NVQ2 Nail Services - Are my Assessors subject to quality control?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so how could a prospective student check with ofstead as to the collage in there area, same as we do for a child school.

so how could a prospective student check with ofstead as to the collage in there area, same as we do for a child school.
most colleges have the said ofsted reports etc on their website but im sure the info is available to the public too..

most colleges have the said ofsted reports etc on their website but im sure the info is available to the public too..
fantastic piece of info

we have a IV visit every 1/2 months to make sure we are all teaching correctly and also we have got inspectors from ofsted in for a couple of weeks in april to make sure we are all doing our job right!
it sounds scary but if we didnt have these people checking to make sure we are doing it right where would teaching be!

:hug:

Well indeed, where is it?? Many colleges do not teach this subject either competently or correctly and people are being passed of as competent when they are not. By and large, colleges do not have a good reputation (and that is putting it politely) for teaching nail services and many teachers would not know a good nail from a bad one.

Just ask people here on the site who have received their NVQ only to come on here and tell us they actually know nothing and do not feel confident to even begin to work on clients.

Well indeed, where is it?? Many colleges do not teach this subject either competently or correctly and people are being passed of as competent when they are not. By and large, colleges do not have a good reputation (and that is putting it politely) for teaching nail services and many teachers would not know a good nail from a bad one.

Just ask people here on the site who have received their NVQ only to come on here and tell us they actually know nothing and do not feel confident to even begin to work on clients.

'Nailed' it it one, Geeg! Well said. I am one of those NVQ people without the confidence to work on clients - yet!

" I was observed today by my head of school.. i have been observed 5 times so far this year " (Raquel)

I work for BABTAC.

In my offices there are 20 women; I'm the only bloke.

In the Association we have 10,000 members; all bar 50 are women.

At home, I'm married, and have two teenage children; yes, both giirls.

I'm being watched with intent to criticise every flaming second of every damn day of my life!

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
Marketing Services Manager
BABTAC

" I was observed today by my head of school.. i have been observed 5 times so far this year " (Raquel)

I work for BABTAC.

In my offices there are 20 women; I'm the only bloke.

In the Association we have 10,000 members; all bar 50 are women.

At home, I'm married, and have two teenage children; yes, both giirls.

I'm being watched with intent to criticise every flaming second of every damn day of my life!

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
Marketing Services Manager
BABTAC

Oh, Philip, I feel for you - all those women looking over your shoulder! :)

To add, though, I can assume there is a mish-mash of tutors in both private and public sections. I can only speak from experience and that's not to say I am tarring them all with the same brush. My experience in the private section is far superior to college, imho. During my course at college it didn't help that I had 2 tutors.The first one left after a row with the college and on her departure I actually saw with my own eyes that she was teaching her successor how to do enhancements! Enough said!

changing the subject very slightly!
when I left school I went to catering college full time for 2 years. I then went to bakery college for 2 years full time.

I came out of further and higher education colleges after 4 years, and didn't know how to cook or make bread.

I learn't that in the jobs that I then subsequently took on. the college courses gave me the confidence to seek work, but I honed my skills in the workplace.

The same as driving, I learn't to drive, I passed. I then LEARN'T TO DRIVE!

So, I do believe this problem is generic.

I have taken 3 diploma courses in college and the rest of my education has been in the private sector. I prefer the private sector as I do think colleges have become overly obsessed with ticking boxes and covering criteria and sometimes lose sight of the fact that the practical skills are quite low down the list of criteria. With private colleges you really concentrate on the practical skills.

I have also taught for 3 years to diploma level, and am now going to start teaching in the private sector.

So, don't forget that what you learn at college be it further ed of private college, you are learning the basics and it is up to you to perfect your skills.

changing the subject very slightly!
when I left school I went to catering college full time for 2 years. I then went to bakery college for 2 years full time.

I came out of further and higher education colleges after 4 years, and didn't know how to cook or make bread.

I learn't that in the jobs that I then subsequently took on. the college courses gave me the confidence to seek work, but I honed my skills in the workplace.

The same as driving, I learn't to drive, I passed. I then LEARN'T TO DRIVE!

So, I do believe this problem is generic.

I have taken 3 diploma courses in college and the rest of my education has been in the private sector. I prefer the private sector as I do think colleges have become overly obsessed with ticking boxes and covering criteria and sometimes lose sight of the fact that the practical skills are quite low down the list of criteria. With private colleges you really concentrate on the practical skills.

I have also taught for 3 years to diploma level, and am now going to start teaching in the private sector.

So, don't forget that what you learn at college be it further ed of private college, you are learning the basics and it is up to you to perfect your skills.

Well practical skills should not be low down on the criteria because the students are supposed to be competent when they are finished and achieved the award.

Competent does not mean highly skilled. I agree that skill and artistry are built with time and practical experience. But Competent. A huge proportion are being passed as competent and they are no where near to even that low level of skill. This is not right ... and we all know it.

well like i have said ALREADY the trouble with colleges is that.. they do NOT have enough SKILLED technicians who are able to teach.. NEVERMIND the ticky box thing- do not knock colleges or NVQ til you try it.. CMON skilled techs.. the jobs are there DO SOMETHING - lets make the public sector more skilled.. not everyone can afford 1000's for private courses..the private sector could learn a lesson or too about health and safety and theory from the college world- so all the colleges need is SKILL hence ME putting myself in there to make a difference!
so...... folk are knocking the SKILL LEVEL available.. how many people out there leave a private course ready to work to work on the public huh???

So if the college domain are lacking skill- is the private sector lacking teacher training in order to DELIVER the said skill to their pupils?? how many private educators have the necessary teacher/ trainer qualifications??? Cos if i was paying THAT much id want a real teacher..

well like i have said ALREADY the trouble with colleges is that.. they do NOT have enough SKILLED technicians who are able to teach.. NEVERMIND the ticky box thing- do not knock colleges or NVQ til you try it.. CMON skilled techs.. the jobs are there DO SOMETHING - lets make the public sector more skilled.. not everyone can afford 1000's for private courses..the private sector could learn a lesson or too about health and safety and theory from the college world- so all the colleges need is SKILL hence ME putting myself in there to make a difference!
so...... folk are knocking the SKILL LEVEL available.. how many people out there leave a private course ready to work to work on the public huh???

So if the college domain are lacking skill- is the private sector lacking teacher training in order to DELIVER the said skill to their pupils?? how many private educators have the necessary teacher/ trainer qualifications??? Cos if i was paying THAT much id want a real teacher..

All the CND trainers are completely trained to teach. All have their NVQ too (for what that's worth). Many also have their Assessors awards and are also IV's. THAT along with the CND curriculum ensures the best training in the industry (which is why CND is the only nail company to have won any award for training and CND has won 2 awards for BEST industry training). And CND training does not cost thousands and is very value added including products and a Nail Trainer.

And my final note is this ... a having a certificate for teacher training does NOT make or ensure a good teacher, anymore than having an NVQ in nails ensures a good nail technician.

Latest posts

Back