Zal they do a wash and a soak as well as a solution for the nails. I have seen bad infections cleared up with this as it tackles bacteria and fungus. You have to be really careful as the spores can become airborne and land on other surfaces as you file. I would be concerned about giving this to other clients so would send him to a chiropodist who deals with this all the time.

I've seen exactly the same thing with an older client, she was told by the Dr to go and see a Beautician! Her nails were so knarled and thick they were cutting into her skin! I did what I could but I told her that I was not qualified enough to do anymore for her and she needed to see either a Chiropodist or a different Dr!! I felt terrible because I could see by her face she was thinking "does no one want to help"

Where did you see chiropractor written?? I wouldn't touch anyone with feet like that as you are not qualified to do so. Anyone this age or with feet like these needs to see a qualified chiropodist who has trained for 3 years at University.

I work in tandem with a local podiatrist that I trained under and he "prescribes" me as follow up care for a lot of his elderly patients. The sad truth is; due to age and health issues that this appearance is very common on the elderly and has nothing to do with anything bacterial, fungal or viral. The most you can do is a good soak in something antibacterial/microbial with a lot of fruit acid AHA, a light brown sugar scrub and hopefully by the time you have soaked and soothed the toenails will be soft enough to be clipped and filed. The best clipper for toenails like this is a straight full jawed nail nipper. It opens wide and will cut straight across without "popping" clippings all over the place. I also make regular trips to the local retirement home just to keep this type of appearance down amongst our local elderly that can not make it down to my shop.

Poor man! I think some OAP's can get chiropody treatments on the NHS. My Mum got a special rate and was even visited at home when she could no longer get there.

It is worth suggesting he ask various chiropodists is they do an OAP rate. It's essential that the elderly get regular treatments as lack of mobility means thay cannot look after their feet.

The condition of this mans feet is not for a 'beautician'. It's good that you've helped him but you will help him more if you encourage him to get proper treatment

ahhh, i feel like i'm looking at a previous client of mine from the spa i used to work at. i'm glad i'm not the only one who's seen something like this LOL

they literally are replicas of each other. i convinced her to buy the anti-fungal nail treatment. i left that spa before she ever came back, but if she couldnt cut her own toenails or clean her feet, i am not sure if she ever used it.

anyways, it still haunts my dreams. :cry: i think i went on and on about it for three days straight. nevermind the stench. :rolleyes:

you definitely did the right thing. he absolutely needs a foot doctor (not sure what they call that in the UK).

do your best not to fret over it. it'll only drive you insane.

Latest posts

Back