Not happy with my college, what do you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazz!!

Reaction score
Hi all,
sooooo have been at collage doing my level two in hairdressing i finish in july and im just not happy with the standared of teaching iv had.

We started off bad with our teachers son getting very ill so she had to leave so we had a temp teacher who is very good but she was getting tired doing 3 late nights, so we got another teacher she was pregnant and had problems with the baby so she had to leave to we had the temp teacher back, then we got another teacher and she has been off the last two weeks with double vision. So we are now sharing teachers with another class the teacher goes back and forth beetween the classes. We have also had two other teachers that have had us for a lesson each. So thats six teachers since september. All are teching different.

And no one is really keeping track of our progress and seeing if anyone is struggling asking us if we need to go back over anything. And it hard to ask them as their not your teacher so we are just going through the motions go to class if you have a client do it if not just sit and chat as the teacher is to busy with two classes to spend time teaching the people with no clients.

last week i did a graduated bob on a real client with curly hair i havent evan done it on a block. I did it beacause no one else would and the teacher said the balace was their but it wasnt quite right. And if we hadnt been so close to the end of the course i would fail but as their is not much time left i can pass. But didnt say what wasnt right and how to do it better as she had two classes to help.

I have paid £1500 for this course i have tried speeking to the department manager but he says they are doing their best and they cant help that the teachers keep getting sick which i do understand. But i have still payed good money and dont think im getting my moneys worth.

What would you do. X most of the girls havent paid so arnt quite an anoyed as me. But every one is a little anoyed by the situation.x

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Hi hun,

I've had a similar problem with my college. Have you spoken to anybody else in your class to see if they feel the same? A few of us complained at ours, but it took a couple of times and we had to go to the head of faculty to get them to pay any attention. Even then it took a few phone calls, e-mails and a letter but we finally got some money back for the course, as the standard of teaching just wasn't good enough. It wasn't a lot but at least it was something.

Maybe you should get more people to speak to the head if they are unhappy, and just keep trying until you get somewhere.

Good luck!

Sorry, just re-read the last bit. Again it was the same for us, not all of us paid but just try and get the ones that have to back you up. They might listen if it's more than one person who complains.

Hi
I would go to the head of the department with a list of everything and ask for an informal chat so you can get your concerns across.
Whether students have or havent paid for a course the standard should still be stuck to and if you feel that isnt the case,you really should voice your concerns so it doesnt get worse.
If you bought a product and you wernt happy with it,you wouldnt stick it in the cupboard and forget about it.Its no different in that respect.
Good luck and let us know how it goes
x

And no one is really keeping track of our progress and seeing if anyone is struggling asking us if we need to go back over anything. And it hard to ask them as their not your teacher so we are just going through the motions go to class if you have a client do it if not just sit and chat as the teacher is to busy with two classes to spend time teaching the people with no clients.

To be honest, we had similar problems in my old class but I'd say that this here is your problem. If you've paid for your course like I did, then make sure you take advantage of every minute. If I didn't have a client, I'd go and ask if a girl in another class (who were also often sitting around) would have her hair blow-dried or trimmed or coloured. I was pleasantly surprised at how many assessments I managed to do this way.

If you've made your complaints and they're not doing anything then that's not great but I found the best method is to try and solve the problem yourself. I was quite vocal if there was an issue but when the tutors recognised I wasn't just waiting for them to do it all for me, they were more forthcoming trying to help.

I think a lot of college attendees are seriously unmotivated and can't be bothered to do anything they're not told to do, so the tutors don't push them as much. If you demonstrate that you're not like this, it might help?

I do sympathise though - it can be quite tough to push yourself when everyone else seems so disinterested but don't give up!

Its not that we can be bothered. We are not allowed do assesment on each other. And if we practice on each other we have to pay and we cant use real colour on blocks as not allowed or we can if we pay.

And we have all have our hair cut lots theirs only so many time you can.have a hair cut. X

Its not that we can be bothered. We are not allowed do assesment on each other. And if we practice on each other we have to pay and we cant use real colour on blocks as not allowed or we can if we pay.

And we have all have our hair cut lots theirs only so many time you can.have a hair cut. X

I didn't mean to imply that you can't be bothered - I know how difficult it is to stay motivated under these conditions. We weren't allowed to do assessments on each other as we were too familiar with each other, but we were allowed to do them on students in different classes / courses.

Do you have a beauty department? Are there any students in there who might want hair services in exchange for you getting beauty assessments with them?

- really, I'm just trying to think of solutions to help you find clients! Could you ask friends / family on Facebook or something?

Sorry that came across wrong i didnt mean u to think i thought you thought i cant be bothered lol if that makes sence.

I dont have problem getting clients i only.some times dont have one and when i dont i would like to be able to go through somthing im struggling with like the short grad but the teacher dosent really have time with have two classes to teach. X

i would take it as far as you can, to the head if you have too. youve paid alot of money and if you leave not feeling confident your unlikely to make a career out of hairdressing

is there any way you could re take the second year practical classes again in september until you are at a standard you feel confident enough to pass on? if you do then ask for a refund on this years fees plus to enrol for free again next term to finish your course as compensation for the time you have wasted. there was a girl at the start of my second year who was carried over from the term before because she had had alot of time off and she was out and qualified by christmas

good luck, i wouldnt just let it go as you wouldnt pay that money for something else and then not receive what youd paid for

This is exactly why im currently taking my level 4 and a1 accessors award.
There arent enough hairdressers in colleges helping these students.
Most hairdressers,and in this case,as many the students themselves arent happy with the lack of knowledge or organisation within a college training scheme so i want to take some of my knowledge and try and help educate the next generation of hairdressers to be confident and competent in what they do.:D

Latest posts

Back