nvq 1 and 2 hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*JOANNE*

Reaction score
I am starting nvq1/2 as a mature student in september, and i am a tad nervous reguarding the accedemic/study side of it, any of you like me....older...i have not been in a full time studying environment scince 1991 when i was in the navy and i am just nervous about learning, again.
how did you girls find it starting school again after a 100 years of not being in the classroom again. Was it harder than you thought or did you cope just fine

hi Joanne, I have just completed my Level 2 and apart from those first day nerves, i can honestly say it was amazing!!Luckily for me, i hit it off with one of the girls on the first day and i now can proudly say she is one of my best friends. We were all nervy about 'going back to the classroom' but we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Our theory lessons were in the mornings, 2 days a week from 9-11 and for the afternoons. we would be in the salon. I am starting level 3 in september, depending on how i do on my trades test and exam this Tuesday.....
If yu have any questions feel free to give me a shout hun....:lol::lol::lol:

you will be fine hun , the science behind coloring used to get me a bit at first but everything else was fine , one tip i will give you though , make sure you just get in there and start doing it , otherwise it will be a nightmare , i can remember the first perm i did , i was c**pping myself :lol:

I'm sure you will be fine Joanne. :hug:

When I went to college to complete my City & Guilds in manicure I was convinced I'd be the oldest one there.....when in fact I was one of the younger ones:cool:. Due to the fact you want to complete this course and you have an interest in it, imo makes it easier. I'm sure you will fly through.x

Lou x

I have found that the older I get, the more studious I am. I think you will be ok doing this Joanne.
Good for you and let us know how you are getting along with it.

i really cannot wait, un benkown to me pmsl the mature students are from 19 upwards and moi being 35 is about 13 years older than the other girls who have enrolled with me last thursday, i am alot more disciplined than i was when i was younger so hopefully that will stand me in good stead.....i cannot wait , i have my kit list and uniform list kids all booked into after school....just wish september would hurry up lol
thanks girls :hug:
lisa hun...you wish you hadnt offered hun...i will bombard you with questions :hug:

lol, I'll be all ears hunxxxx

i find i learn more and pick things up better now im older because im there because i WANT to learn x

i find i learn more and pick things up better now im older because im there because i WANT to learn x

Exactly you do it because you want to as you've chosen what to do instead of having to do it!!! I hated school with a passion, but loved going back to college as a mature student!! Think I've become a course junky though as keeping saying that's it but find myself missing it & wanting to do more!! Drives hubby mad!! Good job he loves me!!!:):Grope:

hi i was a mature student my fear when starting was being in a class of youngens but i was ok i finished level one and two they split the different ages into differnt groups
just take in your stride you be ok they will help you if you get stuck
good luck level one you assist the 2 years then when you do level 2 your set free while teachers look on in case you need help dee

hi i was a mature student my fear when starting was being in a class of youngens but i was ok i finished level one and two they split the different ages into differnt groups
just take in your stride you be ok they will help you if you get stuck
good luck level one you assist the 2 years then when you do level 2 your set free while teachers look on in case you need help dee

5 weeks to go, both nervous and excited. ordered my kit and uniform...

I am starting nvq1/2 as a mature student in september, and i am a tad nervous reguarding the accedemic/study side of it, any of you like me....older...i have not been in a full time studying environment scince 1991 when i was in the navy and i am just nervous about learning, again.
how did you girls find it starting school again after a 100 years of not being in the classroom again. Was it harder than you thought or did you cope just fine

Hello my lovely! I'm starting the hairdressing NVQ 1/2 in september too, only I'm doing the evening class as I need to keep working full time. So I'm thinking maybe we'll be asking similar questions at times:green:, and by the way, I'm 37 so you're just a baby love.

I will tell you though, I studied on a make up artist course in 2003-2004 full time at college and had those same fears you are having. It turned out I wasn't the oldest - I was second oldest! Most girls were 16-19, there were 2 in their mid 20's, me at 33, and another lady who was 50! Us 4 oldest ended up hanging out together, going out, and 1 of the girls I would say is still about my best friend, we go out clubbing regularly:green:. I'm still in touch with the other younger of the group, unfortunately the lady who was 50 suffered cancer last year and died, but I am so glad I met her and could call her my friend, she was so young minded and confident, and so much fun.

However I digress. My point is, After the first day, I really did enjoy that college experience, every time I hear "Heya" by Outcast, I'm reminded of the coach trip to the clothes show! It made me feel much younger than I did before the course, in fact I still feel that way!

I'm sure you will love it too, but be warned, Marilyn and I were voted as class rep and class rep assistant, strange they picked the two oldest, maybe they thought we would be more sensible - silly girls:wink2:

Hello my lovely! I'm starting the hairdressing NVQ 1/2 in september too, only I'm doing the evening class as I need to keep working full time. So I'm thinking maybe we'll be asking similar questions at times:green:, and by the way, I'm 37 so you're just a baby love.

I will tell you though, I studied on a make up artist course in 2003-2004 full time at college and had those same fears you are having. It turned out I wasn't the oldest - I was second oldest! Most girls were 16-19, there were 2 in their mid 20's, me at 33, and another lady who was 50! Us 4 oldest ended up hanging out together, going out, and 1 of the girls I would say is still about my best friend, we go out clubbing regularly:green:. I'm still in touch with the other younger of the group, unfortunately the lady who was 50 suffered cancer last year and died, but I am so glad I met her and could call her my friend, she was so young minded and confident, and so much fun.

However I digress. My point is, After the first day, I really did enjoy that college experience, every time I hear "Heya" by Outcast, I'm reminded of the coach trip to the clothes show! It made me feel much younger than I did before the course, in fact I still feel that way!

I'm sure you will love it too, but be warned, Marilyn and I were voted as class rep and class rep assistant, strange they picked the two oldest, maybe they thought we would be more sensible - silly girls:wink2:

peeps dont realise us over 30 birds are the worst :lol::lol:

jo, whats your uniform like? mine is naff!!!!
im soo scared about starting my course in sept
i dont want to be the only one over the age of 16( by a lot of years!!!)

Latest posts

Back