Not Happy with Star Nails Course :o(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I want some advice regarding my star nails course.

The thing is i started the course and on day 2 everyone in my group was moaning about how bad the trainer was, she spent most of the time playing with her mobile phone than teaching us anything so we got on to the subject of how much we all paid for the course. It turns out that everyone on the course had paid £150 and i had paid £235.

As you can imagine i was not a happy bunny to hear this and not even happy with how i was being taught (if you could call it being taught!)

So after the course had finished i rang Star Nails and explained that i was not pleased with what i had learnt and that i was the only one who paid £235.

The lady who answered the phone told me that i had booked my course in February and if i had rang in January i would have got a special offer....Well i did ring and enquire in January and they did not mention a special offer to me, if they had, i would of booked it right away..

I was even more upset now and asked for the address to write to the manager. I wrote to the manager and heard nothing back after nearly a month so re sent the letter explaining it was the second sending. Another month later and still no reply.

I then rang to speak to the manager and he was not available, they took my number and passed it on and said he would call back that day, well he did not.

I have now left 4 messages, 2 of them on HIS voice mail and he still has not got back to me.

What can i do from here??

Star Nails do promotional months and its unfortunate that they didnt tell you that when you rang in January - you were unlucky coz when i booked mine i was told about it.

As far as the manager is concerned, i dont know which manager you are asking to speak to but you probably arent being forceful enough or going high enough up - be pushy and then see what happens. If necessary you go right to the top and make the complaint about everything you are unhappy about. A bad trainer can give a bad name to an entire company so she needs to be eliminated!

Hi Carole

Thanks for that, I have tried to speak to Kevin Mullany i dont know who else to speak with, how can i get the name of the manager above him??

HI

I sent a member of my staff on a star nails course and she isnt very pleased either. The first day went fine but the second! The trainer was 3 hours late she didnt bring any products with her, the girls kits didnt turn up and so they only got 2 hours training instead of 6!
I have rung united beauty and complained and left lots of messages, and believe me i am very forcefull,but i am getting no joy either!
I only sent her on this course as she is 16 and it is held locally. I would have preferred to send her to the creative acadamy in Leeds, but her parents didnt want her to travel on her own. Well you live and learn and i am disgusted with star and i wont be sending any of my staff on any more starnails training!
So good luck with your complaining but to be honest i doubt you will get anywhere.

im still waiting for my nail art certificate the women who was doing my nail art course was ok but she wasnt really good at nail art her self she said id get my certificate within 2 weeks ive complained they said the tutor hadnt even sent them the paper work they r not very organised there xx

Oh dear it seems many people are less than pleased with Star Nails, i would suggest to anyone reading this post not to use them they are rubbish and deffinately not worth the money they ask.

Thanks guys i will keep trying.

Brooke - A similar thing happened to me actually but not with Star Nails - I went on a course in Windsor which cost me around £450 for a 2 day nail technician course. It's only after having found this great site etc. and done some research that I've obviously found out how little I actually learned on those two days. I've now enrolled at City of Bristol college, spending another few hundred quid, but this time I'll know I'll have learned it all properly and gotten a recognised qualification.

I know it's not much consolation, but I know you're not the only one on this site who's found out their initial training isn't up to scratch. I say go direct to Star Nails (I'm assuming you trained via Sally's or Capital?) rather than the store mgr - and just keep pestering them until you get the answer you want. I'd say the least they ought to to do is send you on another course free of charge?

PS I'm so sorry for not having been in touch this week - it's been a bit hectic with work etc. I'm still available to be a model for you - I'll text you to rearrange?
xxx

When I did my Star Nails nail art course I must say I was disappointed too - our trainer showed us the VERY basics ("here's a picture of a load of painted tips to give you ideas, there's the polish, here's your brushes... now stick your tips on an upside-down box and have a play...") then proceeded to sit and paint her nails, leaving us to it, "'cos I'm going out tonight and won't have much time later.. :rolleyes: !!"

Hmmm, I was NOT impressed. Still, we live and learn...

I trained with Star and had a marvelous trainer so I got lucky I suppose, but I have to say their customer service has been lacking latley, I have sent two emails on the same subject but no response as yet

:twisted: ... but ever better than that another big disributor has just taken money of my credit card for goods I have never received or ordered :evil: - beat that eh....they will be getting a letter from me tonight

....PS any of you wondering the bosses son is out today yippeee :biggrin:

PPS I really dispare when it comes to customer service its basis and if you cant get it right then dont be in business

Fab Freak said:
I trained with Star and had a marvelous trainer so I got lucky I suppose, but I have to say their customer service has been lacking latley, I have sent two emails on the same subject but no response as yet

:twisted: ... but ever better than that another big disributor has just taken money of my credit card for goods I have never received or ordered :evil: - beat that eh....they will be getting a letter from me tonight

....PS any of you wondering the bosses son is out today yippeee :biggrin:

PPS I really dispare when it comes to customer service its basis and if you cant get it right then dont be in business
Yeah, i trained with Star and also had a fantastic trainer so i guess it depends which area you live in - short compensation to the ones who get crap trainers though is it :(

Hi Carole

My guess is that you had Georgie? She's great.

Unfortunately it is the same all over; so much depends on the skills of the trainer. It's not just with nails and it is so difficult to find out before hand.

Word of mouth and company reputation goes a long way.

As with many other services, maybe it is worth finding some previous trainees and asking their views. A good trainer/company should not have a problem with this!

Marian

mum said:
Hi Carole

My guess is that you had Georgie? She's great.

Unfortunately it is the same all over; so much depends on the skills of the trainer. It's not just with nails and it is so difficult to find out before hand.

Word of mouth and company reputation goes a long way.

As with many other services, maybe it is worth finding some previous trainees and asking their views. A good trainer/company should not have a problem with this!

Marian
Hi Marian
Actually, no, i didnt have Georgie! I had Abi - do you know her?

There was a vacancy for a star nails trainer in my area recently & I phoned up to get the details, the salary was only about £13K for a five day week, that would be about £9K after tax etc :evil: . I think that if you're any good at doing nails you'd be taking a pay cut to take on that job. You know the saying...You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

I have to say i did my training with Star and had an excellent trainer, she gave us so much information and also alot that i don't think you normally get on a basic course. My nail art course was alot of fun and over run by nearly an hour as we were all enjoying ourselves.

I also had her number and she would always help me in any situation if she could. Unfortunately Zoe no longer works there, and with that salary i'm not surprised.

I hate to say it but did a work shop recently with Star and was bitterly disappointed with it. I too am complaining to them as i wasn't impressed with the trainer at all and she had only been doing it a few months.

Don't sit back and let these things happen, if you don't complain and keep complaining they wont take alot of notice.

I did my gel course with Star Nails and we had a really good trainer - thoroughly enjoyed the course. Thoroughly dissapointed though as I had booked a workshop and then the company went belly up. I have now switched to pronails all in gel and found it be fantastic. The conversion course was brilliant and my trainer, Laura, was superb - totally committed to the nail industry and I learnt so much from her - it was brilliant.

chrisbow said:
I did my gel course with Star Nails and we had a really good trainer - thoroughly enjoyed the course. Thoroughly dissapointed though as I had booked a workshop and then the company went belly up. I have now switched to pronails all in gel and found it be fantastic. The conversion course was brilliant and my trainer, Laura, was superb - totally committed to the nail industry and I learnt so much from her - it was brilliant.

Hiya,

Just to let you know, if you have paid United Beauty money for a workshop, you should be getting a letter offering you new dates.

If you haven't please PM me so I can look into it. (I work for UBP!)

Georgie. x

I too did my 1st training with Star in Brighton back in Feb 2004. The course was so bad eg. tutor did not show up, next course she was 3 hours late, on mobile most of day etc... the list really does go on. There were 7 of us on the course and we all complained at the time. Think we were lucky as we complained as a group, Star agreed for us all to get full refund. Which they did give us within 2 weeks. However, we still paid for our kits which were very bad quality, lots of items had dried up or missing!!

Anyway, I paid £235.

I realise it is too late now as Star gone under, but think it is best to complain as a group at the time.

Following my bad experience, I went on the 4 day foundation course with creative and never looked back since.

I don't think you can tar all the Star Nails Educators with the same brush, two of my very good freinds worked for star nails as educators and allthough i havent been trained with them i know from other geeks who have that they were fantastic, i dont know if they ahve their jobs back yet.

I know this is no consolation for people who have paid alot of money for courses and get bad training, but i bet Star Nails is not the only company has given some bad training!!!!!!!!!

Anyway it looks like things are looking better for Star Nails and i wish them every sucsess.

Amanda

ps i hope my freinds get their jobs back!!

Hi Georgie

Thanks for that - I have received my letter offering me day in April.

Chris

Lily said:
I don't think you can tar all the Star Nails Educators with the same brush, two of my very good freinds worked for star nails as educators and allthough i havent been trained with them i know from other geeks who have that they were fantastic, i dont know if they ahve their jobs back yet.

I know this is no consolation for people who have paid alot of money for courses and get bad training, but i bet Star Nails is not the only company has given some bad training!!!!!!!!!

Anyway it looks like things are looking better for Star Nails and i wish them every sucsess.

Amanda

ps i hope my freinds get their jobs back!!

Well said Lily - Star get my vote too...I was trained with them and my trainer Was fantastic very knowledge was always early and very patient even with some of the morons in my class – who to be frank were quite obnoxious.

The handbook is great – not some shoddy photocopy but a nice printed version on gloss paper :cool:

Latest posts

Back