Not talking proper like....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we talking about on Geek or the spoken word (in person)?

Just wondered :wink2:

wow theres alot of things people say that annoy you lot then.. some people really cant (can not) help the way they type.. for example i sometimes miss the letter G at the end of words.. somethin.. but that cause (sorry because) my G key is broken on the keyboard!!

its sometimes hard to understand what is being wrote but i dont think it really bothers me that much.. each to their own i think:irked:

Don't poke the dragon..... I would likely offend someone.

There are one in a million ways that you can annoy me with the spoken word. Shall we leave it at that? LOL

But I have to say... I just LOVE watching shows/movies with characters from the UK when they yell "OY!" I've started saying it now LOL:lol:
I'm not sure what "OY!" means, I just like how surprised they sound when they say it, like they've been pinched in the arse hahahahahahahaha:eek:

I use oy quite a bit and it causes much confusion with my partner as he does too but differently. Im from Yorkshire and yell oy as a telling off when he's biting his nails. He's from a very Jewy background and uses oy in rather a 'heaven help me' kind of way.

Really,really,really makes me laugh when someones trying to sound really intelligent when having an argument with you,and they`ll put a H where there isnt supposed to be one.

for instance: You said my appointment would only last (h)one `our!! Im not (h)arguining with you.............

hahaha,idiots!!

love this thread, but I am guilty of alot of the previous posts,I say darl alot, not to clients, only friends and family,short for darling obviously.And I hate myself when I type, I put too many LOL`s, who the hell lol`s like that in real life? Lol!!

oh, and I say out, as in, i will say "I ant got out" which means I dont have anything, think alot of it comes from your location?

Kate x

Well I probably annoy most of you then :lol:

My biggest pet hate is when people say pacificly when the word is SPECIFICALLY! Drives me absolutely potty!

Other than that I'm pretty easy going, each to their own. I love it when my Irish relatives use the word like.... it sounds (as my brother in law would say) deadly! In fact I love accent and regional quirks..... makes us all different and interesting but maybe that's not so much 'not talking properly like' more regional accents and ism's.

There are soooo many I don't know where to start!

My current bugbear is the confusion between e.g. and i.e. They are not interchangeable and I really wish that people would use them correctly!

I hate hearing the TH fronting. This is saying "v" instead of "th", which is sometimes a dialect thing, sometimes habitual and sometimes anatomical. I have sympathy if the last one and utter derision if either of the other two. It's not endearing, or amusing, it's just bloody annoying!

It's and its. Again, not interchangeable, admittedly confusing at times, but worth learning.

Pacific/specific.
Secutary instead of secretary.
Innit - there is never a reason to use this, innit!
Ya know what I mean. When people say this to me I deliberately say either, yes I do know what you mean, or no, I have no clue what you mean. It annoys them probably as much as they annoy me, so we're quits.
I done, instead of I did, etc.

Ect/etc. One is a ghastly form of treatment for severe psychiatric conditions, one is an abbreviation for the Latin word Etcetera, meaning "and other things". Do try not to muddle them.

I do know that for some people they believe it's not important, but I believe that being correct in your use of language is, to avoid misunderstandings and out of respect for the person listening.

And for those of you who think that capitalisation etc isn't important bear this in mind. It's the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse and helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

:)

Oh,and another I absoloutely hate is when people say 150%, what?? surely they can only be 100% of anything?
Im 150% sure..........

Oh dear, if only we were all so perfect! If ever we all meet each other in person we will be so terrified to speak, in case we have an accent or use words incorrectly LOL.

And for those of you who think that capitalisation etc isn't important bear this in mind. It's the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse and helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

:)

Oh Lynne, I love this! Made me laugh so much!

The worse one for me has got to be AsdaS, TescoS, MaplinS....these drive me mad! Do you see an S on the end of the signs....didn't think so! (for example 'I'm just going to AsdaS')

And 'that'll learn ya'

Hope I haven't insulted anyone... x

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Oh Lynne, I love this! Made me laugh so much!

The worse one for me has got to be AsdaS, TescoS, MaplinS....these drive me mad! Do you see an S on the end of the signs....didn't think so! (for example 'I'm just going to AsdaS')

And 'that'll learn ya'

Hope I haven't insulted anyone... x

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Morrison is Morrisons though so i can say im going up Morrisons.
Thats another strange thing with language why do you go up somewhere or down somwhere or just to.
I go to the shops,up Morrisons and down the town and there are no hills involved.

I am afraid i use all of these irratating traits.

Im from the midlands but speak with a semi cockney accent. I use V instead of th.

A common Leicester trait is to drop aitches eg, 'ello 'have you 'ad any 'oney n your 'am sandwich.

I dont say bokkle, likklem hospikkle, kekkle though and that does bug me.

Up until the age of 10 i spoke properly ubtil i was ripped to bits at big school by others and quickly learnt to talk common to fit in. My own husband takes the P out of how i talk but the thing is Im not thick and people shouldnt judge someone just beacuse the speak inncorectly.

Sometimes for fun i revert back to speaking how i did and should talk up until the age of 10 and people think im a snobby cow. You cant win

All these things bug me too but I can be more forgiving of the differences in speech (colloquilisms don't bug me so much as they are just naturally occurring regional differences) but why people have to write things the way they say them is beyond me, there is only one English language and can be looked up in the dictionary. When slang is used instead it becomes unintelligible and untranslatable. It's not being a snob, it's having standards! Isn't the point of language to make sure you are understood? I would say it's fine to speak slang with your friends but you need to know the correct spelling and grammar to communicate to a wider audience and to suceed in business situations.

Last edited:
I'm scared to talk now:Scared: I think if people are just being plain lazy then it is irritating. If people simply cannot spell or have poor grammar due low intelligence, not having an interest in school etc. then what more can they do if they are trying their best?

This made me :lol: - I'm often the one that jumps in with the 'it gets dark'! :wink2: Love this thread. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Or "We all go home"

I'm scared to talk now:Scared: I think if people are just being plain lazy then it is irritating. If people simply cannot spell or have poor grammar due low intelligence, not having an interest in school etc. then what more can they do if they are trying their best?

I see your point :hug: I still can't help cringing.

i have a very intelligent friend who says "innit" all the time. Every time he does it in front of me I say it back to him "innit" and he realises what hes done. I said to him that he actually comes out with intelligent sentences then says "innit" which ruins it!!!

Also have a friend who instead of saying "the" says "dee"....???????

I am bad for saying a lot of "likes" but I hate it so much!

I don't get irritated by it but I always notice "we was"........
On the whole though, I'd prefer an interesting conversation with someone who may make grammatical errors, to one with someone who make speak BBC English but who has nothing of note to say.

I have a few things that irritate me!
I hate being called hun, it drives me mad.
When someone say 'Can you borrow me some of them?' :mad:
When people say 'Air on the side of caution' instead of 'Err on the side of caution.
When someone says ' I learnt her how to do it'.
Could of, would of, should of. No, it's could have, would have and should have.
When people say 'Am ya?' I think that's probably a dialect thing but it still drives me nuts!
I'm sure there's more but that will do for now :)

Latest posts

Back