Not very busy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francesXXX

Reaction score
Is anyone else noticing a steep decline in business this last month or two?! Like since early September? I had a big rush of clients right after lockdown where I saw literally every one of my clients throughout July and August, they were fighting for appointments and now my column is dead. Just wanted to see if this is happening to anyone else! I keep thinking it will pick up again soon but it doesn’t seem to be! I’m getting concerned. They’ve all disappeared!

Yes, I posted in another thread that I'd worked out my bookings are down by about 70%, and with extras like PPE, extra clean time and clients down grading their actual requirements I'm taking about 25% of my normal takings for the same periods ladt year and 2018.

Same here. I have had to take a couple of weeks off sick so will be pretty busy on my return but it’s definitely so much quieter than other years. Most clients would be booked in for Xmas by now but I only have 2 booked in so far.

Yup, me too. Very slow and very quiet. No idea what will happen at Christmas, but don’t think it will be good, unfortunately. Am reducing my days now. I know others are too.

I'm at home on a Friday afternoon! That was once my longest opening day 😕

It’s very worrying. This is my 31st year in business and I’ve never had such a quiet period . Like most there was a rush after lockdown but it’s slowly getting quieter. I’m reducing to 3.5 days a week from now till December. Must admit December is looking a bit more promising but usually by now I would be booked out for it and adding on extra hours. Seems to be a combination of :

some people not leaving the house much at all to protect themselves .

no events, holidays or celebrations to spruce up for .

people not bothering to smarten up for work because they are at
home.

On top of that and the biggest reason for my vacant appointments is not being able to do facial treatments or prolonged eye treatments at all so far (Scotland) .

All of these situations are perfectly understandable but it’s not looking good for the near future for out industry. I feel lucky to be near the end of my career and I’m very sorry for therapists with new businesses and those with Young families ,mortgages and other debts.

All that said I’m seeing a worry trend of offers and big discounts.This won’t help our recovery after all the Covid safety expenses we’ve had and the big reduction in revenue. The industry could end up hugely devalued by the public and affect their expectations in the future after Covid .

wishing you all good luck 🤞

I'm finding I'm either rushed off my feet or ridiculously quiet. No one is rushing to book all the extras that they normally would for Christmas as no one is doing anything or going anywhere and a few have said they're wondering whether we'll be in full lockdown so is it worth booking.
I agree that doing huge discounts and offers like some places are is not helping the situation. We've already got extra costs and if people then start cutting prices it just makes it not cost effective to do some treatments.
I don't know what the answer is though

I'm finding I'm either rushed off my feet or ridiculously quiet. No one is rushing to book all the extras that they normally would for Christmas as no one is doing anything or going anywhere and a few have said they're wondering whether we'll be in full lockdown so is it worth booking.
I agree that doing huge discounts and offers like some places are is not helping the situation. We've already got extra costs and if people then start cutting prices it just makes it not cost effective to do some treatments.
I don't know what the answer is though
I also think there’s a lot of clients that think we will be in lockdown by then too or, depending where you are in the country, they are so confused by the tiers & rules that they think we can’t open.
It’s difficult with the discounts & promotions. It might bring some new clients in but when the promos finish they will disappear & will be back where you started. I would also think you would be working twice as hard for the same money you would get for working less hours. I guess discounts should only be used as a last resort.
Good luck everyone 😊

Sooo quiet at the moment, everyone is tightening their belt and in my area it seems everyone has done a lash course over lockdown. They are offering them for ridiculous prices and to be honest some of them look pretty good. I know the old adage that they won’t last or they’ll be stuck together etc but people aren’t going out so they’re not plastering make up on them or getting drunk and rubbing them so they will last longer than usual. I can’t bear the thought of slashing my prices as the service is devalued enough already but I’m struggling to compete with these back room bandits 😬

Sooo quiet at the moment, everyone is tightening their belt and in my area it seems everyone has done a lash course over lockdown. They are offering them for ridiculous prices and to be honest some of them look pretty good. I know the old adage that they won’t last or they’ll be stuck together etc but people aren’t going out so they’re not plastering make up on them or getting drunk and rubbing them so they will last longer than usual. I can’t bear the thought of slashing my prices as the service is devalued enough already but I’m struggling to compete with these back room bandits 😬
My niece owns a salon that is 90% lashes and she said her takings are down by about 60% from this time last year. It's so sad when she's built up a fantastic business and spent a lot of time and money on training to hear about all of these individuals doing a one day online training course and setting up in business, a lot of which were working all through lockdown. She stuck to the rules and only opened when told she could but said she saw a few of her regulars on Facebook asking if anyone knew where they could get their lashes done during lockdown. So hard when you're doing the right thing and others aren't.

My weeks are up and down. Some weeks are busier than others and I'm thinking it's because there was a big rush on in the first two weeks of July, and all the colours and perms were done then, so they're almost in synch with each other now. I have my regulars which keep me going and it was so good to see them again. But it's quiet sometimes. I do have clients booking in for Christmas though. Although everyone agrees that we don't know what will be happening by then. I've never done offers (in 32 yrs), but this year I've decided not to increase my prices in Nov like I usually do. A lot of my regulars are elderly (I've gown up with them) and I know they're worried about prices going up on things in general. It's a gesture of showing my appreciation to them for years of loyalty and solidarity at this time. I think the closer we get to Christmas the more we'll see bookings. People are creatures of habit, so even if they're not going out, they'll want to still look and feel good. Fingers crossed anyway and best of luck x

Me too...I’m so quiet it’s worrying. Clients too scared, less money, no where to go to look glam for...
I doubt our Christmas business will pick up with the rates rising either😔x

Last week was so quiet but this week seems busier!!
I was quite low about it all and contacted a few clients I haven’t seen since March( I made sure I txted and phoned them all throughout lockdown), they replied with the same answer that once things are better they would get back in touch but for now are nervous.It’s such a horrible feeling but I think we will all have to ride the storm and hopefully 🙏 things will get back to normal in the future.

I’m exactly the same, I was getting very low about it😔as you say I think we need to try and ride the storm and pray things get better sooner rather than later x

Last edited:
In exactly the same, I was getting very low about it😔as you say I think we need to try and ride the storm and pray things get better sooner rather than later x
In exactly the same, I was getting very low about it😔as you say I think we need to try and ride the storm and pray things get better sooner rather than later x

I am sure they will!! ❤️

Thank you for your words everyone, I felt very alone with it as I know other stylists who are telling me they’re all busy. They might not be telling the truth, but either way it was making me feel like it was me!! And then you start questioning how good you are at your job etc. Fingers crossed for us all xx

Thank you for your words everyone, I felt very alone with it as I know other stylists who are telling me they’re all busy. They might not be telling the truth, but either way it was making me feel like it was me!! And then you start questioning how good you are at your job etc. Fingers crossed for us all xx
Omg totally started to do the same!! And also started to feel paranoid that I had done something at our last appointment 🤦‍♀️

Latest posts

Back