not so good mobile hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqui

Reaction score
Hi
I am hoping someone can help me..... Mobile hairdresser came tonight to put hghlights in my hair, she pulled out a kit that i could have bought myself in the shops, said she had ran out of bleach.

Anyway saying as i know nothing about hair i didnt question her.

I asked for only a few fine highlights in and to my horror the top of my hair is practially all yellow...

I have a dark brown hair colour at home and i was wondering if i could put some thin brown tips in over the bleach or will it be best to cover whole head..
I am only asking as i am at work tomorrow (in a shop) and i couldnt possibly get time off to get it corrected...

please help....

Last edited:
please help me hair geeks...

sorry this reply might be 2 late... anyhow ill try anyway...
if u put the colour ( im not sure what colour u have ) over the area she has highlighted only.. this could and probably would (unless the box colour u have is a match 2 ur own hair colour) look just as bad,and possibly the end result would look oddly multi tonal.. if i was u and u still have time i would put the colour all over, the area she highlited might be slightly different 2 the colour u get on the rest of ur hair but as a rule is will be a lot more blended, make sure u cover the highlited area extremelly well... i hope this helps u a little? let us know how it turns out xx

if u cant get to go to a hair salon without seeing it i would get a semi permanent colour (a colour closest to ur natural colour )and put it over the highlighted area depending how bright it is and then when the colour is off and dry put a permanent colour over either all ur haed or just the highlighted bit depending on how much a difference in the colour is.. putting the semi colour on first will how can i explain put like a colour coating on the highlighted hair first and then the permanent colour will take and look better when its done .. hope u can understand this :)

i would put like a light brown/medium brown and then the blondy streaks will turn a nice colour..same thing happened to me this weekend with my fringe, i asked for steaks and they turned blondy/white, but i used a shade 6 colour, medium golden brown and they look really caramel now..really nice...

or - go to a proper hairdresser and get in done professionaly..x

Hi,
Thanks for the replies girl's...

When i was on my break, I popped over to the hairdresers where i used to work, the girl there told me to buy a 6.3 after she inspected my hair.....

Wish me luck.. i'll let you knowhow it turns out...

One more question:
Do you think I could just put a few brown streaks in to calm it down as I originally only wanted a few fine highlights in, or would it be best to cover all the highlights which would mean i'm back to brown hair...

Thnks again,

its u to you hun just depends on how much highlighted hair u have it would probably be easier to cover the whole area but u could leave a few light bits over and use a silver shampoo to tone the highlights down a bit

did u phone the mobile hairdresser after to tell her u wernt happy?

Hi

lavender blue's advice is spot on!

Without seeing your hair and being able to evaluate how much tone is left in it its a little difficult.

However if your old hairdresser has suggested 6.3 then i would go for that. If you want to keep some of these blond highlights a way to do it is to pick out what you want to keep with a tail comb, pop in some foil packets with conditioner ( the conditioner will help it stay in the foil) then put your 6.3 on the rest of the hair.

Personally i would use a semi-permanent and then get it sorted out properly when you have time.

This is the problem with using Mobile's they often have no insurance and no professionalism!! No offense to any good mobiles out their intended. I have some friends who are mobiles and are very professional but alas have no insurance.

Hi,
yeah i tried to ring her but got no reply..

i have put the colour all ovr the highlights and it's tuned out ok, my hair is now brown with a sort of caramel colour highlights, I would have loved blonde highlights but it was not to be.

Anyway thanks for all the advice, i wouldn't have been able to correct it without you all.

I spent a day at work with over bleached hair with some funny looks from the customers, Ha Ha.... but it's fine now..

:hug::hug:

u should keep trying to ring the hairdresser she probably isnt answering as she knows she cocked up!

I have tried a few times, I give up now...but I wont be ringing her in the future for my hair either..

Hi

lavender blue's advice is spot on!

Without seeing your hair and being able to evaluate how much tone is left in it its a little difficult.

However if your old hairdresser has suggested 6.3 then i would go for that. If you want to keep some of these blond highlights a way to do it is to pick out what you want to keep with a tail comb, pop in some foil packets with conditioner ( the conditioner will help it stay in the foil) then put your 6.3 on the rest of the hair.

Personally i would use a semi-permanent and then get it sorted out properly when you have time.

This is the problem with using Mobile's they often have no insurance and no professionalism!! No offense to any good mobiles out their intended. I have some friends who are mobiles and are very professional but alas have no insurance.
:irked: I THINK IT IS TOTALLY UNFAIR AND IRRESPONSIBLE OF YOU TO PUT A GENERAL REMARK LIKE THAT ON THE WEB ABOUT MOBILE HAIRDRESSER'S I HAVE BEEN A MOBILE BEAUTY THERAPIST FOR 8 YEARS AND HAIRDRESSER FOR 3 I HAVE ALWAYS HAD INSURANCE I AM MORE PROFESSIONAL THAT A LOT OF SALONS AS I AM GOING INTO PEOPLES HOUSES AND THEY EXPECT MORE FROM ME BECAUSE OF THAT, I DO KNOW THAT THERE ARE HAIRDRESSERS OUT THERE WITH NO INSURANCE, BUT YOU CAN NOT SAY THAT IS THE MAJORITY OF THEM JUST A SILLY FEW. OFFENSE HAS BEEN TAKEN AS THIS SORT OF REMARK CAN HARM BUSINESSES NO END FOR HARD WORKING, TRUST WORTHY AND PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE.

Little Angel wasnt intending to offend, so dont get too angry. But also, i think LA could have worded it a little better. As we all know, under / unqualified people can be working from anywhere, not just mobile. However mobile is the best guise for them, as with premesis comes checks from authorities etc.

however i do know of room renters that have apparently been unqualified!

going of topic anyway...

glad your hair turned out ok. i had the same a few weeks ago, wanted caramel strands and rich brown all over (which is what i alredy was), like eva longoria or whatever her name is, had a pic in front of me and everything! ended up with ginger and copper n top and dark brown underneath. not impressed! lol. So just whacked a movida brown on it to tone it down. Needs touchin up again now because the ends are a bit darker!!

what are we like eh! lol. We need a geek list of approved hairdressers / techs / therapists!

Unfortunately there are many mobile hairdressers out there who are underqualified or whose training is out of date that give the good ones a bad name.

I for one had a very bad experience with a mobile hairdresser one week before my wedding. I asked for a full head of foils. She used those plastic white things rather than foil and didn't even weave the bleach through, she simply plastered it on. The result was that my hair was bright yellow, nearly all of it was coloured and it was uneven at the roots and patchy where she had let it bleed through. She must've used a strong bleach too as it wrecked my hair.

I got my money back though by threatening her with further action and it turned out she had trained 20 yrs ago with no updating and had not practised hairdressing for 10 years of it due to having kids.

I will never use a mobile hairdresser again and neither will any of my friends or family.

They need to properly regulate hairdressing like they do with other professions. That way properly qualified hairdressers could be put on a register and to remain on that register they should be required to do a certain amount of training updates throughout their career. It would mean I would feel happy using a mobile hairdresser again if I could check they were correctly registered.

A friend of mine has just taken up mobile hairdressing, she qualified as a hairdresser 14 years ago and has been out of the profession for about 8 years. I considered using her but when I questionned her about her highlighting techniques, she does not weave them through and simply takes lumps and put thems in the white and plastic things rather than the foils.

Was it the norm back along with training that weaving did not occur and foils were not used?

A friend of mine has just taken up mobile hairdressing, she qualified as a hairdresser 14 years ago and has been out of the profession for about 8 years. I considered using her but when I questionned her about her highlighting techniques, she does not weave them through and simply takes lumps and put thems in the white and plastic things rather than the foils.

Was it the norm back along with training that weaving did not occur and foils were not used?

I may get smacked for this as i am not a hair geek :smack:....BUT

When i went to college to train as a hairdresser.....we never done weaving so maybe these hairdressers just need a course where they catch up.....

But i wanted to say......we use to get sections of hair ...not lumps as you say ...and colour them.....and can i ask what are these white plastic things you are talking about?????.....
Also....not all mobile hairdresers are not trained....same as nail techs...not all have had training ...and i would think the same is said of skin people.

The white plastic things are meche. They do the same job as foil but have a sticky strip at the top so the hair stays in place. Personally I prefer foil as its cheaper, you can make it any length you want (meche usually only comes in 2 sizes) and I personally think you can get closer to the root with foil. hth x
The taken out "lumps" though I can only asume she means slices?

The white plastic things are meche. They do the same job as foil but have a sticky strip at the top so the hair stays in place. Personally I prefer foil as its cheaper, you can make it any length you want (meche usually only comes in 2 sizes) and I personally think you can get closer to the root with foil. hth x

Thanks for that hun.....i have never heard of it or seen one....xxxxxxxx

The taken out "lumps" though I can only asume she means slices?

i like foil, we have easy meche at college....not easy to me..lol i much prefer foil we also get taught at college to weave

i am glad i was taught weaving at college , its not easy if you dont know what you are doing (well its not always easy when you do:lol: !!)
i use both foils & easi meche :green:

i was taught weaving at college, i liked that bit. fitting the foins / meches was another story lol. I tended to do it with the spatula and only foil if i had to. im sure You can actually get easy meche on a roll. so you cut it to th lenght you want!!

Latest posts

Back