NSI doesn’t like me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alison Pilkington-Child

Reaction score
So, I’m a novice at this so there are bound to be problems but this one I just can’t figure.

Three attempt with nsi on my own nails.... dryer and dryer mixes yet still it won’t set. Tried double primer and a warmer atmosphere but still no joy. Any other system works fine but not this one-it turns to a jelly that just peels off.

Any ideas?

Where did you buy your products?

It' virtually impossible for L&P not to cure, it may crystalise or crumble but never heard of it remaining like jelly. I suspect contaminated products, unless you purchased them from an authorised distributor you can't be sure what is in the bottle/pot

Where did you buy your products?

It' virtually impossible for L&P not to cure, it may crystalise or crumble but never heard of it remaining like jelly. I suspect contaminated products, unless you purchased them from an authorised distributor you can't be sure what is in the bottle/pot

It’s a kit supplied to me by college. Everyone else seems to be fine with it. I ended up using some Naio products I have at home to sort out the mess, which went on and set no problem.

I know people rate NSI highly but this experience has really put me off it. I just can’t think what else to try with it. Today I’ll put it on a pop stick to see what it does. Then at least I’ll know if it’s some weird chemical reaction to do with my nails. I prepped them very thoroughly but it just won’t adhere or set.

I use nsi, never had it turn to jelly. It goes to crystals when it's cold.

It’s a kit supplied to me by college. Everyone else seems to be fine with it. I ended up using some Naio products I have at home to sort out the mess, which went on and set no problem.

I know people rate NSI highly but this experience has really put me off it. I just can’t think what else to try with it. Today I’ll put it on a pop stick to see what it does. Then at least I’ll know if it’s some weird chemical reaction to do with my nails. I prepped them very thoroughly but it just won’t adhere or set.

Check the bottles to ensure you're using the right liquid. In training I got so excited I tried to soak off Gel Polish with soapy water, took me a good hour and lots of tears of frustration before I realised :p

Last edited:
Check the bottlestatus to ensure you're using the right liquid. In training I got so excited I tried to soak off Gel Polish with soapy water, took me a good hour and lots of tears of frustration before I realised :p

Ah no, I’m def using the monomer, no mistaking it!
One thing crossed my mind though. At college I shared a tiny manicure table with two others, it was pretty crowded with stuff everywhere. If another student had been daft enough to pour their contaminated monomer back into a bottle, which then somehow ended up in my kit, could that explain it?

Ah no, I’m def using the monomer, no mistaking it!
One thing crossed my mind though. At college I shared a tiny manicure table with two others, it was pretty crowded with stuff everywhere. If another student had been daft enough to pour their contaminated monomer back into a bottle, which then somehow ended up in my kit, could that explain it?

Unlikely, monomer is monomer, it could only be contaminated with bits of polymer which might make it cloudy, doing it repeatedly would cause issues but not a one off. Unless they put acetone in the bottle by mistake?

Unlikely, monomer is monomer, it could only be contaminated with bits of polymer which might make it cloudy, doing it repeatedly would cause issues but not a one off. Unless they put acetone in the bottle by mistake?

Ah, I see, thanks for explaining that, I wasn’t sure what that would do.

Meanwhile I have contacted college and described my problem to them. They have no explanation either and are going to get a new set from NSI for me. :)

Till then I can use the Naio kit, so all is well but I would still be fascinated to know what could have caused it for future reference.

I once confused my bottles and tried to sculpt with acetone... just like you it went jelly-like and wouldn’t set.
It’s probably that.

Slightly different but I had an issue with my fibreglass in training. It went on fine but all on my course had complaints from our models that it was really painful and they all had them removed. One of the students kept one hand on her and after a week we could see that the product had actually pulled the sides of her nail up, her nails were almost flat. It was a product problem, so just made me think I wonder if they have supplied a dodgy batch of product??? X

I once confused my bottles and tried to sculpt with acetone... just like you it went jelly-like and wouldn’t set.
It’s probably that.

Haha! No, it’s definitly not that! ;);)

Slightly different but I had an issue with my fibreglass in training. It went on fine but all on my course had complaints from our models that it was really painful and they all had them removed. One of the students kept one hand on her and after a week we could see that the product had actually pulled the sides of her nail up, her nails were almost flat. It was a product problem, so just made me think I wonder if they have supplied a dodgy batch of product??? X

Gosh, I feel quite blessed now that all I have to worry about is a bit of jelly! I suspect it is a dodgy batch as the nail that the course tutor did was also soft when I took it off.

I had that happen when I first started.... I was trying to be frugal with monomer and pour it back in the bottle... took a couple of times, but then it stopped setting properly, took a while to work that out though. At least they are going to get you some replacement stuff, I’d be very careful where you leave your bottle of monomer in future (Prehaps pop it back in your kit bag) or mark yours in some way to make it obvious it’s yours?

I have worked with NSI for nearly 2 decades, I have also been fortunate enough to be part of the testing team for many products. I have never in all my years seen this happen unless the product was contaminated as already mentioned.
I would say that someone has accidentally contaminated your monomer bottle with something, possibly acetone.
I have seen/been given products to test that were apparently out of date to see how they performed compared to new products and again, I never saw a problem like this.
Another thought, are you using the same brush for every different system you are using? I know many people think that monomer is monomer, powder is powder etc but I can assure you that for the companies that make their own products, all these products are made to chemically work together, so when you add another brand, you can not guarantee that the system will work the same.
I once helped a new tech who tried many systems and after a couple of trials, things started to get slowly worse, I finally realised she was using the same brush for each system, so her brush was being used in many different chemical baths and this caused problems with the brush, I got her to use different brushes for each system she wanted to use, all her problems vanished straight away.
I say this story to help with understanding that every system is different (providing it's a system made by the company itself and not a mass produced system that can be bought and then anybody can put their name to it) and it's always best to use every item incl brush from that system to get best results.

Get a new set of products, get a new brush and make sure you only use these products together and I think all your problems will be solved. I will be very surprised if they are not.

Just a quick update. It turns out that NSI have had a bad batch of products and will replace without question should you encounter this problem yourself. If you’ve recently made a purchase make sure you test it to see if it’s ok.

Just a quick update. It turns out that NSI have had a bad batch of products and will replace without question should you encounter this problem yourself. If you’ve recently made a purchase make sure you test it to see if it’s ok.

Strange that only you got a dodgy bottle out of all the kits supplied by the college

No, there were quite a few others too.

Latest posts

Back