Now this is something I didn't know about card terminals!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlalouise

Reaction score
I've been on the phone this morning to the company I lease my card terminal from, it was Cardsave but has now gone to Worldpay. We were talking about the different percentages regarding debit / credit cards and I asked if there was a penalty for taking smaller amounts, say under £10 as there are a lot of business's that refuse small amounts or charge extra. Well the answer was "No", he then went on to tell me that it is against regulations for anyone who has a card terminal to enforce a minimum payment and if caught they would first get a letter telling them to stop and there after if they carried on the terminal would be taken away!!!

Who knew this? I certainly didn't, I wish I had asked about companies that charge extra for using a credit card.

I've been on the phone this morning to the company I lease my card terminal from, it was Cardsave but has now gone to Worldpay. We were talking about the different percentages regarding debit / credit cards and I asked if there was a penalty for taking smaller amounts, say under £10 as there are a lot of business's that refuse small amounts or charge extra. Well the answer was "No", he then went on to tell me that it is against regulations for anyone who has a card terminal to enforce a minimum payment and if caught they would first get a letter telling them to stop and there after if they carried on the terminal would be taken away!!!

Who knew this? I certainly didn't, I wish I had asked about companies that charge extra for using a credit card.

How strange - But is that just their particular brand of terminal?

Charging extra for using a card isn't illegal. Like you say, minimum spend in theory is but thing is nothing will ever change. I can't imagine a shop taking thousands per month, paying a decent chunk in transaction fees having there terminal taken away. It would be counterproductive to the terminal company.

some companies take a percentage but some charge a flat rate for use of debit card. So if your buying something for a few pounds and they're taking 50p off that obviously cuts into profits greatly. I think this has changed lately as there is no laser cards any more they are all turning into visa debit and other credit cards so a percentage would be taken and not a flat fee so it shouldn't matter if the client pays cash or card :)

Charging extra for using a card isn't illegal. Like you say, minimum spend in theory is but thing is nothing will ever change. I can't imagine a shop taking thousands per month, paying a decent chunk in transaction fees having there terminal taken away. It would be counterproductive to the terminal company.
Absolutely, I can't imagine they would police it that closely, I was just surprised that it was against regulations.

Is it not the same as shops that 'refuse' to take £50 notes as they are commonly faked? Something they probably shouldn't enforce, but isn't that greatly policed so it happens.

I imagine its more to do with the % fee taken from a small amount dosn't leave them with much afterwards, which I can fully understand. xx

Latest posts

Back