oil on skin before wax??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil lisa

Reaction score
Whats all this about applying oil to the skin before waxing? I was always told to remove any oily residues prior to waxing as the wax won't stick properly and you end up waxing over the area twice to get all the hairs out. I know its to stop the wax fron sticking to the hairs rather then the skin but does it really work? I have been waxing bods for 11 years and have only heard about this recently L x :eek:

Yup, it really works :D

The oil stops the wax from sticking to the skin, and can be used with any brand and any type of wax (soft wax, hard/hot wax, cream, honey, etc).

You really do only need a light smear on the skin - too much and the wax will slide off (if this happens, it's easy enough to just blot the skin with a tissue and try again). Some manufacturers sell specific pre-depilatory oils, but any light massage oil will do the job.

The French have been using this trick for years (they know a thing or two about waxing!) and it was in fact a French waxing brand called Perron Rigot that first brought it to my attention in the UK. Across the Atlantic, waxing stars like Lori Nestore (aka The Wax Queen) and our very own Anita (Huberella) have also been advocating the use of oil for some time now.

I find it helps the wax release better from the skin and reduces discomfort for clients, and I use it under strip and hard wax on all areas of the body. It also makes cleanup easier. Takes a while to get the hang of, but well worth the effort :D

Andy x

I can vouch for this aswell...i have to say i was sceptical,but yes the French really do this prior to waxing,and it works a treat...Only the French know how:rolleyes::lol:

I have to add the discomfort is reduced greatly aswell,which really helps you and the client

As a total newbie to waxing (Which I bloomin Love!!!) I too tried it out and it really does work. Told my tutor about it last night and she said "well we are always learning" so give it a go.
Sam X

Thanks guys i will give it a go might practise on the gals at work first though just to be on the safe side! :green: L x

How interesting. I've had a few guys call up to make an appointment for a massage and waxing. I've said no for two reasons, 1) I'm still building up my confidence in it and don't want to make it over complicated including other treatments and 2) I wasn't sure about waxing with oil on the skin.

I may have to trial this with my bf ... he wants his chest done again. :)

I'd also been under the same impression, that we want to remove oil prior to waxing. So what oil would I use on which area, and what's the benefit of doing this? Please advise. Thanks

..."That was Marsha,she does great manicures,and if im going to the oil barons ball,i must get my nails done,they are in a mess...!"
Sue Ellen Ewing Dallas season 7

Because we were talking about using oil before waxing, my eyes played tricks on me and I read the above as 'If I'm going to oil the barons balls' LOL LOL LOL

PMSL...:green:

How interesting. I've had a few guys call up to make an appointment for a massage and waxing. I've said no for two reasons, 1) I'm still building up my confidence in it and don't want to make it over complicated including other treatments and 2) I wasn't sure about waxing with oil on the skin.

I may have to trial this with my bf ... he wants his chest done again. :)

I think we need a bit of clarification here. Using oil before waxing, you just apply a very thin layer of oil to the surface of the skin to make the wax stick to the hair not the skin. Personally I wouldn't do a massage before or after waxing as you don't want to be actually working the oil into the skin when waxing.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

I think we need a bit of clarification here. Using oil before waxing, you just apply a very thin layer of oil to the surface of the skin to make the wax stick to the hair not the skin. Personally I wouldn't do a massage before or after waxing as you don't want to be actually working the oil into the skin when waxing.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!
And somebody correct me if IM wrong Sarah,specific brands such as Reference,actually advocate massage or "modellage" as its called,after a wax as part of the treatment.

In France beauty is a law unto itself:lol:...unlike in The uk,we play it safe.i.e,massage is a no no after waxing.

The difference is French women see waxing as a treatment,rather than a nessecity....buts its an interestin point you made sarah...im sorry if i went slightly off topic:green:

Well there you go, you learn something new every day, as they say. You'll have to give me more info on that Gabi!

And somebody correct me if IM wrong Sarah,specific brands such as Reference,actually advocate massage or "modellage" as its called,after a wax as part of the treatment.

In France beauty is a law unto itself:lol:...unlike in The uk,we play it safe.i.e,massage is a no no after waxing.

The difference is French women see waxing as a treatment,rather than a nessecity....buts its an interestin point you made sarah...im sorry if i went slightly off topic:green:

That's just one of the many reasons why I love the French! :D When Perron Rigot's head trainer came over earlier in the year she was most surprised to learn that we Brits rarely do any kind of 'modellage' after waxing - "that's the nicest part!"

That's just one of the many reasons why I love the French! :D When Perron Rigot's head trainer came over earlier in the year she was most surprised to learn that we Brits rarely do any kind of 'modellage' after waxing - "that's the nicest part!"
I forgot to add Perron rigot...oops:green:

I think waxing has come along way since the days of the waxing 20 years ago:eek:

Clients dont expect a massage after they have been waxed and its a good way to incorporate clients into massage,therefore gaining more profit...:)

I have to say the jasmine oil from perron rigot is the most exquisite oil i have ever come across:green:

Wow well thats a new one for me to learn.

It sounds like it could make the whole waxing thing into a pleasant experience.

I shall certainly be giving it a go, and I know just the client to practice on (my best pall). :D

Latest posts

Back