Not Happy with Star Nails Course :o(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have to agree aswell i originally trained in gel with star nails and the trainer was fantastic, that was 3 years ago, last year i did a nail art course with the same trainer and cannot fault the training or trainer at all. lots of background information, theory and practical aswell as good advice for starting out. There are good and bad in all companies, trainers are not watched all the time.

Have to say i got very good training with Star Nails the only thing i could complain about was one of the other girls on the course who was very distrubtive. My manual has been a godsend, easy lay out easy to understand and covers everything we need to know. I did have four different trainers due to unseen circumstances and all four of them were completly professional and very good educators. I think unfortualtly you get a bad apple in every cart, we do were i teach and sadly this gives the rest of you a bad name. I think as a starter in nails Star nails is not a bad company they teach you the same information as creative do and NSI and other big name companies, obviously each company has its own teaching methods and ways of doing things and they can differ from company to company. Star nails can give you the interest to carry on and improve your education, we all have to start somewhere.

Fab Freak said:
Well said Lily - Star get my vote too...I was trained with them and my trainer Was fantastic very knowledge was always early and very patient every with some of the morons in my class – who to be frank were quite obnoxious.

The handbook is great – not some shoddy photocopy but a nice printed version on gloss paper :cool:

And I agree with you both! I know that I had the same trainer as Fab Freak (one of Lily's friends) and she was excellent. She was very patient, explained things thoroughly and was critical whilst still being encouraging. I hope she manages to find a job soon - Lily, any word on that?

If I heard my ex-star nails trainer was doing courses in our area, I would definitely book on them.

I also liked the star nails products and thought they were reasonably priced.

Think I must have gone about things a weird way..... I trained at an independant training facility, their trainer was/is brill and she was contracted to the training company as a self emplyed trainer. They are not tied to Star but my certificates are awarded on their behalf. For workshops I dont have to use star products and I take my VCTC NVQ levels 2 and 3 next month at the same place. I dont hear of this anywhere else. Its a great way to learn, I intend using my CND Fabric wraps and IBD gel in my assessments!

HELP!!!!
scattyfox said:
Have to say i got very good training with Star Nails the only thing i could complain about was one of the other girls on the course who was very distrubtive. My manual has been a godsend, easy lay out easy to understand and covers everything we need to know. I did have four different trainers due to unseen circumstances and all four of them were completly professional and very good educators. I think unfortualtly you get a bad apple in every cart, we do were i teach and sadly this gives the rest of you a bad name. I think as a starter in nails Star nails is not a bad company they teach you the same information as creative do and NSI and other big name companies, obviously each company has its own teaching methods and ways of doing things and they can differ from company to company. Star nails can give you the interest to carry on and improve your education, we all have to start somewhere.

I am really worried now as I am new to the industry and am just about to start a courese with Star at my local Sallys. I was concerned about the exams as I am one of those people who did not do well at school but have really wanted to do nails for years. Can you please tell me a little about the format of the course. Is it essay style or mutiple choice papers? Just thinking about it makes me worry. please PM me with a reply. I'll be waiting. Thanks very anxiuos
Cath
scattyfox said:

caths nails said:
I am really worried now as I am new to the industry and am just about to start a courese with Star at my local Sallys. I was concerned about the exams as I am one of those people who did not do well at school but have really wanted to do nails for years. Can you please tell me a little about the format of the course. Is it essay style or mutiple choice papers? Just thinking about it makes me worry. please PM me with a reply. I'll be waiting. Thanks very anxiuos
Cath
HI Cath.
I did the training with Star Nails in Grimsby and i must say I was very pleased.
Since I'm not English I was anxious whether I manage to pass the test and I did! As long as you learn the manual you will be fine. First part was practical, you had (I think) 75 min to comlete one hand of your chozen system (all the girs came with their nails filed and prepared so you don't need to spend much time for prep.) And you have to practise beforehand to get the speed (which was very difficult for me since I didn't know anybody in England). After the break you have your written part. And there are only questions from your manual.
So good luck and let me knoe how you got on.
Leni

i also had a really good trainer, but there was a problem with my kit not turning up on the first day, so i did get sent away after only an hour, she did go through everything thoroughly with me though (i was the only one booked on the course!!)
Overall i was pleased with the level of training and i went on to do all of the workshops and got the diploma. at the time i was so pleased i had done it, but looking back now after changing to Creative, i wish i could have saved the money and gone straight to Creative, because their level of training is so much higher, as standard.

Becks

P.S i find its always hard to get hold of someone when you are complaining, not just star nails, BT and SKY spring straight into my mind, but those are very long stories.......

They go over with you in class before the exam what you need to be learning but if you keep reading your amnual you will be fine.. just to let you know the orgianl thread is a year old hun.
x

I think this is really bad. Star nails always get a bad name. I have trained with them in hove in l+p, gel and manicure and they were fantastic.
my trainer (Karen Tickler) was an amazing tech, she knew what she was doing, was always early, she took the time after the course had finished to answer any questions and correct any problems we had and even gave us her mobile number incase we needed assistance in the future. They are not all the same.

But if Star and their products are so crap like everyone says then how come 4 weeks ago i did a full set l+p on my mum and just because we havent had the time, they have not been infilled and they are all still on with no lifting???

I like star and just wIsh they would buck their ideas up and employ more trainers who have passion for the job like karen.

Hi Thanks so much for your reply. Can you remember how long the written is? I do feel a little better, but I know I shall still be nervous. Stupid I know. I don't even start for a couple of weeks. Any way I really appreciate you taking the time with me. So watch this space, Ha Ha
:hug: Cath
leni said:
HI Cath.
I did the training with Star Nails in Grimsby and i must say I was very pleased.
Since I'm not English I was anxious whether I manage to pass the test and I did! As long as you learn the manual you will be fine. First part was practical, you had (I think) 75 min to comlete one hand of your chozen system (all the girs came with their nails filed and prepared so you don't need to spend much time for prep.) And you have to practise beforehand to get the speed (which was very difficult for me since I didn't know anybody in England). After the break you have your written part. And there are only questions from your manual.
So good luck and let me knoe how you got on.
Leni

Hi
I just wanted to let you know that it really is down to the trainer. I trained with Star Nails a year ago and our trainer was Excellent. I had heard after I'd booked my course that some of the trainers were bad time keepers and phone hoggers, but nothing could have been further from the truth. The trainer we had even gave us all her mobile number to call her for advice or just a chat. I'm in Basingstoke and have nothing but praise for our area.
Really sorry for you guys who had problems. :cry: I'm sure you all are gonna be great Nail Techs despite the problems.
Cheers
Cath :hug:

I trained with Star Nails too. I did the total tech course. Really enjoyed the course but when you look back you really only learn the basics. I trained with the GF21 Gel has anyone else used it ? I had so many problems with lifting it was un true ! I now use NSI Balance gel system and LOVE IT and the super nail L&P System and love that too !! I complained to Star several times but had no joy felt like they had my money now the dont care !! I did speak to a really nice girl at Olympia and she was really helpfull . So I suppose it does depend who you talk to . My trainer was nice but by the end of my course she had handed her notice in and wasnt really giving us her full attention. And I too had to wait ages for my Certs. Im still in contact with a couple of the girls who were on my course and they have had the same experience as me and have all changed brands . It was really interesting to read everyone elses comments. Does anyone use the new Fusion range is it any better than GF21 and Performance ??? would be interested to hear any comments .

I was a student at college and the products we use are star nails too. the frist year was bad becouse the trainer did not teach us very well, so all the students made a potishon and gave it to the head the of courese.:(:cry: the head of the courese the next week came and talik to us and then we got a better teacher.:lol::lol::)

i done my star nails course five years ago, they were rubbish the products are crap and i've since been trained with creative nail design and will never go back to poor products

Latest posts

Back