NVQ and working in salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandorasbox1

Reaction score
Hi there.
I'm looking at starting an Nvq 1 in hair. I'm not currently employed in the business (I work in hospitality atm).
My question is, will I NEED a placement for the nvq? The reason I ask is because I can't afford to lose the job security I have now while I figure out if hair is for me. Obviously I will be looking for a job in a salon eventually, but can I start without one?

Thanks! X

You’d have to ask at the training centre as not all courses are run the same way. It used to be that NVQ’s generally required students to be participating in an Apprenticeship scheme and VRQ’s didn’t, when I trained about 10 years ago.

However, I’d normally only expect school leavers to start at level 1 as it is a very basic introduction to hairdressing. Is there any reason why you’re not starting on level 2?

Again, I don’t know what the current options are, but some centres run taster courses and others offer evening and part-time options. My level 2 was a fast track programme aimed at mature students so 1 day a week for an academic year. Realistically, you need your level 3 plus extra practical hands-on experience before you’d be salon ready.

Sorry I meant level 2 🙄😂 I have a feeling its a similar thing to you AcidPerm, it's a year long 19+ nvq, one day a week in the training academy then some work to do at home and online x

I did a level 2 and 3 nvq which was at the college where they had paying clients come in to the college based salon. This too was aimed at 19+ Students, you were also encouraged if you were able to do get extra salon based experience if you were able to.

Maybe ask in local salons if you could do some Saturdays as an assistant? Sometimes if you volunteer and do a good job, they might take you on afterwards?

Latest posts

Back