Not Glamourous enough & too old

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie111

Reaction score
Sorry if this is long.
Right this is something i need to get off my chest.
I do some work for a large company, manicures, massage etc. I've worked with this company for approx 3 years now and they often ask me to find other therapists in different areas for them.
There is a big job on next week and they have asked for two therapist, one being myself, after a bit hunting i found someone and sent hers and my photo off to the company as they needed them for our passes to get into the venue.
I got a phone call the following day (Wednesday) from the company saying that this other therapist wasn't glamorous enough and looked too old. Their reason being there would be a lot of men there and they wanted to attract the men to their stand.
I don't wear make-up as a rule and I'm certainly not glamorous.
In my opinion if it were my company I would rather have men walking away saying what a fantastic massage they had rather than wow shes was nice to look at.
I was totally gobsmacked to be honest and didn't really say much on the phone as it was one of those moments when you wish you had said things but I was totally gobsmacked.
Now this therapist looks absolutely fine to me, she is approx 3 years older than me.
I phoned the company yesterday to find out what was going on as I had not heard anything and left a voice mail asking for them to get back to me so I knew what was happening regarding the other therapist. I still haven't heard back from them.
I feel like saying that I won't be doing the job if the other therapist isn't even though I will lose approx a months money for just under 23 hours work. This would let the company down big time as the job is due to start on Monday.
I've run this past a couple of people and although they don't agree with it they say I shouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face.
I've thought of nothing else since I got that phone call and feel sick at the thought of having to tell this woman.
What do you think?

they should not have put you on the spot and in the middle like they have....i would not tell your friend the reason and make another up as that would defo hurt her feelings....still do it as your friend would want you to...xxxx

thats not legal is it, i thought there was leegislation to prevent discrimination on the grounds of age and looks.

Can't you say something to them like, I agree it's not a very flattering picture but don't worry she's perfectly lovely in the flesh, it's nothing for you to worry about ?

But.... HOW VERY DARE THEY! It's so rude!

I don't think theres anything wrong =with the picture though.
I don't know this woman, haven't even met her, I found her through a friend of a friend reccomended her for her professionalism and reliability not her looks.
If they say they don't want her there I am going to give them her number as I don't think its fair me having to phone her to cancel at such short notice whatever the reason.

We have SEX Discrimination and AGEISM laws.....to prevent this happening and I quote " we want to attract the men"

What will they do when they think you dont look glamorous or are too old for the job.......They are soooo bang out of order

I know that but have nothing in writing to prove that.

Hi Marie,

Its a difficult one... but i don't think you should not do it, as it would be silly to lose out on the work (and the mone)

From my experience of working in the events and promotions industry sometimes things are very looks based and if you don't fit the bill, i.e. you haven't got blonde hair then you're not employed for that job, and i guess with beauty and massage things can sometimes be the same...

Kate

Certain outside jobs (and their corporate clients do have a "look" in mind).

The position you have been put in is unfortunate. I'd just tell your friend they have filled the position and try and find someone else. I've been on the opposite end of your problem (all females wanting a particular male "look").

As an ex dancer/performer with a fairly outrageous look, many of my clients had a particular look in mind for "their" functions (it's purpose is often to project their image). I couldn't exactly turn up wearing makeup in a diamonte thong for a bahmitzvah .....(or flip flops and boardshorts at a Versace fashion parade) :)

That's why modeling agencies have "castings" and they have every right to pick and choose. They should have been more specific with you, then you wouldn't be in this position.

BTW, I'm too old and not glamorous enough to do that kind of work anymore (i retired gracefully quite a few years ago).

It's not necessarily politically correct, but it does and will continue to happen.

It is difficult however image is everything in this industry. This lady may look like an average person who is great at massage but the company will be wanting someone who is great at massage but also has something about them i.e. a great smile, nice hair, sexy eyes that will lure men to the stand and make them be remmebered. She is obviously just too plain for them.

I know it is harsh but don't turn the work down just because they have been mean to her..especially if they are going to pay you that much..If you were doing it for free i'd tell them where to go but sounds like you will do well out of it.

Hi Marie,

this has really got you chewed up and I dont blame you.

I would still do it...you have to look out for yourself here and it is awful (because we are professionals - looks never really came into it)

They should have been specific with you from the start, they werent, now you feel like **** - but they havent even lost a wink of sleep over it and you have.

Just make the excuse up - and do it and try to forget about the circumstances (I know you wont forget about it easily tho).

hope you get it sorted mate.

Paula

This is so not professional and also very rude to tell you the reason why they cant take the other therapist.I dont know what company this is but a serious company knows that is not allowed to discriminate regarding sex, age & colour.
Anca x

After that I would feel like not doing it as well.

But as you say, it is rather cutting off your nose.

Defo give them her number and try to get them to do their dirty work.
Bloody cheek. :irked:

Latest posts

Back