NSS...possibly the worst rant yet!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie P

Reaction score
Now we all as professionals have our gripes with NSS but I think this may possibly be the worst to date. My 14 & 15 year old cousins had saved their money and wanted to go to get their nails done (I lecture too much about biting them off apparently). Their friends had their nails done in a NSS and they lasted 6 weeks and only cost £15 so against their mother's better judgement off they went:grr:

To cut a long story short the 'gent' doing their nails was 20 yrs old and seriously coming on to them. The girls were in tears by the time they got home.

The police got involved and both techs working are illegal immigrants, the 'gent' has previous convictions against him in relation to the incident.

It raises so many questions like how can we better monitor the industry? Could this be prevented? How many more men are there out there that use nails to meet young girls?

What are your thoughts geeks? xxx

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure what to say to this, but I am very glad you got the police involved, especially as you mention, there has been previous incidents with this man. I do hope your daughter and her friend are ok too.

I think the problem is, there are con-artists and non trained people in all industries, not just the beauty world and policing it is extremely difficult. It is a much bigger issue than any of us can deal with on here.

In terms of how we can help reduce the situation, I guess advicing people of the potential dangers and making them aware that the beauty industry is not exempt from the cons. I know the press are hot on the heals of this at the moment, there have been a few articles of late in national tabloid papers and so by us warning people too, it will start to help. I personally have all of my certificates and my other techs certs on show in the salon and many people do make a point of remarking on them - to which I then subtly say that there are many frauds out there and so whether they come to me or anyone else, certificates should be on show. I know this is not the case for all of us trained people and some have been in the industry for so long, finding your certificates may be a challenge, but it is something I feel helps - a little.

I think the best thing we can do, is help to raise awareness of the fraudsters by discussion with our clients and hopefully the police and other professional bodies will deal with the actual individuals themselves... although I am under no illusions that this will happen overnight unfortunately.

I hope your situation gets sorted and that the girls are ok now, xx

Sorry - just realised it was your cousins, not your daughter - opps!! My reply still stands though as they are young girls. x

Probably not what you wanna hear, but like air, there are perves everywhere. I think I'm a perve magnet cuz there I am minding my own business and a 30-40 year old dude comes up trying to groom me thinking I'm like 14 or 15. Supermarkets, shopping malls, tube station, Toys r Us, Game Stop, trying to get some chicken and rice at Nando's... doesn't matter where it is, they're there. And yes, some of them have jobs and use their occupation as a spot to groom and pick up girls. I'm very sorry to hear this happened, but this matter has more to do with adjusting sex offender/pedophile laws than salon regulations.

I'm very sorry to hear this happen but I agree with Chickafish.

This is a sex offender issue and its not really a problem in relation to salon regulation. These nasty people can be of any colour, nationality and occupation, it can happen anywhere.

The South East Asian nail community are already getting enough stick as it is and now suggesting they are sex offenders who use their job as 'weapon' to groom young girls is a little unfair.

Last edited:
When I was 14 I got chatted up on my way to school by a bin man who was 40years old.
Cant help where it happens! Just know it will!

I agree with everyone else, it's nothing to do with better monitoring, I know lots of male nail techs who are in the industry and certainly not to meet young girls but because they are passionate about nails and are truly professional.

Perverts, paedophiles etc come in all shapes and sizes,colours and nationalities and work in all kinds of jobs and don't have the word perve tattood on their forehead,mores the pity.

Maybe you should have done your cousins nails instead but seriously it's nothing to do with better monitoring of the industry. We can't focus on one trade simply because of one bad situation. Could've happened anywhere believe me.:eek:

Have to agree with the others that this is a sex offender issue, not a salon issue.
I was "groomed" when I worked in a Garden Centre!! I was 13 yrs old and a guy kept telling me how I had a nice butt and great Child bearing hips!!
As a teen I was always getting whistled and shouts from Builders as I walked past, Even the milk man had a thing for me! Not to even mention the local market Fihsmonger who told me every time I saw him How my eyes were dreamy and they were the most gorgeous eyes he'd ever seen.

Perv's and pedophiles are everywhere and in all walks of life, some are even the most unsuspecting of people.

I dont think this guys choose nails specifically to chat up young girls, no much more than a builder becomes a builder so he can whistle at passing women!

(although some do chose specific "careers" to access vulnerable young people)
xx

Well done to your cousins for getting the police involved. I was very shy as a teenager and I'm not sure I would've had the guts to do that.

I hope they know that by reporting him they have stopped other people from having similar experiences so all power to them.

I'm very sorry to hear this happen but I agree with Chickafish.

This is a sex offender issue and its not really a problem in relation to salon regulation. These nasty people can be of any colour, nationality and occupation, it can happen anywhere.

The South East Asian nail community are already getting enough stick as it is and now suggesting they are sex offenders who use their job as 'weapon' to groom young girls is a little unfair.

Thanks for your reply flower but as you can imagine I was very upset when their mum called me but not once did I say it was a South East Asian nail salon.

I totally agree with you its a sex offender issue but I was also thinking aloud (via geek) just how easily this occured. Both techs were illegal immigrants, previous criminal record, using acrylic containing mma and who knows if they were fully qualified or insured.

I'm also really shocked at their mother for allowing them to go alone. I normally do their nails but only for special occasions and only with a proper removal. At 14 & 15 I feel they are too young for regular enhancements.

Latest posts

Back