Not getting great results with Spectrum Shimmer additive

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hello peeps,

Just a quick question to run by you. I'm absolutely loving additives, except for spectrum shimmer. I'm not getting a very nice effect with it. It doesnt look shimmery at all it just looks powdery and uneven. I've tried applying it very sparingly, and also a bit more generously, and I've tried it over various colours, but still not getting great results with it. I dont have a problem with any of the other additives, just this one.

Am I missing something? Can anyone recommend anything I could try? :Love:

I actually use the Spectrum Shimmer more for mixing with acrylic powder and adding it to that. It seems to be better suited to the acrylic powder, as I find it quite chunky for Shellac burnishing. When I do use it with Shellac, I tend to only use a very small amount or mix it with other additives first.

Great thanks for that, I'll give it a go with acrylic. I must admit it looks gorgeous in the pot, its just when i get it on the shellac I dont like it

I actually use the Spectrum Shimmer more for mixing with acrylic powder and adding it to that. It seems to be better suited to the acrylic powder, as I find it quite chunky for Shellac burnishing. When I do use it with Shellac, I tend to only use a very small amount or mix it with other additives first.

Great idea!

I love spectrum shimmer!

I tend to use it mixed with another colour additive and it goes on like a dream. If you want to use it on its own though, try adding it on top of your colour coat using a Brisa brush slightly dampened with Dsperse and pat it onto the nail.

Hths

I've only used spectrum on top of Blackpool but I loved it. It made it look galaxy nail-esque and turned it purple! Lovely :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Great thanks for that, I'll give it a go with acrylic

Love Spectrum Shimmer with Liquid and Powder :)
This is 5 parts CND Perfect Color Powder in Clear and 1/2 a part Spectrum Shimmer Additive
picture.php

This is 5 parts CND Perfect Color Powder in Clear and 1/2 a part Spectrum Shimmer Additive
picture.php

ahh that looks really nice!! That's what it should look like in my head, I shall give it a try with l&p thanks :D

picture.php

Gorgeous!

Sorry to be a bit of a thicko, but what do you use to do your measuring when you're doing your little pots and also what pots do you use?? So it would be say 5 tsps and 1/2 tsp?

Gorgeous!

Sorry to be a bit of a thicko, but what do you use to do your measuring when you're doing your little pots and also what pots do you use?? So it would be say 5 tsps and 1/2 tsp?

When measuring its 5 of anything to half of anything. So if you needed to make a vat or a thimbleful, the proportions are the same.

For additives I use the tip of a brush or something equally tiny to pick up small amounts. I invested in some small empty mixing pots so I can make up custom mixes & keep them Xx

Eta try eBay 'empty 5g pots' or similar X

When measuring its 5 of anything to half of anything. So if you needed to make a vat or a thimbleful, the proportions are the same.

For additives I use the tip of a brush or something equally tiny to pick up small amounts. I invested in some small empty mixing pots so I can make up custom mixes & keep them Xx

Eta try eBay 'empty 5g pots' or similar X

I do normally use my cuticle pushie to measure, but need to buy some 5g pots as the ones I have are too small and the tip of my brush touches the bottom and the acrylic goes all yucky.

I'll have to dig out some used acrylic pots.

Thanks chick. :D

Latest posts

Back