Notice period

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollyw

Reaction score
I’m leaving the salon I work in, I’m part time but self employed. What do you think would be an adequate notice period barring in mind I’m paid weekly.

Any advice helps. Thank you

How can you be paid when you're self-employed? You should be taking your own money.

How can you be paid when you're self-employed? You should be taking your own money.

By paid, I mean I earn commission and every week she pays my share after working out what I’ve taken.

I should add that we have agreed the days and times I’m there and she provides all my products and dictates my prices. I sometimes feel self employed and other times I don’t.

I also don’t have a written or signed contract.

Last edited:
By paid, I mean I earn commission and every week she pays my share after working out what I’ve taken.

I should add that we have agreed the days and times I’m there and she provides all my products and dictates my prices. I sometimes feel self employed and other times I don’t.

I also don’t have a written or signed contract.
A few things for future reference;

You should be taking your own money and paying her the commission at the end of the week.
She can't dictate your times/days or prices.
You should have a contract.

You haven't mentioned but you should also be taking your own payments, handling your own appointments and keeping hold of your own clients record cards or you're breaching data protection.

To answer your question, it's up to you how you handle it with no contract. Mutually agree a leaving period or take your money for the week and tell her you won't be back. There is nothing she can do without a contract but she may bad mouth you etc.

A few things for future reference;

You should be taking your own money and paying her the commission at the end of the week.
She can't dictate your times/days or prices.
You should have a contract.

You haven't mentioned but you should also be taking your own payments, handling your own appointments and keeping hold of your own clients record cards or you're breaching data protection.

To answer your question, it's up to you how you handle it with no contract. Mutually agree a leaving period or take your money for the week and tell her you won't be back. There is nothing she can do without a contract but she may bad mouth you etc.

After reading a few other posts on here I now realise how the commission should go. I have tried to say about the prices but it gets shot down time and time again.

I do make appointments for my clients, but being part time she also makes them if someone rings up or comes in when I’m not there. The money from the treatments I provide goes in the salons till and is all cashed up at the end of the day with my receipts being proof of work.

When it comes to the client record cards, some clients are shared so does that mean I should have my own record cards regardless? Also, how do I go about telling my clients I’ve made for myself whilst being there that I’m leaving? Or about the clients already booked in advanced?

I know she will bad mouth me regardless of whether I give her notice or if I leave, but if I do leave I’m worried she won’t pay me for the week I’ve just done. So my pay goes -

Work - thur 13/6, fri 14/6, sat 15/6
Paid - sun 16/6

Thank you so much for the advice you’ve already given!

You'll be classed as a "worker" for the employment that you're leaving. You are not running your own business. You are contracting your labour to someone else's business. You don't own the clients and don't have the right to their information. You can tell your clients you are leaving and give them a business card but that's about it.

You need to give a week's notice. She can ask you to leave immediately but she'll need to pay you off at your usual wage for the week. She has to pay you at least minimum wage for one week, plus you are entitled to holiday pay etc.

You can see a solicitor for advice if you haven't earnt minimum wage including holiday pay.

It sounds more like like a sham employment situation and she ought to be paying you minimum wages plus holiday, sick pay etc.
In your situation, I’d just leave giving a week’s notice at most.
I’d take the clients details and contact them directly or start advertising your services via social media, tagging in any clients that you can find online.

It sounds more like like a sham employment situation and she ought to be paying you minimum wages plus holiday, sick pay etc.
In your situation, I’d just leave giving a week’s notice at most.
I’d take the clients details and contact them directly or start advertising your services via social media, tagging in any clients that you can find online.

Thank you for your advice!

Latest posts

Back