Not sure!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicky

Southern Geek
Reaction score
Iv been working in a salon for a few months now and i really love it...i love the girls i work with and the clients are great and good fun. I have one very big problem, the girl that own's the salon's mother..!!
When i first arrived she said that the salon would advertise me and puts some ads in the local paper, do flyers etc....This just hasnt happened and it seems now the 3 days im working there at least 2 of them in sat doing nothing. The mother has never worked in a salon but she thinks all her idea's are great and will work..(there not working) When her daughter has a client she is over them like a rash, making coffee etc..when our client come in...nothing..!!
It wouldnt be so bad if the shop was a ground level but its not so passing trade isnt that good. Today me and the beauty theorapy girl did nothing all day..!!! Its getting us both down. Something has got to change but we dont no what!

Then i spotted a small ground level shop across the road in a better location for rent...£100 per week, we are both interested but not sure wether to make the jump...any advice is welcome..?

why not go for it, if you and your friend are both confident you can offer a great service, why should you not suceed? you would get to make your own decisions, and do plenty af advertising. i am sure you could cover £100 per week between you. i would certainly give it some thought, if you decide not to take the plunge, ask for a meeting with the owner where you work and ask for an explination of why you aren't being advertised. explain how eager you are to actually 'work', and she might just realise she isn't taking full advantage of you and the beautician being there!

good luck

let us know whats happening.

Beck

Hiya

Go for it!

You will need to borrow some money to do it up and for your equiptment. Yours is quite cheep but the Beauty Therapist's can run into thousands depending on which treatments your going to offer.
Put together a business plan and approach your bank. Dont forget to have a partnership agreement drawn up to. (fall outs can happen)

One way or another you are going to have to face this woman - or the daughter. If she won't resolve your issues then it's time to jump ship - either look for another salon to rent space, or take the plunge and go for it on your own (partnerships are destined to fail) and rent space to the beautician. Look into all the other costs though, like rates, electricity etc - take legal advice before you sign up to a lease.

IF I WAS YOU I WOULD GO FOR IT WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE?

YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE LIFE ON
"WHAT IF'S" AND "COULD OF BEEN'S" DO YOU?

IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT LOCATION AND PROMOTE YOUR BUISNESS THE BEST YOU CAN THEIRS NO REASON WHY YOU WON'T DO WELL.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go for it hun!

and be a ten times better salon than the present one!!:D

Cheers girls....! I'm gonna go for it. I have left a message with the agent so hopefully i can go and look round the shop instead of looking through the window...lol my hubbie is a builder (airbrusher of helmets too) so he will put up walls so i can rent out different treatment rooms. I have a hairdresser interested in renting a space but she will put in her own fittings...God i hope this works...!!

GOOD LUCK I'M SURE YOU'LL DO GREAT LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT!

vicky said:
Cheers girls....! I'm gonna go for it. I have left a message with the agent so hopefully i can go and look round the shop instead of looking through the window...lol my hubbie is a builder (airbrusher of helmets too) so he will put up walls so i can rent out different treatment rooms. I have a hairdresser interested in renting a space but she will put in her own fittings...God i hope this works...!!

good luck honey!

vicky said:
Hiya Vicky,

Go for it girl you havnt got anything to loose, if you need any advise let me know!!! having set a salon up last year and now another one i know the ins and outs of the dreaded planning department!!!

I'm sure that it will do brilliantly, keep us posted and let us know how you get on.

Amanda

p.s hope you are well, take care hun

Thanks Amanda....keep your pm box clear cos no doubt il be filling it...! lol Just the money iv got to sort out now...anyone got a rough idea??

I know im a pain....sorrrrrrryyyyy

hi vicky

best thing if your renting out to say a hairstylist, beauty therapist and then yourself as a nail tech i would have a lovely communal retail area in reception where you can all display your retail (you can get hair and beauty client purchasing your products to easy retail) If your hubby is a builder then your sorted there. As for equiptment then you will only have to pay for your reception and your nail room the others will pay for there own equiptment.
I would say to set up your reception with nice shelves and setee and dest plus flooring depending on the size £3000 your nail room prob the same

I know exactly how you feel i had a jobin a beauty salon where i thought i would be doing nails aswell as i am trained in both nails and beauty, i only worked on saturdays as they said i didn't have enough experiance to work full time and all i ended up doing was watching the reception all day (how boring). They promised me training which i never got and they never even tryed to help me get any clients in. They helped the other girl who worked there by offering clients a 10% discount if they booked with her and not even a mention of me!!! HOW RUDE, they lied to me all the time about various things and eventually they took in the office and told me i would have to go as there is not enough business to keep me on!!! i was really upset as they didn't even try for me! sorry for moaning i just wanted to let you know your not on your own.

Just to keep you posted...im off to see the bank tomorrow to see if the nice people at tsb will help this tech out...lol i'm going for it alone and im gonna put a package together for the beauty girl to come and work for me...omg that sounds strange...! So Scared...its such a big step

Thanks guys for all your help and support...i'l keep you posted

Vicky xx

Bad news Ladies....someone else has got my shop....:cry: im so upset...!

I guess iv learnt to be quicker of the mark and go after what i want...!

Thanks for everyone help and support..xx

Ask the agent to keep you in mind if this falls through and ask him.her is anything else is on the market - I know, it sounds obvious but some people don't think outside the box! A bit of advice - think through your business plan very carefully as having so many different therapists in may leave you little time to develop YOUR business.

Good luck
Cathy

Latest posts

Back