NSS removal tips and tricks needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alison Pilkington-Child

Reaction score
I’m getting a big run of ladies with NSS gel overlays which need to come off before I can sort their nails out... wonky tips, void pockets collecting dirt underneath etc... the last had hers so thin I didn’t dare de-bulk with an efile and yet it still took over an hour to get it off.
Acetone plumps it up and softens it but then it’s also super-super sticky. Then as the acetone evaporates (which it does quickly) it goes rock hard again and firmly attaches to whatever its in contact with. My clients fingers, my fingers, tools etc.

I’m currently soaking three times and rolling off what I can onto tissue to throw in the bin. Then lightly filing down any remaining lumps and residue as best I can.

If I’m just following up with gel polish I don’t have an option to leave much bulk there and work over the top of it. It looks a mess at the end.

Has anyone found a way of soaking this stuff off without a fight or do I just need to man up and consider using my efile more. I generally never think to use it near the natural nail but perhaps I’ll have to get used to the idea and go against my preferences somewhat.

If it's hard gel, it cannot be soaked off. I use only hard gels myself, and removal means I file it off with my e file, and switch to hand file closer to the nail. Acetone won't work on hard gel. I haven't had experience with nss gel personally, I have only had the misfortune of encountering NSS acrylic (I suspect it was MMA acrylic), and I feel your pain. I no longer remove nss nails because it gives me anxiety just thinking of removing the (probably) mma acrylic :eek: You will need to file it off if it's hard gel.

Thanks 7th-Heaven, it’s def not a hard gel as it responds to acetone but it just gets so gooey! I’m thinking you probably have the answer regardless tho. File it off. [emoji57]

I feel your pain..... horrid stuff.
Sorry I cant be of more help.
Good luck

Latest posts

Back