NVQ!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you confussed by NVQ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• What's an NVQ????

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hells

Reaction score
Hi Guys. D
I would like to hear your views on NVQ's.
Do you think they are a worthy qualification?
Have you done your unit 19 and feel it was not what you expected or was it the best thing you have done for your career?
Are you aware of the change in nail treatment qualification that has just arrived?
I am currently teaching at a London college and would also like to know if there is anything that you would have wanted covered in the qualification but did not, that i may be able to offer my students.
i would love to hear anyones views..
Thanx
hells
oxoxoxoxo

hi

i trained at hartlepool college and found their course very good, tho i might add that they could have covered sculptured abit more in depth.
but overall was very satisfied with the training i got - sometimes i think its not the level of education but the input from the students - if they dont have their hearts in it - it doesnt matter what you teach - as they say - some have it - some dont - fortunately for me - i did

hells said:
Hi Guys. D
I would like to hear your views on NVQ's.
Do you think they are a worthy qualification?
Have you done your unit 19 and feel it was not what you expected or was it the best thing you have done for your career?
Are you aware of the change in nail treatment qualification that has just arrived?
I am currently teaching at a London college and would also like to know if there is anything that you would have wanted covered in the qualification but did not, that i may be able to offer my students.
i would love to hear anyones views..
Thanx
hells
oxoxoxoxo

Hi there,

I am currently doing my unit 309 in nail extensions, it's alot of work., but pretty straight forward once you get into it. I have been enjoying surfing the net for once looking for weird and wonderfull nail diseases and disorders!!!. What are the new cahnges....need to know cos I need to keep up to all changes and do more courses...Im addicted

Amanda (hermans wife) :o

When the new NVQ comes out in September, there will be so many changes as it now includes nail art, airbrushing and photography. So many students will need to do more courses if they want to get the whole qualification. Until then, most future candidates are lacking on free form sculpt, COSHH and how to do a full consultation / after care.

i am in the middle of my nvq unit 19 and its a fab qualification... i would certainly take note of any tech that has done this as it is so intense and in depth. There are so many cowboys out there by doing a standard recognised qualification it shows we can separate ourselves from the non standard salons of this world.

Totally agree!! Although all the geeks know i am NVq mad, ..........and MMA mad............. and education mad............... and nail art mad.................... and chocolate mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi... I've done unit 19... What's 309?? sorry to be thick, but I've not heard of this one.

Sue MIFHB

Hi ya

Although they are all unit 19, each awarding body has its own code. 309 is the code number for City and Guilds.

But its all change in September!

I did NVQ 19/Unit 309 (its the same thing, I think) last summer. :)

Where do I find out what the changes will be and will I have to do only the new parts to add to what I have already done? :rolleyes:

Now, before this poll, I was not too confused - however, I do feel confused now. Is there a definite syllabus for this new NVQ - IS there a new NVQ and will it definitely be starting in September this year? :confused:

I would be extremely interested to find out. ;)

All the best

Well, I'm really confused :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

Being north of the border we don't have NQV's as we come under another education body. We do SVQ's.

I don't even know if any colleges do the NVQ up here - or it's SVQ equivelant :confused:

If anyone up here could help me out it'd be fab :green:

Well i will be honest, im totally confused to!!!!!!!!!!! As i am hot on NVQ's it dosent say much for me!!!!

All i know is that the new standards were due out in Jan'04, now put back as its not ready till sept'04. But i dont have that in writing..........

There will be 9 units now. Manicure, pedicure, redimal inc rebalence, nail art, airbrushing, photography, gel, fibreglass and liquid and powder. But i dont have that in writing either.............

Everybody should upgrade to keep the qualification up to date, it depends when you got your unit 19 as evidence only remains valid for 2 years. So i dont know what you have to do to upgrade yet...................

I am waiting, along with the the other SAC's, for a meeting to update us all, which i hope happens soon as i would love to answer your questions.

As soon as i know, I WILL PUT IT IN WRITING!!!!!

Awwwww someone help me Plz :| I did acrylic training with a company but I am afraid that the certificate aint worth the paper its wrote on:( well I can get insureance and I am up an mobile .. but I want some training that is more than this .. and I want to know of a way of checking out the prospective colleges/schools I am looking at .. and what qualifcations I should be looking for :biggrin: I want a decent grounding to build upon ... if anyone got any ideas I would be greatful of ya help .. Plz plz plz some Nail Guru out there .. show me the right path to follow .. .... Hope to hear Soooooooon :) QwinnT'Sential

Qwinn said:
Awwwww someone help me Plz :| I did acrylic training with a company but I am afraid that the certificate aint worth the paper its wrote on:( well I can get insureance and I am up an mobile .. but I want some training that is more than this .. and I want to know of a way of checking out the prospective colleges/schools I am looking at .. and what qualifcations I should be looking for :biggrin: I want a decent grounding to build upon ... if anyone got any ideas I would be greatful of ya help .. Plz plz plz some Nail Guru out there .. show me the right path to follow .. .... Hope to hear Soooooooon :) QwinnT'Sential
hi there,
you could give tracey stephenson a ring at Waterside training acadamy!!! it is a fab training school and its also an nvq centre.... her number is 0148222775 she should be able to point you in the right direction. She is based in Hull...best of luck
Amanda

Give the ANT a call on 01353 665577, ask for a free copy of Nails mag, its got lots of info in. Pm me your address and i will send you some unbiased info on NVQ and other training courses.

There are so many courses out there. Some hints.........................

What qualification do you get?
Can you get insurance with it?
Is it enough to keep your local council happy?
What will you learn?
Is your tutor qualified / experienced?
Does she/he have teaching qualifications?
Is COSHH included?
Are you happy with the back up and support service?

Hope it helps!

AAAAhhhhhhh, help!!!!!!

I've just done the basic course with star nails in L&P acrylic, i am then doing another 3 seperate advanced training courses which you have to do over a course of six months which, if you pass gives you a diploma in your chosen system. I've been told it is a recognised qualification, which also goes towards doing your NVQ.

I am very worried now as i know things are going to change soon. The one problem i do have is being a mum with a 3 yr old and only being a part time nail tech, money isn't spare so these large block nail courses are a little out of my reach. I want to learn as much as i can to make myself as successful as possible, can someone tell me if what i'm doing is okay please?????:confused:

in the latest scratch mag is an article explaining the new nvq.page 34.and a contact number for H.A.B.I.A 01302 380016.

Hi Fee,
don't know if this is of any help to you, but I am in Clydebank area, and have done the svq in nail care, and currently doing the same in nail enhancements at Clydebank college. I was really confused when I started college, and kept reading about the NVQ on the message boards. I asked my tutor about this and she said the SVQ is the Scottish equivilent to the NVQ.
I wonder about this though, as the course is only 12-14 weeks one night per week for three hours, and I get the impression that maybe the NVQ is a much more intense course? Maybe someone could put me straight on this.
I had been doing nails for over two years prior to taking these courses, and , speaking for myself, I don't think that what we are learning on the nail enhancememnt part of the course, would have been anywhere near sufficient to make me into a good nail tech, without the prior experience.
Any feedback on this will be most welcome.
luv June

Here is some information you may find useful.

What are nvq/svqs ?
National vocational qualifications and Scottish vocational qualifications are 'doing' qualifications. That means learning and working in the salon with progress measured through continuous assessment.

How do they work?
All nvq/svq qualifications are made up of separate units which set out exactly what a candidate must be able to do and to what standard. It is made up of mandatory units and optional units that need to be completed by the candidate in order to gain their qualification.
Once a unit has been achieved, it counts as a credit towards the final certificate. The number of units required depends on the level of the nvq/svq.
Assessments simply means the process by which a candidate is judged to have met the standards.

How do I meet the standards?
To meet the standards a candidate must show evidence of their performance, knowledge and understanding of a subject. They must be able to demonstrate that they can perform consistently to the standards expected.

Who decides on the standards?
The standards are written by the Hair and Beauty Industry Authority (HABIA) and advice is taken from professionals within the industry.
The two awarding bodies (the organisation that issues the certificate) are City and Guilds and VTCT, but the standards remain the same. That is why you will see unit B19 or Unit 309, just different awarding body.

Who are the assessors?
Assessors are people who judge or assess the evidence of a candidate's performance, knowledge and understanding. They decide whether the candidate has the ability to do the job competently.

What qualifications do they have?
As from August 2004, all assessors must have 5 years industry experience along with the current qualification or 10 years industry experience with a view to completing it. They must also have a relevant assessing qualification and are only allowed to assess the qualificaton they are experienced in.
It is also essential that they continue to develop their knowledge and skills and have to do x number of hours in training and/or working in a salon to keep up with industry trends every 12 months.

How do I get the qualification?
If you are a beginner, you can either attend a college or private college that offers training with assessments at the end to reach the standards.
If you are already a working technician/therapist then you only need to go through the assessment process and provide a portfolio of evidence to support your knowledge and understanding. This can be obtained through a recognised assessment centre.
A recognised assessment centre must have the facility or a working salon to be able to provide paying clients of different ages and ethnicity. They must work under strict guidelines, providing an equal opportunities policy, appeals and complaints procedure, quality assurance etc., etc.,

How long will it take?
There is no strict rule for gaining the qualification, but candidates cannot be submitted for certification less than 12 weeks from registering with a centre.
Up to 2 years from registration is acceptable.

What are the standards for nails?
As from August 2004, the standards will be changed (this happens every 4 years) and now nails have their 'own' nvq/svq rather than being part of level 2&3 beauty therapy.
The basic outline for the new qualification is:
Level 2 - Mandatory units
G1 Health & Safety
G6 Retail
G8 Develop effectiveness at work
BT7 Manicure
BT8 Pedicure
BT12 Wraps
BT13 Nail Art

Optional : G4 Reception

Level 3 - Mandatory units
G1 Health & Safety
G6 Retail
G11 Contribute to the financial effectiveness of the business
BT22 Nail extensions in L&P, UV Gel and Silk/Fibre
BT23 Maintenance
BT24 Plan, design and provide nail art services

Optional : BT25 Design and create nail images incorporating nail art
BT27 Design and create images for fashion and photography
BT30 UV Tanning
BT31 Self tanning
G12 Sucesful business ideas
G13 Law and regulations affecting the business

I am attending a City and Guilds meeting on 20th May, so will know more in depth information about the new units that I will pass on to you.

Do I have to have an nvq/svq?
This depends in which area of the country you live. At the moment the borough of Westminster in London will not let you provide nail services unless you have a nvq qualification. From what I can gather from speaking to people in the industry, it will be necessary for all technicians to have this qualification within the next few years. It seems to be dependant on your local council at the mo.

Hope this was not too long winded for you, you can private message me if you need more info, or alternatively have a look at the HABIA web site on www.habia.org

Tracey

Thank you Tracey for that very informative post. I also want to add that if ANY of you have questions regarding the new NVQ, Jaqui Jefford would also be more than happy to answer - she has been truly instrumental in NAILS having their own NVQ and NOT being part of Beauty Therapy. JJ has been apart of the HABIA meetings for 2 years to put this into force. As Tracey Stephenson says, currently only the Borough of Westminster in London has strict rules - before you all panic, let's wait and see what happens ONCE this new system has been put in place. I will ask Jacqui to post as maybe she can help keep us up-to-date with this!!:idea:

Hi Mrs Geek,
Now I'm really confused, I wasn't until I started reading this thread!!!!!

I know my papers went to Jackie Jefford at Salisbury to be marked and says 'something Jefford' on my certificate (it's at the salon, so I can't check again till I get back there - scary when you think it's been on my wall for ages and I can't remember what's on it :eek: ).
So what I'm thinking......is,........maybe my nvq is a different nvq than was done by other techs, at a beauty college?????? I thought that they were all the same nvq, but done in different places???

Oohh, perhaps I better go and read all the posts again.

yours confusedly
Sarah xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back