NVQ question - can anyone help??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eob

Reaction score
Hi all

I am currently doing my NVQ and have so far built up a good portfolio. However, the range that I have to cover includes working on someone who has claw/hook nails. I have covered the entire range (bitten nails, spoon nails etc) but cannot find anyone with hook nails. I telephoned my assessment centre who tell me that I must complete the entire range even if I dont have photographic evidence I have to draw it.

Has anyone had the same experience and if so, how did you manage to complete it?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Em

If you can't actually do them, then you need to ba able to draw how you would do them and the method.

Generally this type of nail is best to sculpt if you want to give the illusion of straightness rather than hooked.

If you applied a tip to this type of nail, the tip would just follow the natural line and the nail would still appear hooked.

1 ... Shorten the natural nail as short as it will go even to removing all of the free-edge. File the plate into a nice curved line (this is going to become your smile!)

2 ... Apply your form and butt it right up to the nice curved free-edge line. Sculpt the tip up to the curved free-edge line and this will form your smile :biggrin: Then overlay the rest of the plate with pink and you have a beautiful straight nail with no hooked appearance.

Every three months or less, this free edge will have to be shortened right back again and a new tip sculpted on. No need for complete removal.

Hi Gigi

Thanks for the message. Will that then be enough to satisfy the NVQ people? As long as I explain how to do it and the method used then this should be ok?

Thanks
Emma

Best to ask your tutor to be absolutely sure whether or not you need to physically show you can do this type of nail or just be able to show you know how to treat this type of nail.

When I did my NVQ (both B13 and C19) I only showed that I knew how to treat these conditions if I needed to.

You could try putting a card up in a shop near you asking for anyone that has hooked nails or nails that grow over prominently, some more mature ladies l find have this or men - maybe a fella will be willing to have his nails sculptured perhaps a drag queen (they are lovely) it is hard, as you find yourself checking out everyones nails, do you?

Hope you find one if that is what you need to do, they are hard to find.

Take care

Emma, where are you based? If you are near to me I may be able to help.

Do you need to do a full set or will one nail do ....... mine grow with quite a prominent arch to them & my index fingers are fairly "hooky". I'll try to attach a picture to this post so you can see if it could be of any help (but dont hold your breath as I've never done this before so I dunno if I can get it right :lol: )

Karen

Attachments

• index finger.gif
    index finger.gif
    37 KB · Views: 63
Just curious as to what NVQ is ?

Jadey
angel2.gif

Floundering Newbie said:
Emma, where are you based? If you are near to me I may be able to help.

Do you need to do a full set or will one nail do ....... mine grow with quite a prominent arch to them & my index fingers are fairly "hooky". I'll try to attach a picture to this post so you can see if it could be of any help (but dont hold your breath as I've never done this before so I dunno if I can get it right :lol: )

Karen

Karen's nails is just perfect!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back