NVQ to paint nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahmorg1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, and I am after some help.

I want to do nail art as a very part time profession. I am always being asked who does my nails and when I reply me, they ask if I can go to their houses and do theirs. I have been told I have a flair for it. It will only be nail art, I will not be doing acrylics etc, just nail art.

Do I need any certificates or qualifications, because my aunty thinks that, as it is only the painting of nails, it is like face painting and can be classed as a craft.

My friend thinks that I need NVQ or something equivilent for Health and Safety, not sure really.

I am confused because all I want to do it paint nails.:rolleyes:

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sarah

You can do a VTCT in nail art but, if I remember rightly, in order to do it you have to do the manicure and pedicure VTCT first. This is so you can spot things like contra-indications and learn about the structure of the nail etc.
VTCTs tend to vary in local colleges so if you give your local college a ring they might be able to shed more light.

Sorry forgot to add.. you also do your health and safety exam with the mani & pedi course
hth x

Erm, not really sure how to answer this because...
if you want to paint nails you would probably need to manicure them first in order to get a good finish, and if you are going to do manicures then you will need a certificate and insurance.
Also... if nail art is your passion then it might be worth you considering learning enhancements, whether they are L&P or gel or whatever, simply because there is so much more scope for nail art on a longer nail :)
Hope that makes sense x

Also... if nail art is your passion then it might be worth you considering learning enhancements, whether they are L&P or gel or whatever, simply because there is so much more scope for nail art on a longer nail :)
Hope that makes sense x

Totally agree, plus the fact that polish (and therefore the nail art on top of it) stays on enhancements for a good two weeks, sometimes more . . . it would be a lot more short-lived on a natural nail.

if its just nailart you want to do then i would just do them, if you are not finishing nails enhancements off etc

then just do it - i cant really see the point of having a nvq in painting nails tho - everyone does it, be it a 12 year old or 60 year old, they dont have an nvq to do that

Totally agree, plus the fact that polish (and therefore the nail art on top of it) stays on enhancements for a good two weeks, sometimes more . . . it would be a lot more short-lived on a natural nail.

I didn't originally do any enhancements but had many loyal clients (still have them now) who have lovely natural nails and like nail art.
It usually lasts for around 2 weeks.
btw the reason I'm saying do a VTCT is so you are fully qualified and can get insurance... if you are hoping this will be a part time career...if it's just on yourself then it's not necessary. x

I suppose it makes adifference whether it's a hobby or if you're charging for it :)

Thank you all for your comments, they are very useful.:)

Zozo I am looking to charge, so do want to make it a part time career, as I want to be able to work it round my 2 kids.

My next door neighbour has asked if she can book me for her daughters 18th, she wants to give her a nail party, but from what you are all saying, it would be a good idea to do a manicure and pedicure course first so that I more knowledge, have the heath and Saftey side too, and I can then get insurance.

Sarah
x.x.x.x

I certainly would want at least basic health and safety training....if I had a client with a manky nail, I like to know what I'm dealing with and if its at least safe to work on. You will also need at very least liability insurance (what would happen if you spilled nail polish over a clients brand new carpet or table - it does happen, or a client had a bad reaction to a product you used and decided to get awkward)) and I doubt you'll find this a lot cheaper than technician insurance anyway and better covered for the lot.

Also you are going to occasionally have a need to file nails....if nothing else to bring them to a uniform shape.....you'd be amazed how many clients think their nais are uniform and they are all completely different shapes. And filing isn't just about running a file round the edge of a nail....granted, there's no rocket science to it, but I learnt a lot about filing and shaping that was very different from what i thought as a consumer.

In light of all this, I would at least advocate basic Manicure and Pedicure training. Learning how best to prep a nail for applying polish on top, and how to spot contra-indications.

Why not look into courses in natural nail care, and take it from there.

I'm with Peter Pan on this. Just do it. I've been on more courses than Red Rum and the truth is that most of them are useless. If you've got a talent then use it. Good luck. xx

I did a manicure course at nightschool before I did the advanced and I'm sure it wasn't a long course - maybe 12 weeks or something and it didn't really cost that much (about £50 I think) - the additional costs being that I had to buy a kit and a uniform!

I think it would be worth it if you want to go mobile. You may even get a taste for it and go for the whole course! I would love to be able to do nail art but I'm rubbish! Although I am looking to do a short course in that as I have seen them advertised in the local high schools for a free 5 week course - suppose it's just a taster but I only want ideas!

I started off just doing nail art a year ago and i am now fully qualified in all systems, i had to get liability cover and also found out that there are sooooo many things that you need to look out for. Its easy just to say oh i only want to do nail art but to work on someone elses hands you need to know all the contra indications. You might work on a client who has psoriasis or eczema and the paint you use may cause a reaction on the nail plate itself, which i only found out about when i did my course. I did a 4 day placement at the carlton institute in windsor and the did ongoing for my nvq 2.
It is well worth it hun, because you will find that regulars may want extensions or have friends that they may mention you too.
You can still work around your kids too.
Good luck
:hug:

I have decided to do a Manicure and Pedicure course, I never realised all the others things you have to consider when you paint nails, absolutely fascinating.

I have seen this on the internet and I would welcome your opinions, is it any good to work from home to obtain your qualifications????

Open Study College - Home Learning Courses to Learn Direct from Home

Thanks again everyone.

With any home learn course you need to find out if the insurance company will recognise the qualification that you are going to be getting, they don't recognise them all then you would have wasted your money,
most colleges run evening classes can you not go to one of those as a college course is a recognised certificate

Thanks Loublou,

Unfortunately my husband worked away all week, so I have no one around that can watch my kids. I will certainly look into what qualifications the insurance companies will accept.

Blimey, you can tell I am a novice at this. I had no idea what was needed.:eek:

The other thing I thinking of considering was selling hand painted false nails, do I need anything qualifications or insurance wise for this?

Sorry if I am asking so many questions, it is just nail art is something I enjoy and want to take it further somehow .

I have decided to do a Manicure and Pedicure course, I never realised all the others things you have to consider when you paint nails, absolutely fascinating.

I have seen this on the internet and I would welcome your opinions, is it any good to work from home to obtain your qualifications????

Open Study College - Home Learning Courses to Learn Direct from Home

Thanks again everyone.

Can you not spare an evening a week to go to college? City and Guilds is about 3 hrs per week for 20 weeks. Or if you want to get started straightaway , you could consider a one day course at a private college. Home learn might be fine, I don't know because I don't have any experience of it personally, but it just worries me that no-one will be there to actually show you how to do it. Whereabouts in Hants are you?

Hi Zo Zo

I'm in andover. I have looked at Salisbury College, Andover College and Basingstoke College.

I have missed the enrolment dates for these courses this year. It might mean that I can do something next year though, because from Sept 08 both my children will be at school.

Thanks

Hi Zo Zo

I'm in andover. I have looked at Salisbury College, Andover College and Basingstoke College.

I have missed the enrolment dates for these courses this year. It might mean that I can do something next year though, because from Sept 08 both my children will be at school.

Thanks

Unless the courses are fully subscribed, they will still let you enrol x

Excellent

You have all given me some great food for thought.

Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back