NVQ!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you confussed by NVQ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• What's an NVQ????

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
nailroom said:
Hi Mrs Geek,
Now I'm really confused, I wasn't until I started reading this thread!!!!!

I know my papers went to Jackie Jefford at Salisbury to be marked and says 'something Jefford' on my certificate (it's at the salon, so I can't check again till I get back there - scary when you think it's been on my wall for ages and I can't remember what's on it :eek: ).
So what I'm thinking......is,........maybe my nvq is a different nvq than was done by other techs, at a beauty college?????? I thought that they were all the same nvq, but done in different places???

Oohh, perhaps I better go and read all the posts again.

yours confusedly
Sarah xx
Sarah if you have an NVQ certificate from Jacqui, you're in good hands, her husband BOB is also heavily involved in NVQ - don't be worried, just call Jacqui if you have any questions!!! ;)

Yes that's it!
I'm sure it says Bob Jefford and Associates! Does that still mean the regular nvq though? (sorry I sound dumb, :biggrin: ) I'm thinking I may have to change my signature, Don't want it to be misleading.

Sarah x

nailroom said:
Hi Mrs Geek,
Now I'm really confused, I wasn't until I started reading this thread!!!!!

I know my papers went to Jackie Jefford at Salisbury to be marked and says 'something Jefford' on my certificate (it's at the salon, so I can't check again till I get back there - scary when you think it's been on my wall for ages and I can't remember what's on it :eek: ).
So what I'm thinking......is,........maybe my nvq is a different nvq than was done by other techs, at a beauty college?????? I thought that they were all the same nvq, but done in different places???

Oohh, perhaps I better go and read all the posts again.

yours confusedly
Sarah xx

No one need panic about existing NVQ qualifications. (I'm the nail expert on HABIA, who are responsible for the Standards, and Ambassador for nail qualifications for City & Guilds) All existing qualifications are perfectly acceptable by any and every authority.
You may find you have achieved the nail units in the Beauty Therapy NVQ which is great.
The new qualifications are almost an expanded version of those and, fortunately for the industry, give us our own, stand-alone qualification, not part of anything.
You will be fine with what you have for a very long time but if you want to upgrade you qualifications to a full NVQ at Levels 2 and 3 you should find it relatively easy to do so but entirely up to you.
An NVQ qualification can anly be awarded by an Awarding Body e.g City & Guilds, BABTAC, VTCT etc so check out you have one of these on your cert.
Marian Newman

I am curious to know how it will affect those of us techs who have already done Unit 19 :rolleyes:

Will we have to re-do only the parts which are new?:?:

Or will we have to do the whole thing again? :?:

Hopefully the first one, as I have already done manicure and Pedicure NVQ, Unit 19. So that would leave about 5 other units, but I am still confused at this change.:confused:

I am however pleased to see things moving in the right direction for our industry as a whole, it can only be a good thing ... can't it!

All the best to all of you. :biggrin:

Hi

You simply need to complete a better course and to ask questions.... If you don't ask, you will never learn. ( Have you tried to contact the trainer, to see if he/she can help you further with the things you did not understand?)

I originally completed a bad L&P course, and didn't find out until I saw an educator from the company in question doing nails totally differently from the way I had been shown... I raised this with the companies chairman, who was fabulous, he was so good, he actually ensured I was refunded for the course and sent me some products.. (the company are actually very reputable, and have good products) Sadly, for me, I was put off the product by the bad trainer.
I then completed a college NVQ and attended the Creative academy near to me... I haven't looked back!!!
Don't let a bad experience put you off....... but, be careful of carrying out nail services on clients if you are not sure you are doing them correctly....!!!

Qwinn said:
Awwwww someone help me Plz :| I did acrylic training with a company but I am afraid that the certificate aint worth the paper its wrote on:( well I can get insureance and I am up an mobile .. but I want some training that is more than this .. and I want to know of a way of checking out the prospective colleges/schools I am looking at .. and what qualifcations I should be looking for :biggrin: I want a decent grounding to build upon ... if anyone got any ideas I would be greatful of ya help .. Plz plz plz some Nail Guru out there .. show me the right path to follow .. .... Hope to hear Soooooooon :) QwinnT'Sential

Nickie@Nailmania-Limited said:
I am curious to know how it will affect those of us techs who have already done Unit 19 :rolleyes:

Will we have to re-do only the parts which are new?:?:

Or will we have to do the whole thing again? :?:

Hopefully the first one, as I have already done manicure and Pedicure NVQ, Unit 19. So that would leave about 5 other units, but I am still confused at this change.:confused:

I am however pleased to see things moving in the right direction for our industry as a whole, it can only be a good thing ... can't it!
:

When people say "I have my NVQ in nails" this is not actually true. What you have is one or several UNITS which are part of a full NVQ in Beauty therapy.

Listen up everyone 'I will say zis only once'!!!

If you have completed your nvq UNIT then you have got the qualification for artificial nail structures ... once you have it .. YOU HAVE IT.

You have completed 1 UNIT of a full Beauty therapy NVQ ---got it? Manicure and pedicure are other UNITS of that full beauty therapy NVQ. as are eylash tinting and waxing etc.

From September (hopefully) we will have our own FULL NVQ qualification in Nails (nothing to do with beauty) and it will consist of many UNITS just like the Beauty therapy NVQ BUT nails will be a full NVQ qualification and not just a UNIT. This is very cool.

Some units will be similar or the same as that which you have already done, others will include 'nail art', 'photographic art' maybe 'theatrical nail art' etc. One unit will be Gel and one will be wraps and one will be Liquid/powder.

To get a FULL NVQ in nails , you will have to go back and do all the units (apart from the ones you have already done) BUT you do not need to if you have already done unit 19. It is purely optional. OK??
Hope this makes everything clear.

What you have already completed is still valid and will stay valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back