Not insured for spray tanning pregnant women

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesC

Reaction score
One of my regulars has booked her friend in for a spray tan. She is about 30 weeks pregnant & when i've checked with my insurance (ABT) they say i'm not covered to spray at any stage of pregnancy. My friend said "she won't be bothered about that" ! I am not prepared to go against my insurance , but not sure what to say. What would you say - i don't want to lose my regular x

I sound like a proper wet lettuce don't i? Just haven't come across anything like this before x

It's right about abt. I changed because I was doing so much that abt didn't cover. Hope that makes sense

And that was the reason I didn't go with them either... BABTAC does cover you.

As you're not insured just tell them sorry but no - you simply can't run the risk as IF something went wrong then you wouldn't be covered and like you wouldn't drive without insurance you won't treat without insurance... You know how to drive and you can drive your car, and you could probably drive her car safely with no accidents, but what if...

T

Thanks for your advice - the car comparison is a good one Tinx. Wish i'd known before i took out my insurance with ABT - this lade would be a regular too. Do you know if i have to wait until my policy is up until i can change without incurring charges (like car insurance) x?

Thanks for your advice - the car comparison is a good one Tinx. Wish i'd known before i took out my insurance with ABT - this lade would be a regular too. Do you know if i have to wait until my policy is up until i can change without incurring charges (like car insurance) x?

I was going to go with ABT for spray tanning too, glad you posted this, so thank you xx
Im with Salon Gold and have just nail insurance. As far as im aware, I cannot update my policy to add spray tanning, I have to re-buy a whole new policy that covers nails and beauty. Im currently waiting for them to get back to me to confirm this. So as far as im aware, you can go and buy insurance anywhere, you'll just have 2 policies running until the old one expires. I dont think you can get a refund, or if you can, they will more than likely hit you with an admin charge, which wipes out any refund anyway!
xx

I was going to go with ABT for spray tanning too, glad you posted this, so thank you xx
Im with Salon Gold and have just nail insurance. As far as im aware, I cannot update my policy to add spray tanning, I have to re-buy a whole new policy that covers nails and beauty. Im currently waiting for them to get back to me to confirm this. So as far as im aware, you can go and buy insurance anywhere, you'll just have 2 policies running until the old one expires. I dont think you can get a refund, or if you can, they will more than likely hit you with an admin charge, which wipes out any refund anyway!
xx

Thanks Caz, its such a pain, glad you saw this in time - this forum is great isn't it?. I just don't fancy being out of pocket but i suppose a few sprays on my pregnant lady will pay for it ...

Thanks Caz, its such a pain, glad you saw this in time - this forum is great isn't it?. I just don't fancy being out of pocket but i suppose a few sprays on my pregnant lady will pay for it ...

I did a lot of research and ended up with BABTAC as they DO allow you to treat pregnant women (obviously not if it's a contra indication for the treatment lol) and also if you gain more certificates you just send them a scanned copy and they update your insurance certificate and send it out to you. Some things cost extra to add on but because of the increased risk of treatment, not because you have added something extra...

AND they were the most helpful when I phoned them with a long list of questions! :D

You would also be insured immediately so you could spray this lady... :) And yeah it won't take many treatments on her to pay for your policy... :)

I did a lot of research and ended up with BABTAC as they DO allow you to treat pregnant women (obviously not if it's a contra indication for the treatment lol) and also if you gain more certificates you just send them a scanned copy and they update your insurance certificate and send it out to you. Some things cost extra to add on but because of the increased risk of treatment, not because you have added something extra...

AND they were the most helpful when I phoned them with a long list of questions! :D

You would also be insured immediately so you could spray this lady... :) And yeah it won't take many treatments on her to pay for your policy... :)

Just had a quote off Babtac & it would take me 3 spray tans to pay this off. Wish i'd known about this. When i was trained my trainer said it like it was very matter of fact - yes you can do pregnant women but if i was you, i wouldn't do under 12 weeks in case of miscarriage - she even said she recommended ABT ! x

If you have just took out the policy then I think there is a cooling off period or you can cancell the policy at anytime but they won't refund you any money. That's what I got told,

Granted I wouldn't do under 12 weeks either BUT for the first 4-6 weeks they may not know, some might not even know till 8 or more weeks - if they told me they were say 9 weeks then I'd recommend that they don't have any treatments until the 2nd trimester - not because it's harmful but because if anything happens they do not want to be asking themselves "what if"... once you point that out most will think about it and probably agree :)

Thanks for your advice. Tinx - totally agree re 1st trimester. x

I'm glad I read this as I've not had to check with them yet that I would be insured because I haven't done any pregnant ladies and my renewal is in a few days, I think I will go with salon gold instead now

Personally i have on my pre and post aftercare that its not recommended in the 1st trimester of pregnancy.

Reasons being, that the client would be hormonal imbalances ie changes, therefore the tan can take patchy/streaky in some areas, due to the imbalances- as the DHA only takes on the first couple layers of the epidermis. It doesnt affect the baby in any way as the DHA is a colourless sugar that just stains the skin. So no panicing!

If they are unaware or willing to go ahead its something i cover before and after i do spraytans to cover myself. To be fair its only happened to me twice, and one didnt know, and the other one really needed it for a party and she was a week of her 1st trimester- it came out fine. hths xoxo

Personally i have on my pre and post aftercare that its not recommended in the 1st trimester of pregnancy.

Reasons being, that the client would be hormonal imbalances ie changes, therefore the tan can take patchy/streaky in some areas, due to the imbalances- as the DHA only takes on the first couple layers of the epidermis. It doesnt affect the baby in any way as the DHA is a colourless sugar that just stains the skin. So no panicing!

If they are unaware or willing to go ahead its something i cover before and after i do spraytans to cover myself. To be fair its only happened to me twice, and one didnt know, and the other one really needed it for a party and she was a week of her 1st trimester- it came out fine. hths xoxo

Are you insured though Wonderwoman ? (i luuurve that name!!!):p

Are you insured though Wonderwoman ? (i luuurve that name!!!):p
Yep im insured via groupama (buisness cover, fixtures, liabilities and treatments etc) as i own my entire building it covers every aspect of my salon life in one! Simples! Pm me for more details. I had shopped around. xoxo

Latest posts

Back