Not sure if my job is legitamite

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqui

Reaction score
I started work in a clothes shop in May this year.

We first went in on the Friday and Saturday to get the stock out, as he was just opening. He told us we would work a week lying on, which was fine with everyone.

We all started to get a bit worried when we started because he hadn't asked for any bank details for our pay, but he said we would be paid cash. The first pay (for the Fri & Sat) we got cash in hand.
The next week, we were all expecting to pay emergency tax because he didn't have our P45's in time but we didn't.
One of the girls has tried to update her circumstances with family credit and they advised her to contact the tax people because we have no tax reference or payroll number on our paslips. The taxman then tells her he has no record of the P45's have came from there and there is actually no record of the business. We think he might be taking tax off us but not actually paying it to the taxman. Any ideas what we should do?

He only comes to the shop on a Thurs, Fri and Sat, so we are going to ask him about our tax reference number for the family credit.

Any views would be welcome.

None of this sounds right at all......and if you are not paying National Insurance then you will not be entitled to any benefits if you leave.
I know of some people this has happened to, they have worked somewhere for years, being paid cash in hand, thinking tax & national insurance has been deducted. Then when the business closed, and they went to the Benefits Agency they were not entitled to anything.

The onus is really on you now to make enquiries and sort this out.

Thanks izzidoll,

This happened to my mam a long time ago, she worked for the same company for years thinking her tax was being paid. We didn't find out until she retired and she had to pay all the tax back.

I know this is a job and your wages.. but I would report him (warn him first) purley for the fact YOU will get all the probs later.. If he has nothing to hid then he wil not be effended,

Jacqui, I replied to one of your posts yesterday about not getting holiday pay. He is quite clearly breaking the law.
I would personally be looking for another job if I was you, as he doesn't take employee welfare seriously. Warn him about these issues, but be prepared, as he may well let you go.:hug:

do you have any form of contract jacqui?? xx

I know this is a job and your wages.. but I would report him (warn him first) purley for the fact YOU will get all the probs later.. If he has nothing to hid then he wil not be effended,

Jacqui, I replied to one of your posts yesterday about not getting holiday pay. He is quite clearly breaking the law.
I would personally be looking for another job if I was you, as he doesn\\'t take employee welfare seriously. Warn him about these issues, but be prepared, as he may well let you go.:hug:

do you have any form of contract jacqui?? xx
No, we don't have a contract.

Hi thanks for the replies,
We spoke to him today and he has given us a PAYE tax reference number for us to give to family credit.
The girl who originally phoned family credit and the tax is phoning them tomorrow with all his details eg. name, business address and PAYE tax reference number so hopefully we will know more tomorrow.

No, we don\'t have a contract.

Hi thanks for the replies,
We spoke to him today and he has given us a PAYE tax reference number for us to give to family credit.
The girl who originally phoned family credit and the tax is phoning them tomorrow with all his details eg. name, business address and PAYE tax reference number so hopefully we will know more tomorrow.

good luck with it all jacqui - if he has a tax ref he can be traced xx

Had a long chat with the boss today.
He took us all into his office indinidually, to ask us if we had any concerns, whether we had any suggestions to run the better and if we were unhappy about anything.

He seemed really genuine, well I hope so anyway.

I asked him about hol pay and he said we would be getting paid but we have to accumulate our hols and we would end up having 2 wks paid hols plus bank hols.

He also said that if he has worked it out wrong the PAYE would let him know.

Going to ring family creit on Monday and try to sort out my claim and hopefully things will be ok.
Thanks for all the replies.

Double check those holiday days Jacqui. You are legally entitled to 4 weeks including Bank Holidays if you're full time (or days in lieu) and there are 8 BH days a year in the UK. It may only be 2 days but you need your legal requirement.

Thanks Odette,
I will check them out.

Latest posts

Back