NVQ 3 - is it worth it and how does it work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_kayla_x

Reaction score
Hi All

Apologies for my ignorance on this subject. When i went into hairdressing i had every intention of completing my level 3, however my training provider highly discouraged us as they said it was all theory and pretty useless unless you went into management. Not one member of staff in my salon had their level 3, so i never saw the benefit and left it. I can see now that it may not be the case.

I was just wondering everyones opinion on this. If you have it, do you recommend it? If not, do you feel it limits your job prospects?

Also, i wanted to know how the advanced aapprenticeship worked? I am 25 and have worked on the floor so dont want to go back to shampooing for another two years. Some websites say this will be the case, some say you will be running a column and training similutaniously. If the latter, what would be the case regarding wages?

Ive struggled to find much information on this subject, so would really appreciate your feedback!

Kayla xx

I'm 27 and currently studying my level 2 in hairdressing and doing an hair extension course too. The lectures at college say that salons prefer you to have a level 3 or training towards a level 3 whilst working in a salon.

Defo do your level 3 you learn more plus looks way better on paper x

Do it! It's my only regret in life, my first employer also discouraged me so I never did it. Huge mistake of mine x

Thats what im thinking, so many jobs are only accepting cvs if you have a level 3. The rest tend to say 'level 3 preffered'. Nicola i dont understand why they would talk people out of it when it would benefit them to have a more confident and competant stylist! Maybe its so it limits the chances of you being able to leave their employment...

Do you know how easy it is to get a salon to take you on whilst studying for a level 3, as obviously they would need to let you out one day a week so not sure how managers feel about this?

Sounds like your original training provider either trained many years ago or doesn't have a level 3 themselves?

Level 3 covers advanced cutting techniques and colour/colour correction plus a range of optional units to choose from inc. hair extensions etc. (I did advanced perming techniques). There is one salon management unit, but it's an option not all colleges offer anyway.

If you already keep updated by attending training sessions provided by say, the Wella or Goldwell Academy or similar, then maybe level 3 won't give you much more than you already have.

It's really about you as a stylist keeping up with the latest trends and developments and plugging gaps in your knowledge.

Hi,
I have a friend who has just gone back to do her L3 hairdressing ... (at 31) ... She's got a loan do it and doesn't have to pay if back until she earns over £20k, ... think long term if you ever wanted to get into teaching you would need this ...
Xxxx

Thank you all.

Those that have done it or know someone, how are they doing it? if its full time courses are they just not working for a year? Or if part time are they working as a hairdresser in a salon at the same time? I found one place offering advanced apprenticeship but the salary was £86 or something a week? I earned more than that on my basic apprenticeship! And if im running a column i dont understand how they can justify that salary knowing how much it costs compared to how much id be earning the salon in services i provide.

Im just trying to figure the most cost effective way of doing this :)

I'm full time which is 3 days a week and working along side it. I think level 3 is worth it! I have learnt a hell of a lot more not only theory but how to combat problems that can come up!

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

My friends works with me teaching beauty, she does 13 hours at same Sch as me and 4hrs per week at another college ... (shes got L3 beauty, but only L2 hair) - but wants to teach hair too so has gone back to do it.
It's 2 days at college, mon 12-8 / tues 12-3.30 - she's whizzing thru her assessments and she hoping to be finished by early June ... X

Hi I'm currently doing my level 3 but mines vrq and not nvq as I do full time well they call it full time it's 2 and a half days a week and yeah it drives me mad sometimes that I'm bk at college at the age of 29 but I have learnt a lot like
Colour placement
Colour correction several different ways from pre softening to bleach bathing
Ying yang colouring
Used some of the latest new products like colour ID which I love
Several new perming techniques
New cutting techniques like disconnection my fav
Asymetric cuts
Curling using a hair grip and straightners
And def making didferent colours out of colours being mixed
The list goes on but I want to teach and u can only teach at the level u are trained at but I would def recommend doing ur level 3 :)

Thanks for all of your opinions and advice!

I have spent the last few days going through a LOT of threads on this site and I think I have decided on an alternative. I have had the luxury of a computer which seems to do a much more thorough search than my tablet :confused:

I'm leaning towards doing the vidal sassoon abc cutting course and the Loreal Colour Keys and Colour Change courses. It works out to cost about the same and I think, for what I am looking for, these will be of a bigger benefit to me. Right now teaching is not an ambition of mine, however my aspirations change constantly and I'm sure in 5 years I will probably be kicking myself :rolleyes:

Just really hoping that by having these, especially the Sassoon course, it will stop employers throwing my cv in the bin when they see I don't have my level 3.

Can thoroughly recommend Sassoon. You won't be disappointed!

Latest posts

Back