Not getting excited anymore

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barrio

Reaction score
I finished nail school in April and before that I never had anything done to my nails other than Shellac manicure... Meaning, I was unfamiliar with everything.
I work at my Mothers hair salon as a nail tech... Some days its slow, some days are better..
But.. I Just dont feel excited anymore.
I feel like I am not getting anywhere.. My timings Are not improved.. I think my technique is lacking.. I Just dont feel i am progressing as a nail tech.. I always see mistakes, I always try to improves the mistakes I did Last time but I see New mistakes all the time..
I see so many perfect nails on Facebook or pinterest.. Clean cuticles, perfect shape, perfect apex.. I feel lost..
Has anyone felt that? What helped you? I feel so disapppointed..

I always feel this way too and that a good thing. It means you strive to improve.

Are you being challenged by the designs, shape etc? What is making you feel bored?

If Pinterest and Facebook pictures are making you feel inadequate you need to bear in mind that many may be enhanced photos, like looking at an airbrushed super model in Tatler. [emoji848][emoji6]

The fact that you see mistakes, feel bad about them and want to improve, shows you DO have heart for your work! Nails is harder than anyone actually realizes. There are SO many factors to take into account. SO many things that can go wrong and it DOES take time ( a LOT of time) to find your feet (and confidence)
Prioritize what you need to get better at first and focus on improving this one thing. When you feel confident you have seen results in your returning clients, move onto the next. There is always something to strive to get better at or practice.
Perhaps its the clientele at your mothers salon that is not exciting you? Perhaps, you might work somewhere else where there is a lot more nail art requested, different shapes, and not so mundane. You may just find your niche!
Look into up-skill courses or sessions with your tutor/brand to re-itterate what you do know and give you the confidence to work on some areas.

I always feel this way too and that a good thing. It means you strive to improve.

Are you being challenged by the designs, shape etc? What is making you feel bored?

It comes and goes.. I dont think I am really challenged.. I do have the odd clients who ask for more complicated nail art and I just looove drawing cartoons on nails.. But I feel that if someone comes in and asks for something more, I wont be able to provide it..

If Pinterest and Facebook pictures are making you feel inadequate you need to bear in mind that many may be enhanced photos, like looking at an airbrushed super model in Tatler. [emoji848][emoji6]

I know, I keep telling myself that.. It's just like s brain fart, my mind keeps disregarding that information...

The fact that you see mistakes, feel bad about them and want to improve, shows you DO have heart for your work! Nails is harder than anyone actually realizes. There are SO many factors to take into account. SO many things that can go wrong and it DOES take time ( a LOT of time) to find your feet (and confidence)
Prioritize what you need to get better at first and focus on improving this one thing. When you feel confident you have seen results in your returning clients, move onto the next. There is always something to strive to get better at or practice.
Perhaps its the clientele at your mothers salon that is not exciting you? Perhaps, you might work somewhere else where there is a lot more nail art requested, different shapes, and not so mundane. You may just find your niche!
Look into up-skill courses or sessions with your tutor/brand to re-itterate what you do know and give you the confidence to work on some areas.

Preach! So many things that can go wrong and I am trying to prevent one thing and I "forget" the other.. Its like a butterfly effect..
I feel I would fail a client who would ask me for something more difficult.. I know I cant compare to nail techs who have been doing it for decades and are competition winners, but damn I dont want to compare myself to my pass classmates..
I am planning to do some seminars in January but its so hard to choose where.. Everyone is out to get some bucks.. I mean.. My school held some semimars for nail art.. I knew most of them from youtube...

Preach! So many things that can go wrong and I am trying to prevent one thing and I "forget" the other.. Its like a butterfly effect..
I feel I would fail a client who would ask me for something more difficult.. I know I cant compare to nail techs who have been doing it for decades and are competition winners, but damn I dont want to compare myself to my pass classmates..
I am planning to do some seminars in January but its so hard to choose where.. Everyone is out to get some bucks.. I mean.. My school held some semimars for nail art.. I knew most of them from youtube...

Why don't you find someone whose work you admire and see if they do a class in a city you can get to? I got to see Celina Ryden work and it was great :)

Thank you guys for your answers... It was like as soon as i got things off my chest, everything got better..
I do like nail art and i think this might have helped,as its christmas and everyone asks for snowflakes, candy cane (i have stickers but i hate them) and it was more creative..
O decided to take things slow.. I focused on two things: 1. Getting the cuticle nice and clean 2. Getting the most perfect shape possible.
Then everything fell into place.. Colour application was flawless, smooth and shiny.. I did gel extension and I was the fastest I have ever been.. It was still slow by some standards but for me it was really quick.. The application was great, thin extensions with correct apex placement i think, and a c curve..

Latest posts

Back