OFF and OF

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where and we're :-|

Somethink instead of something and Everythink instead of everything

SO ANNOYING

Debbie

'I am bored of it.'

NO! 'I am bored WITH it.'

Some people can't help it. My sister for example has dyslexia and she tries her best to make sense. She always gets ignorant people correcting her spelling or laughing at the way she pronounces something.
Its not nice to judge people, fair enough some people just shorten words because they're lazy but some do it because they don't know how to spell the word properly. There are alot more dyslexics out there than people realise x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Problem with the good old English language ... Text talk & slang = B4 / 2mora / borra / tar / spake - etc etc etc

People no longer know how to write properly, they literally write how they speak ... !!!

When I mark GSCE work, my body shakes when I read some of it, some of the language used, incorrect use of grammar. Spelling is also an issue - I can't understand how you can have so many spelling mistakes on a piece of GCSE work when you've used a computer and they they try to convince me they've spell checked it before handing it in ...!!!

Even though I am a BlackCountry girl through and through or from near Dudlaayyy, I can sometimes speak quite broad but I always knew how to articulate properly when needed ... !!!

Some people can't help it. My sister for example has dyslexia and she tries her best to make sense. She always gets ignorant people correcting her spelling or laughing at the way she pronounces something.
Its not nice to judge people, fair enough some people just shorten words because they're lazy but some do it because they don't know how to spell the word properly. There are alot more dyslexics out there than people realise x

That's different, Completely different. I have quite a few students whom none of which are dyslexic who have no idea how to spell simple words ... X

Bought and brought irritates me the most. I have one friend who uses every single word mentioned in this thread incorrectly. Drives me crazy!

The only difference is that you know what students are dyslexic and who just isn't trying. Most people don't take this into account in everyday life, they see someone spelling words wrong and just think they're lazy/uneducated/stupid.

Could of instead of could have.

Definately. There's no A in definitely!

The only difference is that you know what students are dyslexic and who just isn't trying. Most people don't take this into account in everyday life, they see someone spelling words wrong and just think they're lazy/uneducated/stupid.

I don't think it's incorrect spelling that is being referred to, it's the incorrect use of words in general.
I was talking about the whole text speak thing with my 16 year old son last night, even he was saying how he doesn't like it and can't stand to read the messages some of his friends have typed. He is dyslexic and struggles to type words correctly, but he tries. He spells the best that he can and tries to use correct grammer. The text speak thing makes things more difficult for him when he is trying his best to do things correctly.
There is a whole world of difference between people that have dyslexia and struggle with spelling and people that just use the wrong words or cant be bothered to type properly, so I hope that I didn't offend x

Yes please make an allowance for the dyslexic people including myself, some words are a right pain in the rear for me the one's that are pronounced exactly the same and have about 3 different spellings because they have 3 different meaning the meaning are fine it's the spellings that are a pain, because unlike you I don't have a photo of every word I have ever seen in my head im starting from scratch every time I write a word, where as you just pull up the picture in you head and copy it, think about that for a minute please

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
It's been said before, but I HATE WITH A PASSION - your instead of you're....:mad:

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

No and know grrrr!

Pacific / specific

Two very different things.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This one drives me crazy but one I can't get the hang of myself is brought and bought

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Bought and brought irritates me the most. I have one friend who uses every single word mentioned in this thread incorrectly. Drives me crazy!

I just can't get the hang of this one can't tell you why, my friends tell me bring and brought, buy and bought. I say it in my head and still get it wrong.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Argh hubby just told my son he was kind for 'borrowing' his brother something! Queue argument over borrowing and lending!!

Should of....grrrr!!

Agreed. .... Always "should have", "could have"... Never 'of'.

And the misuse of the words 'allowed' and 'aloud'. In fact there are so many this thread could go on for the next ten years.
Our language is by far one of the hardest to learn, especially with the same pronunciation of words with different meanings and spellings.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:

I make this mistake a lot to be honest lol...

Wander and wonder.. These get me miffed..
When folks say "oh i wandered if you could do this design"
Grrrrrrr!

Latest posts

Back