NSS Rescue. Did I do right?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellie

Reaction score
Just done the nails of a new client. She had been having her nails done at a reputable salon in London but they couldn't fit her in for a last minute repair. In desparation my client went to what she called 'the chinese shop' (her description, not mine!) in Oxford where she lives. She asked for the two nails to be repaired using gel. The 'tech' proceeded to remove all the enhancements and replaced the lot with L&P. I have never seen anything like the work done. Her nails had been filed so thinly that the nail beds were red!! I tried to dissaude her from having tips and just having gel overlay to protect the nails but she insisted they had to be long. Did I do right or should I have refused?

Hiya

I think it was a very difficult situation, however at least you know that if you have done them they will be ok now. I would have strongly advised a natural overlay as you did, but if the client insisted i would have advised that the enhancements would have to be short or she could end up with more damage to her natural nail!! I hope you had her sign a disclaimer saying that she was going against your advice!!

Hope it all turns out well.

Thanks Tracy,
yes i did get her to sign a disclaimer and she has booked for a rebalance so she must have been pleased with the nails. This site is excellent. Isn't it nice to know that we all have so much backup and friendly advice? Cheers. :)

Shellie said:
Just done the nails of a new client. She had been having her nails done at a reputable salon in London but they couldn't fit her in for a last minute repair. In desparation my client went to what she called 'the chinese shop' (her description, not mine!) in Oxford where she lives. She asked for the two nails to be repaired using gel. The 'tech' proceeded to remove all the enhancements and replaced the lot with L&P. I have never seen anything like the work done. Her nails had been filed so thinly that the nail beds were red!! I tried to dissaude her from having tips and just having gel overlay to protect the nails but she insisted they had to be long. Did I do right or should I have refused?

So are you saying that you removed the product that was applied in the non standard salon and replaced wtih a gel overlay?

Your question was did I do right? In my opinion, these nails sound like they had been traumatised enough and I personally wold not have removed the enhancements and if I had, gel would not have been the option I would have chosen for this client for the following reasons.

I would not want to soak off product from these very thin nails and have the client in soloution for the hours and hours it takes for MMA to be removed.

I would not have chosen gel because:
Most gels give off heat and on these thinned out nails I would have thought it would be painful.

Most gels shrink when curing and I would have been worried about onycholysis as thin nails plus product shrinkage = onycholysis.

What I would have done is to reshape and make the nails that had been applied look pretty, and then I would have painted them with french or colour and helped her to grow them out with regular rebalances.

I appreciate I was not there and did not see and don't know what gel you used ... you may have taken all these things into consideration, and for your own sound reasons decided to go ahead.

I am curious as to why she did not return to her reputable salon and have them do the work you did .. also as to exactly why she let another salon do a full set when she only wanted 2 repairs?? Not sure you got the full story here!

the standard procedure in a lot of salons that don't speak much or any english is to remove all the exsisting nails (with either drills or ripping product off with nippers :eek: ) & do a full set.
i've heard of this a few times now, one of our clients wanted a quick nail tidy ( buff up & re-paint), she couldn't get an immediate appointment with us so she booked into the new salon up the road.
she tried to explain that she wanted to have 1 repair, & have the pthers tidied & some airbrushing.
they proceded to remove all the product with a drill & some with nippers, & did a complete new set & airbrushed them.
this highlights a problem with the joe public, they feel uncomfortable about complaining or even that what the tech is doing is hurting them.
the language barrier is a problem, i dont think the staff have been trained to acknowledge that there r other options other than removing & replacing with a new set.
my daughters 10 yr old friend had the same experience at xmas. she was taken into a salon to have a full set of AIRBRUSHING not enhancements, but left the salon with a full set of nails with no after care advice!!!
luckily my daughter (aged 10 at the time) knows her stuff & told me to look at them!
i explained to her mum what had happened &she was horrified. she was ignorant of nail procedures & assumed that they understood what they had asked for.
i soaked off the little girls nails & apart from a few pink dents, they were ok.
i've lost count now how many clients we have gained as a salon from this kind of thing happening.
the sad thing is the people that sit in salons & experience pain & a serious lack of aftercare r none the wiser until someone tells them that this is NOT the norm.
so... back to the main subject of this post, only with patience & determination can we educate the media & the public that there r experienced, passionate & well educated nail tech's out there.
liza xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back