Not sure what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keating4135

Reaction score
I have only recently qualified and started working Moblie . I did a full set of arcylics on a lady today and she said she wanted pink & whites , her natural nails were quite long but some had broken so some were short . She didn't want me to file down any of her nails to put tips on so I suggested forms( did I do right).
I'm not very confident with sculpting white smile lines , so the lady wasnt happy with her nails and I tried everything to keep her happy by filing the white arcylic down and redoing it several times but she still wasn't happy. I felt that this has given my confidence a big hit but tried not to show this , as I was short on timei offered to come back and redo her nails .in side I felt really upset so I didn't want to take her money and just left.
About 15 minutes after I left I got a message from her saying that I had damaged her table , but I am certain that I protected the table with my towels and couch roll . Im not sure what to do as before I left she helped me clear the table and I didn't see any marks and she didn't say anything to me , any advice would be appreciated as I'm not sure what to
O

With regards to the table, go back and see her table with your own eyes, and if it may of been you, speak to your insurance and see what they would advice.
With regards to your l&p it will take you months, maybe years to 'master' it, you just need practice. Buy a box of tips. And just practice practice practice :) hope that helps xxxx

Thank you for ur advice , will telephone my insurance first thing in the morning

I know this doesn't help the situation you are in but maybe it would be worth investing in a mobile nail table, it will prevent any further possible damages, they are also better to work at as they are the right depth, hope all goes well for you :hug:

Yes I have been looking at a few sites for one since this incident happened , thank u for ur advice

This incident has just made my confidence go through the floor and make me feel I'm not good enough to carry on anymore

This incident has just made my confidence go through the floor and make me feel I'm not good enough to carry on anymore

Ahh hun this will of knocked you but get back up and dust yourself down,
No matter what you do you will always have challenges along the way, it's how you deal with them. Like suggested I would go and see the table, maybe take a photo (just incase) and tell her you will be in touch, see what your insurance says in the morning but please don't feel down, You will get it sorted whatever the outcome but don't question yourself, this lady dose not sound the easiest of clients x x

Thank you everyone for ur advice

Hi , a little tip that might help work over a ironing board u can get it at the right hight right distance and most house holds have them and if anything happens cheap to replace xxx

I used ironing boards until I got portable table. Having comfortable position makes a difference. I also find sculpting pink and white with acrylic really hard so currently stick to tips until have perfected that skill. When you look back you'll probably realise you learned a lot from this particular appointment which will benefit you in the future. Every cloud ....

Thank you all advice appreciated

I have only recently qualified and started working Moblie . I did a full set of arcylics on a lady today and she said she wanted pink & whites , her natural nails were quite long but some had broken so some were short . She didn't want me to file down any of her nails to put tips on so I suggested forms( did I do right).
I'm not very confident with sculpting white smile lines , so the lady wasnt happy with her nails and I tried everything to keep her happy by filing the white arcylic down and redoing it several times but she still wasn't happy. I felt that this has given my confidence a big hit but tried not to show this , as I was short on timei offered to come back and redo her nails .in side I felt really upset so I didn't want to take her money and just left.
About 15 minutes after I left I got a message from her saying that I had damaged her table , but I am certain that I protected the table with my towels and couch roll . Im not sure what to do as before I left she helped me clear the table and I didn't see any marks and she didn't say anything to me , any advice would be appreciated as I'm not sure what to
O

Next time try to sculpt all 10 fingers in clear then go back shape and file then do the french and its much easier then trying to sculpt with white when your not confident yet and it will take a bit longer but look a lot nicer just a tip thats what I do :)

O

When I first started, we had ladies coming into the salon and leave half way through the treatment in a strop. Then, they'd go to our sister salon and get the other hand done, and again, walk off in a strop and not pay. Ridiculous eh? What I learnt from this experience is NEVER tell your client that you've just finished training. Ever.

At least you know what you need to work on too, just practise that smile line! If your client asks you not to file her nails, say that's part of the treatement! Crikey, your a nail technician what does she expect? Magic filing or something?!

Don't let this woman break your confidence, you've only just begun and you've got a bright future ahead of you as a professional nail technician.

Good advice from all,
I have found that clients who usually have their own nails long are the most dificult when it comes to adding extensions ( me being one of them)Has anyone else found the same thing ? Maybe it's because we are used to the nail being much thinner and flatter ? I know extensions should be fairly thin but getting them as thin as a natural nail sometimes means that you are sacrificing the strength of the enhancement. Especially when still new without the experience it is very hard to get right, so don't let it get you down too much. Keep practising and it will get better. I promise.LOL, at least nail biters are grateful for finally having nails, any sort of nail will do. The lucky ones who can grow their own seem to keep comparing the enhancement to the real thing.

Hello. Please dont let this knock your confidence, we were all newly qualified once and many of us have gone through situations like this where our confidence is knocked. Keep practising your smile lines and in time you will get there.

I have two pieces of advice for you. Firstly, have the confidence to let the client know that you are qualified and know what you are doing. If in your professional opinion her nails are all different lengths, broken etc and they need filing down to the same length and tipping, tell her that, even if she insists you do it a different way. Think of it this way, when you take your car in for a service would you dream of telling the mechanic how to do his job? If a customer does this to you, explain to her that it would be the wrong way to apply her nails, tell her why, and tell her how you intend to do it. Obviously your customer will tell you how she wants them to a certain extent, but dont allow your client to dictate your application method.

Also, buy some cheap tips and some blu tack. Make yourself a blu tack finger and press a tip into it to make a practice finger. Practice your smile lines ever day (I did 20 a day when I first qualified). My husband went up the wall cos wherever you turned in the house were tips everywhere but it was worthwhile!! Also get your hands on live models at any available opportunity because there's nothing like practising on the real thing. I did this when newly qualified and I am very confident with my smile lines and zone 1 application now.

Good luck x

Latest posts

Back