OAP charges

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deehair

Reaction score
hi im going to be doing oaps hairdressing services, do any of you hairgeeks do a seperate price list and do this for oaps
i am thinking of doing a seperate price list for them :Grope:

Hi there.

Personally i dont. The reason is because it takes me the same time to do an oap as it does someone who is not an oap.
The products cost the same, petrol costs are the same. Why should they pay less just because they are senior citizens?

an example:

client rings up for cut&blowdry or set

0ap= it would take me approx 40mins to do the cut &blow/cut&set, plus cost the same to get there(travelling times and cost), products used would be the same (mousse or setting lotion, shampoo, conditioner,blo dry spray, hairspray, gelspray, wax,finishing gloss). These products cost me the same to buy!!

non-oap= 40 mins to do cut&blow/cut&set, plus cost the same to get there(travelling times and cost), products used would be the same (mousse, setting lotion, gel spray , blo dry spray, shampoo, conditioner, wax, finishing gloss). Products still cost the same to buy!!

Oaps very often have more disposable income anyway and can afford to have their hair done every week.

I personally wouldnt give them a discount. You are providing them with a professional service .
Just set your prices so they are fair, and give them a professional service , be friendly and reliable and you wont go far wrong.

But my advice is NEVER do it cheaper. If they want it cheaper they will always find someone who does cheap, but you will find they will always come back to you in the end if you are worth your salt.

You are trying to make a profit, not keep the oap's happy.

Hth . Good luck .

Elaine xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug::hug::hug:

i wouldnt offer a seperate price either , as lavender says , it takes exactley the same amount of time ,
would you offer an oap price on nails hun ? :green:

i am only just getting back into doing hair but have never offered a oap discount , i have done some flyers with £5 off your next appointment but thats it really :hug:

no im just sorting out my price lists for my website im not offering a oap on nails i was thinking of just hair you see i charge for a cut and finish at mo 20.00 on my new prices :) and was wondering if to offer a slightly lower price for oap but i looks like i shouldnt v

i think £20 is a fine pricehun , at the end of the day its up to you , wethwer you decide to do it or not , i know a hell of a lot of salons do it , if they have appointments on a certain day they get x amount of discount
that might be ok to do really as it might fill your quiet days up ?/ what do you think ? xx

im just looking into oap prices due to my website im having done i may offer one day a week il check the response to the thread as i dont want to be recteifing the site once up and running appart from adding new pics to gallery that is :hug:

hi.
I agree with what's been said about oap's having more disposable income and the time/products used is the same.

Oap's seem to get money off here there and everywhere and to be honest this is something that has :irked: me for sometime... BUT...unfortunatly competiton for business is high and sometimes you have to offer something to get people to come to you (apart from a fab service that is:lol:)

Mayby offering an oap day ( on a day that you are not at your bussiest) might be better than simlpy lowering your prices for them.
Not sure how to word this...but...make sure that the price isn't drasticly reduced...sometimes a few pence is enough to make someone feel they are getting a bargain.
xx:hug:xx

no im just sorting out my price lists for my website im not offering a oap on nails i was thinking of just hair you see i charge for a cut and finish at mo 20.00 on my new prices :) and was wondering if to offer a slightly lower price for oap but i looks like i shouldnt v

Hi , there hun , I wouldn't and its for all the above reasons too
OAPs should be charged just the same as everyone else
and a lot of the OAPs like it that way too :hug: x

i thought so its just iv had a client comment on my price being to high as her last hairdresser was a lot cheeper and busy blabla but then thought to myself well why am i here instead of her maybe you are right keep prices the same y o

i thought so its just iv had a client comment on my price being to high as her last hairdresser was a lot cheeper and busy blabla but then thought to myself well why am i here instead of her maybe you are right keep prices the same y o

Hi , don't let her comments bother you, she has a simple choice to accept your professional prices or not, no one is forcing her,

she was pretty cheeky to say something like that anyways
If she prefers a cheap job then thats up to her ,

I am not saying that cheaper isn't always as good ,
but hairdressers who have to rush (as it may be for their bosses) to make more money to pay the rent and wages ect , or because of location ,

usually if they are are cheaper and cram lots of people in appointment book ,
the poor hairdresser becomes stressed and mistakes can happen,
and it doesn't allow for a lot of time given to the clients .
but thats just my views

I always find that good hairdressers who have done their training like you have ,
can afford to take a little more time with the clients hair and you should not be too cheap,
because when you spend that little extra time pampering them and they get a lovely professional hair do from you they will love it, and will always return to you .

Just think of all the time and effort you have put into your training hun , your prices are fine, you don't need to lower them :hug: x

thats one of the reasons i decided to do freelance i can spend that little extra time with clients if need be and i dont feel rushed i thought she would be happeir i didnt make a mess of her hair but never mind il keep my prices the same as every body else :) im a professional not a ameture after all thanx:hug: i feel better now

i have an oap day ,( a tuesday otherwise im quiet ) , oaps dont always take the same time ,but then i dont do sets ,and you get return business for perms , but generally i keep them to the same day . older people tend to be more considerate , give you a little something for christmas and birthdays or for the kids at easter so id think about it .

:hug:thanx for that do you keep your prices the same or do you give them a little discount:hug:

hi ijust thought id bump this thread to see jf other hair geeks do oap prices seperately or keep the same prices as other clients

Keep them the same, they do take advantage you know if they can:lol:

Take for instance you have a client but you are not quite sure of her age! do you embarrass her by charging her oap rates? or by asking her if she is an oap! or do you charge her full price or does she try and con you and tell you she's an oap when it is obvious she is an oap!

I had a cheeky little oap a couple of weeks ago, I go to her every friday and mycharges are pretty low anyway! any lower and I will be out of pocket! but anyhow she had been in hospital for a cateract doing in her eye, I think missed just 1 week (maybe 2!) she booked me for the following week so off I go about 6 miles away from my previous client and the same distance to my next one, anyway when I got there she said she still darent wash her hair in case she got water inher eye so would I just tong it up for her, just to tidy it up,I was happy to do this then when she came to pay she handed me £2:irked::irked::irked: I told her I would have to charge her the normal price as I had travelled a long way and it had still took me the same amount of time, she wasnt very happy:rolleyes: so I do know that give them an inch anp they take a mile.....
so Keep ypur prices the same, if you really do want to offer special oap rates just stick to 1 day or afternoon a week say, but personally I wouldn't.

And dont give friends discounts areat everyone the same either, they take advantage too.... after all you are running a business hun:hug:

Ruth x

Well i do charge my oap`s a bit less but after reading this thread I`ll be putting the prices up as I haven`t for a while. I know that they`ll all moan but its tough I know my hairdressing prices are too low altogether, I guess they`ll be in for a shock!!!!:):eek:

Depending on the area you are in, would it be worth doing a small discount for students on a certain day? They tend to think anything with NUS discount is a bargain no matter how much it actually costs (speaking from bitter experience of my student days when I fell for many an offer!) and they might be good for repeat business too? Maybe not as loyal as OAPs, but I'd imagine they'd want different and possibly more profitable services? Hope you don't mind me replying on this thread, but there are a few salons in my area that do OAP days but nothing for students, and given the profile of the area I think they're missing a trick maybe.

Latest posts

Back