Nothing ventured nothing gained!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzi1234b

Reaction score
Hi all

I am new to the site and first of all would like to say hi!
Secondly I would like to ask some advice and I would be very grateful for some honest opinions.

I am currently a drug worker for the nhs and earn approx £21000 per year.

I have trained in Auricular detox acupuncture
Cosmetic facial enhancement acupuncture
Hot stone massage
Aromatherapy
Tibetan Acupressure head massage
Reiki
Hopi Ear Candles
Fibreglass nails

I am so fed up with my job and have always been drawn to beauty and holistics, my dilema is... how do i break away from the security of the job i dont like to work in a field I am more passionate about?

I am a single parent of 3 boys also.

I have found a property to rent which is in a rural location but on a busy main road between a city and a large town. It has 3 large rooms which could be treatment rooms a small kitchen and a small toilet/wash room.
It has a carpark which is shared with a couple of cottages and upstairs offices. It overlooks fields at the back.

There is a hair dressers and beauty salon a couple of miles away but nothing else oh and its across from a pub/resturant. In the area also there is a large michelin star restaurant, it seems quite an affluent area.

My dilema is ....

1. Do I lease this building at £100 per week and rent out 2 rooms and give up my job?
2. Do I lease these rooms at £100 per week, keep my job and rent all 3 rooms out?
3. Do I lease the rooms at £100 per week go part time at work and rent 2 rooms out?

Or do I just forget about these lovely rooms in such a tranquil environment?

Please help... my current job is likely to give me a nervous breakdown!! lol

Hi hunni

I'm prob not the best person right now to give you good advice, as I'm in a similar kind of dilemma too. I have opened a nail salon over last few weeks, but have also kept on my job in a building society for 2.5 days a week, just for some financial security.
However...I'm now seriously considering giving up my job, as I really feel I should be at my salon all the time. I just know I can't give both jobs my full attention and commitment.

All I prob would say is I have been on one hell of a rollercoaster getting this far - it has also been a long process, and I rented a room last year which turned out to be not quite right. I think you should go with your instincts, and if you feel keeping your job but giving beauty a go then go for it. Or maybe you could go mobile or rent a room on a casual basis before jumping in and renting the whole premises? I rented a room last year on an as-and-when basis, and whilst it wasn't right in the end and didn't work out, it did really give me the bug and led me to where I am now.

Sorry if I'm not much help...I know how you feel though!

C x

Hiya,

I think the main problem is that you are relying heavily on sub letting 2 or more rooms out. Even in city centre salons it's very difficult to find reliable therapists.

I also believe that you should have the, potential, ability to support your business on your own and then any sub letting should be a bonus and not a necessity. Also, very importantly, some leases do not allow sub letting!

Other things to look into are.. Do you know if you have planning permission to offer your services. How long is the lease? Does the rent have VAT added? etc

jes

Hi
Thanks to both of you for your advice.
The lease is over 3 years and sub-letting is allowed
They will negotiate 8 weeks rent free and break points during the set up period, so far I havent checked with planning.
Thanks
Susan

I'm in a similar situation, too. I don't like my job, but have to stick with it for fianancial reasons. My husband has his own busines but it is not doing too go, what with the recession, etc, so we have to rely on my salary to pay the mortgage and bills.

Once I'm qualified, I'm starting off from home on a part time basis, and will see how it goes.

The only advice I can offer is that in life, you only regret the things you didn't do.

Perhaps you should look for smaller premises, or start off from home. Could you go into partnership with someone else? Also, do you have set-up finance for the rent, stock, advertising, etc?

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

Hi Dawn
I appreciate your advice, I would definately start from home if I had space to set up a treatment room but unfortunately i havent. I am considering getting a part time job and maybe going mobile on the other days?
I wish i could find a partner. i would even go and work for someone else in a salon or spa but i feel my qualifications are such a mish mash

Susan x

Latest posts

Back