NVQ vs VTCT

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadegirl

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm new to this site and wanted to get your opinion on the best qualifications to work in the beauty industry.
I have enrolled on a couple vtct courses which start in january. I hope to work for myself but may also want to work in a salon. Does anyone know if I would be able to work in a salon with vtct/ihbc qualifications or do I need an NVQ?
If I do need an NVQ I'll either have to fork out a couple of grand or wait till next september.

thanks for your replies

Jade

Hi hun, first of, welcome to the site:lol:
to answer your question, the best thing to do is do a search on here and see what other geeks have had to say:lol:

I may be wrong here but I thought that VTCT was the awarding body and NVQ is a qualification.

I may be wrong here but I thought that VTCT was the awarding body and NVQ is a qualification.

yes.. i believe it is also...

VTCT is the awarding body.. and the qualification they give out is called NVQ..

so VTCT and NVQ are actually the same thing... ( well.. thats what it says on my certificate anyway)...

i remember that i got a bit confused about it at the begining too....

Hi, I'll try and answer your question, VTCT is the awarding body but they are associated with the nvq's/svq's. confused? me too! I did a night class in mani/pedi first which was a vtct level 2 certificate. I'm currently doing my svq level 2 in beauty therapy full time and the course is made up of vtct assessments. They are both as recognised as each other, hth:confused:

Yep they are a nationally reconised qualification :)

Yeh they are nationally regonised qualifications so you will be fine!! :) They are one & the same as said above!!!

Hi

thanks for all replying

Unfortunately you are all half right, well kinda right. :eek:

Vtct offer the NVQ but also offer just vtct qualification. I did email them and ask if I would get an NVQ after doing separate modules and they said not unless they are NVQ modules which mine aren't. The college actually has to offer them as NVQ modules

I have done 4 VTCT 10, 12 & 18 wk courses now & they are all either NVQ2 or 3 in that treatment. I was told that they are the same & are a recognised qualification to that level. :) Which courses are you enrolled on?

hi jade girl.
Ive done all VTCT and all were great!

I have done 4 VTCT 10, 12 & 18 wk courses now & they are all either NVQ2 or 3 in that treatment. I was told that they are the same & are a recognised qualification to that level. :) Which courses are you enrolled on?

i'm doing cosmetic makeup, manicure/pedicure, waxing, massage

I'm really confused cause I thought as you lot do as there are very few part time NVQ courses so I thought you did the vtct modules separately and they would be a part of an NVQ. I'm sure VTCT don't know what talking about.:irked:
zoe_champion_vtct said:
If you want to gain an NVQ you would need to register at a college that is offering VTCT NVQ qualifications. Doing separate units will not entitle you to an NVQ certificate.

I did NVQ level 2 in beauty therapy, the awarding body was city & guilds. I have just done a VTCT course in nail extensions but its not NVQ. I think the NVQ qualification is partly work experience related. My beauty and accounts NVQs were. Good luck on the courses

Latest posts

Back