NVQ 3-is it worth doing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahpoppy24

Reaction score
Hey its coming round to the time to apply for cources at my college has anyone done their NVQ 3 or does it not realy teach you anything new?Thanks:)

NVQ3 in what hun? Nails or Beauty.
Any course is worth doing if you will learn more skills, get more confident and be able to offer more services to your clients!:)

Hair!! Been pondering over it..think im going to apply. Does anyone know offhand what areas it covers?:)

Hair!! Been pondering over it..think im going to apply. Does anyone know offhand what areas it covers?:)

Aha, sorry I dont know much about hair qualifications. However, with experience of doing level 2 beauty followed by level 3, it completely changed my life - in terms of skill, job applications and experience....

Why not check out your local college to see what they offer as colleges to slightly vary?

Hi Sarah Poppy , I have done NVQ level three plus the Assessor units
I would say if you want to learn a bit more about Business studies , health and safety issues and advanced Hair colouring , or if you want to be an Assessor or teach in the future , then it would be worth your while,

there is an awful lot of paper work involved which is very time consuming ,
but you also get to do a fashion show and photo shoots,
I took the teaching unit , to go with my Assessors units ,
but you can choose your optional units, hope this helps :hug: minky x

I have recently been talking to a couple of experienced hairdressers and they both said that it could be very difficult to get a hairdressing job without level 3, as level 2 wouldn't be indepth enough for most these days.

Just wondering what hair geeks would make of this opinion?

I have recently been talking to a couple of experienced hairdressers and they both said that it could be very difficult to get a hairdressing job without level 3, as level 2 wouldn't be in depth enough for most these days.

Just wondering what hair geeks would make of this opinion?

the tutors where talking about this and they say too that no-one will take on unless you have done level 3 in the very very near future also there is talk and one of the tutors was saying they are bringing in a level 4......more management based than practical and that its going to be a bit of a pain as most tutors will have to do their level 4 to be able to teach it...but thats a little way off yet....
personally for me i want to go on after completed level 2 to do my level 3.....i suppose at my age, its best to get it under my belt to be employable and earn a decent hourly rate as apposed to being level 2 (junior) and earning less per hour than a senior stylist (level 3)
plus level 3 teaches you colour correction, different perming techniques, hair extensions, and hair relaxing......and these days seems that these services arent few and far between but more necessary

i also want to do my level 3 as i want to open my own salon next year ( i have ten years xp salon based ). The salon i previously worked in wasnt interested in me doing level 3 and gave no support, so i left and now i am freelance to try and build up a client base . I would like to to the course but i think i will have to pay ,and it seems like a lot of money - but im sure the assesssers award will come in useful later .
i wish i had done it when i was younger if you have the money and oppoortunity you would be silly not to .

Hi, I honestly think that if you are a good little hairdresser it doesn't really matter if you are a level 2 or 3 ,

what matters the most is pleny of hairdressing experience in all areas , improving all your weak points and know how ,
and also keeping your CPD (continual professional development ) hairdressing points up to date,

in terms of hairdressing skills Ive seen plenty of level 2 ladies who are fabulous hairdressers and some are even more up to date than some level threes ,
you can always just do an advanced colouring course or colour correction units in your local college or on a private course and it all counts towards your CPD points

Any qualified very experienced hairdreser or a beauty professional can train others on a private course or basis .
A lot of these courses are of very high standards and a bonus is that you get more individual attention and one to one teaching .

You only need Assesors and teachers qualifications if you are going to teach NVQs or assess NVQs at colleges who teach and assess according to NVQ levels according to the standards set by Habia and City & Guilds .

you could just keep up all your CPD (continual professional developement )
which is now as professionals our own responsibility and an important requirement within the industry.

They do loads of these CPD type of courses in salons direct and in private salons , even Wella do free product update courses all over the country,
just give them a ring ,

a lot of in house training in your own salon can be counted towards your CPD hours , so dont forget to add them all in , :hug: hth minky x

I started my level 3 not long ago and I dont think its that useful to be honest. I already knew most of what you learn in level 3 but as a few people have said it will be difficult to get a job without a nvq3 so it really is worth it.

I have a stylist doing level 3 with Ultra Training in Bodmin, all assessing and work is done at the salon and the assessor comes to us no probs! But yes you really do need it for the future PX

i did my level 3 and am so glad i did as it taught me that little bit extra, and also the fact it does make you a senior stylist. i enjoy doing the work, so am trying to get as many qualifications as poss, i hope they do bring a level 4 out!

hi i am at present doing my level 3 hair and i have realy enjoyed it. it covers show work and up dose, colour correction, advanced perming advanced cutting competition work, classic current and emerging looks. there are also different moduels that different collages do my collage coverd hair extentions but yours might do afro carabian hair, extentions and there was another choise but cant remember of hand i do belive it is worth doing. hope this helps.

there is a level 4 but this covers salon managment and the next level after that is teching hairdressing.

Dear Salon Geek readers

Level 3 NVQ/SVQ is the sign of a fully competent and qualified hair professional in the UK. For your interest, the National Occupational Standards for Level 3 Nail Services can be found on the Habia website under ‘downloads’, or by clicking here. All documents are PDFs and are free to download.

National Occupational Standards for hair, beauty, nails , spa, barbering and African Type hair are also available to view on the Habia website – click here.

Habia

many thanks habia xxxx

Latest posts

Back