Not sure what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldigga

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Need some advice please,I'm qualified in most aspects of beauty and have been mobile for about 5years,I decided to go to college this year and do my level 5 hairdressing,I've just been offered a great opportunity to rent space in a beauty salon part time which will be a big help financially the lady who owns the salon has asked me if I could do some hair ups and curling and make up,now I know I'm still training and would obviously not charge anyone the full amount and I would also get student insurance to cover me,am I allowed to do this? I wouldn't be cutting or colouring at all just putting hair up and curls and make up which is part of my course,I would also explain to all clients that I was still training,I'm just not want to go ahead with it if its not legal or anything,any advice would be great ladies thanks

Does student cover insure you to charge at all? I'm not sure it does, not even to cover costs but it would be worth clarifying this.

I'm sure you can get insurance for this by doing a one day hair up course. I'm sure a friend did this. As for make up, again this is minimal risk as far as insurance goes so it's worth speaking to an insurance company.

When I first started in make up I had no formal training or qualification just a lot of experience. From memory I did a make up day with a company and was able to be fully insured.
Definitely have a chat with a coupe of companies and see what quals they want.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had a similar situation last year when I was training in beauty. The answer is yes.

I could only do treatments which I had been deemed competent by my tutor - after assessments. You can then charge a nominal/reduced price to what would usually be charged in industry.

Obviously, check with your insurance company. If you already have insurance (full) they will normally cover you for the training elements under your existing policy and class those units as 'case studies'.

Thanks for your replys ladies,I've got insurance which runs out next month but its beauty insurance would I not need a seperate one for hair? The lady im going to be renting from says for my beauty i will be covered under the shops insurance,is this right?Would I need to let my college know that I was doing this? I've seen a girl on Facebook from my area offering a makeup service and hair ups and I knows she's not trained in either this is why I wondered bout the whole thing,thanks

If you're self employed then no you would not be covered on the salon insurance, you need to get your own.

Latest posts

Back