Not making a living

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffydreams

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, haven't posted on here in months but I really need some advice.
I have been self employed for five years as a beauty therapist and nail technician. I moved into a new upstairs salon 12 months ago and the months of April to August were brilliant this year.

However September hit and I have been so so quiet since. I'm not really making profit at all. I have a regular client base but they seem to be staying away, I think due to Christmas coming up as they are all booked in over December and of course December is busy.

However these last three months have really taken their toll and I have used nearly all of my savings just to live. I am seriously considering if I want to carry on. I also think it's due to there being 12 salons in a one mile radius where I'm based plus countless mobile therapists.

I feel like I'm constantly fighting for business and do a lot of online promotion with my site, facebook etc. I have read Lynne Bakers thread countless times. I know it's not my work at fault as the return business is there, it's just extremely slow at the moment. Also in the past six months, ten small businesses have closed down in the high street I work in.
I have even started looking for employment as I literally cannot live.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?
Thanks xxx

Hi hun,

Thought I would reply as no one has yet.

It is so hard to my get disheartened isn't it?! my salon has been open 5 months, I'm based above a hairdressers.

July, August and September were ok for me but like you I have been dead since! We even offered 50% off selected treatments on Saturday! (yes, on a Saturday!)

people are saving their money for Christmas and as I am told so much we are a luxury industry and people do not always need us (so they think).

Just,try to stay positive, hopefully someone will be able to pass on some advice!

Chin up, hopefully things will get better :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hey fluffy long time no see. Awww I'm sorry to hear your not doing so good. If its any consolation from july to end sept were really good and steady for me but from oct to now its been quite dead with only a handful of regulars. I've just rented a room and offering spray tans for a tenner! This Friday and I've invited and so far only a few have taken me up. It's just a really slow time xx

Hello

I only opened in February and from then until Sept was fab, I took for granted how quickly I gained a regular client base but now I have gone quiet also.
I believe in our industry November tends to be a tough month for everyone. So don't beat yourself up too much about it. If you really are struggling for clients to the point youre worried about rent etc perhaps it is time to take on an evening job just so you have some guarantee of income, kind of takes the edge off worrying so much?
It sounds like you are actively doing as much as you can interms of trying to promote, have you considered an advert for christmas bookings? In your local paper or something similar? Have you tried flyering? These are my next steps. Recommend a friend would be good if you already have a client base? Concentrate on getting yourself booked up for the festive period and promoting gift vouchers etc
If you are still worried about the now perhaps think about your overheads? Down to the basics such as lighting etc if these arent included in your rent?

Good luck.

Hi, how about developing some sort of promotional campaign that is Christmas focused - and so starts now and runs through to Christmas. Decide what your promotional offer will be and then get that message out there in every place you can. A consistent message in many places works well. ie leaflets in the local housing and business areas, facebook and twitter, in-salon promotion (maybe an event of some sort), networking at local groups....I know what it's like when it's quiet, my salon was always quiet in the winter months (june, july, aug for me in Australia) and it was tough. Hang in there...

Thankyou for all of the reassuring posts.
I know it's not just me struggling, it is such a hard time. I am looking for a part time job to do alongside at the moment. Then at least I know my bills can be almost paid with that.
I hope everyone else picks up soon too xx

Could you send out a questionnaire to your clients you've not seen in a while and they fill in anonymously and send back, to gain some feedback and include a voucher for a treatment they've never had as a thank you just small wax file and polish

This time of year is usually quiet. When you started your business did you not take this into account when doing cash-flow projections for the year? If not, in future, you need to remember that the busy summer months will be followed by what may be appalling winter months.

This time of year is usually quiet. When you started your business did you not take this into account when doing cash-flow projections for the year? If not, in future, you need to remember that the busy summer months will be followed by what may be appalling winter months.

Soz Fluffydreams, just reread yr post and realised you have not just set up! Notwithstanding, I always found this time of year the hardest! Many geeks say they struggle in the new year, but I always found the new year ticked over and then got busier thereafter. My quietest time was always end of Sept to xmas (half term Oct was busy with clients that were teachers).

Latest posts

Back