Offering manicure services to care homes/assisted living communities

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Bod

Reaction score
Dear all,

I'd be interested to know if anybody offers their services to local care homes or assisted living communities.

My tutor spoke to me about it as an option after her salon had been approached by a local care home to visit their residents, but it wasn't something she could offer logistically (having two members of staff out of the salon, etc).

There are many such places where I live and I'd really like to explore this possibility.

However, I'm not confident what would be the best way of approaching them.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Many thanks, Bod x

Hi Mrs Bod

This is something I am also interested in but havent really had time to explore options!

I'm assuming CRB checks would be required, as well as insurance etc.

Let me know if you get anywhere as your just down the road from me & I guess local councils have similar rules! ;)

Good luck :) x

My 'other' job is working with the disabled in assisted living.
The girls/ ladies like all of us, love to be pampered & have their nails done.
My experience says to remind you that patience with polish drying, and sitting still for periods of time can be quite difficult for some, but as with all our clients, we always manage to individualize our services to suit.
I have 2 semi regular clients that are 'special needs' and they adore their 8 weekly visits.
They are also improving with each visit on being careful and 'look after' their nails, and they love to see what's new and fun and to try some different things out!
I pick each of these ladies up from their homes and take to my home salon, but as a qualified carer, with appropriate police checks etc, and being a familiar staff member this is all ok.
Perhaps a phone call to carers or staff to check what they require from you on terms of insurance, qualifications, police checks etc.
Also ask them to suggest suitable ladies that would be interested, they will know best who will get the most out of your time with them!
You will have a great time and I'm sure they will love you :)

Last edited:
My friend does this every 3 weeks and it works really well for her. The staff put a list up for the residents to put their names in advance so my friend knows what she has when she gets there. As well as offering manicure and pedicure she also charges a few pounds for just a toe nail cut as obviously a lot of the more more elderly ladies and gents cannot reach themselves. HTH

I also do activities in a care home and our ladies also have a nail technician come 2 weekly to do nails.
They tend to have them Done in The communal area so a crb wouldn't be needed, the ones that are bed bound obviously have it done in their rooms but as they want you there you basically count as a 'visitor' type thing so wouldn't need a crb ( some places might have different policies) I think you could make quite good money but it'd just be file and polishes from what they do where I work.

I've had this in mind to but keep forgetting to approach the homes near us

I went into a care home in my town and took some brochures and told them about myself and services and what I'd have to offer! I think is a much better way and will provide will you with a better chance than emailing ! :) good luck

Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts

Sorry I didn't get back sooner to thank you.

Will certainly let you know how I get on. Leaflets are next on my list to do so will definitely pay as many face to face visits as I can.

Mrs Bod x

Latest posts

Back